DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
UNIX
2,407 Posts
I have both an RC32RF and the RC24 remotes set to control my R15 using RF. The "secret instructions" are in the little folder which comes wrapped around a new remote.

The REAL beauty is that you set the REMOTE to do the RF transmission. The R15 for its' part, still responds to both the IR signals and RF signals sent to it.

This is a great situation.

All this, and I'm using the R15-300 on the 0x104B operating system.

·
UNIX
2,407 Posts
For some reason, I lucked out and my first R15 came with the RF antenna in the box. However, my son in law's R15 came without it, so I decided to make an antenna for him.

My 'factory' antenna is 6-1/2" inches long. After lots of trial and error, I found that making the new antenna 11" long worked the best for me.

Just take a length of RG-6 coax and put an "F" connector on one end. About 1" out from the connector, use a plastic tube or a pencil to help you make a nice 90 degree bend in the coax. (In other words, don't make a sharp 90 degree bend that breaks the inner conductor.) Just above the bend, strip away the outer cable sheath, the ground braid and any foil wrapped around the inner conductor. You are left with the center conductor with a clear plastic covering over it. Removing the clear plastic cover doesn't improve the antenna at all.

If you want to experiment, just make your antenna extra long. Using trial and error, repeat operating the R15 from a distance. Keep a log as you keep snipping off an inch of so of the antenna. Again, in my case, 11" gave me the best range and reliability, but your environment may be different.

Once you've gone "too far" in snipping off the antenna length, you'll need to endure the expense of another scrap piece of coax and another connector.

It not only works great, but it looks as good, if not better, than the factory supplied unit.

·
UNIX
2,407 Posts
The best advice of all:

If you're going to spend money to get a new remote, why not get the RC32RF?? You will appreciate the backlighting and the more ergonomic keys. It is truly well worth the $25 that DIRECTV charges. Honest.

·
UNIX
2,407 Posts
senorgregster said:
I have the R15-300, and a RC32RF. The RF function works great EXCEPT the press and hold functions do not work for me. For example, the jump to end with the press/hold of the 30sec skip button. The remote os very nice aside from this.
In my case, the R15/300 and RC32RF work great together, even the press-and-hold functions. And no, I don't have any problems with 'double inputs' either.

Take heart - you are surely not insane, and I cannot believe the hardware (R15 or Remote) are that inconsistent.

SO: why not get out the booklet and perform the "go-back-to-factory-settings" move. Then, try re-establishing the the configuration that you are working for. From my experience, a simple timing issue while your are programming a remote can cause a rash of seemingly insane problems. Just try working through it again.

And most of all: good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.