Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
Edmund said:
One RF receiver per RF remote.
So it is not possible to set one RF remote to control two R15's independently, both via RF? In other words, you can only enable RF in the DTV position, and not in the AV1 or AV2 position...

But you can set one RF remote to control one R15 via RF in the DTV position, and a second R15 via IR in the AV1 or AV2 position...

Correct?

Carl

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
carl6 said:
So it is not possible to set one RF remote to control two R15's independently, both via RF? In other words, you can only enable RF in the DTV position, and not in the AV1 or AV2 position...

But you can set one RF remote to control one R15 via RF in the DTV position, and a second R15 via IR in the AV1 or AV2 position...

Correct?

Carl
Right, only one RF receiver per remote, and yes you can control one other receiver via IR on av1 or av2. That second receiver has to be set code 00002. Even though the remote is only RF, the receiver it is controlling accepts both IR & RF.

Unlike HD receivers, like the H20 & HR20, the receiver is RF only too, so you can control 3 receiver via one remote, DTV- RF, AV1-00001, and AV2-00002.

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
Edmund said:
Unlike HD receivers, like the H20 & HR20, the receiver is RF only too, so you can control 3 receiver via one remote, DTV- RF, AV1-00001, and AV2-00002.
But again in this case, two of them are still being controlled by IR, correct (the ones on AV1 and AV2)?

If I were to cover the IR sensor on the rf controlled R15, then it would seem you could do this on the R15 also. First one (DTV position) on RF, second one (AV1 position) on 0001 and third one (AV2) on 0002.

Carl

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
carl6 said:
But again in this case, two of them are still being controlled by IR, correct (the ones on AV1 and AV2)?

If I were to cover the IR sensor on the rf controlled R15, then it would seem you could do this on the R15 also. First one (DTV position) on RF, second one (AV1 position) on 0001 and third one (AV2) on 0002.

Carl
Yes, you could cover the IR sensor and only control it by RF.

But if you have any universal remotes, they will be unable to control the rf only receiver. Thats why I HATE RF only oem remotes.

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
directvj said:
I have a Universal URC-200 RF-capable remote, will that work directly with the R-15 in RF mode or do I need to buy/request an RC32RF?
No, you will need either Rc24 or the RC32rf. RF universal remotes like the urc-200 are IR only controlling remotes, that use their own RF frequency to do it from afar.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Are you saying that stripped down coxial cable is working as well as an antenna?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

bjflynn04 said:
I have 10F1 and I tryed it with my RC 32RF Remote and it did not work. After I pressed select the receiver made the error sound when you hit a wrong button then the receiver would not respond to any commands from the remote so RF is still not activated on the R15s.

Edit: I took an Coxial Cable and cut it and stripped it down to the wire and hooked up to the RF Remote on the back and tried the code again and it worked so I was wrong and the RF is activated on the R15s.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
Edmund said:
Only good for codes, you don't know a damn about me. Maybe you should learn:

Known as Tivoburkee, on dtv.com forums.

And edmund, at remotecentral
I didn't say you where only good for codes. It's just all I know you for. I will check out some of your other stuff. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like you where only good for codes.

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
senorgregster said:
Are you saying that stripped down coxial cable is working as well as an antenna?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Should work just fine, especially for only receiving. Trim back about 6" worth of the outer insulation and foil, leaving the foam and inner insulation intact. Put an F connector on the other end, and preso. If you really want to do it "perfect", find out what the frequency is for the rf remote (probably around 420MHz) and make the trim back a 1/4 wavelength.

Carl

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
prashp1 said:
Can I use Dish Network UHF antenna? Does it have to be RF antenna? Does it make a difference? Thanks
see response in your other thread.....

·
Legend
109 Posts
carl6 said:
If you really want to do it "perfect", find out what the frequency is for the rf remote (probably around 420MHz) and make the trim back a 1/4 wavelength.
Carl
Carl not sure what you mean about trim back a 1/4 wavelength (I know nothing about radio waves, etc.)? Would this coax antenna work as good as one I would purchase?? I saw a dishnetwork one for 5.95 on ebay,,, what do you think?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
If you are not picky about the range, almost any wire or rod will work.

If the 420MHz figure is accurate, the rod, or trimmed portion of coax, should be about six inches long to be a quarter-wavelength. If I had an RF remote I wanted to use with an R15, I'd try the six inch length and see how it works.

·
UNIX
2,410 Posts
For some reason, I lucked out and my first R15 came with the RF antenna in the box. However, my son in law's R15 came without it, so I decided to make an antenna for him.

My 'factory' antenna is 6-1/2" inches long. After lots of trial and error, I found that making the new antenna 11" long worked the best for me.

Just take a length of RG-6 coax and put an "F" connector on one end. About 1" out from the connector, use a plastic tube or a pencil to help you make a nice 90 degree bend in the coax. (In other words, don't make a sharp 90 degree bend that breaks the inner conductor.) Just above the bend, strip away the outer cable sheath, the ground braid and any foil wrapped around the inner conductor. You are left with the center conductor with a clear plastic covering over it. Removing the clear plastic cover doesn't improve the antenna at all.

If you want to experiment, just make your antenna extra long. Using trial and error, repeat operating the R15 from a distance. Keep a log as you keep snipping off an inch of so of the antenna. Again, in my case, 11" gave me the best range and reliability, but your environment may be different.

Once you've gone "too far" in snipping off the antenna length, you'll need to endure the expense of another scrap piece of coax and another connector.

It not only works great, but it looks as good, if not better, than the factory supplied unit.

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
I was only guessing at the frequency - there is a lot of consumer crap in the 420 range (shared with ham who have priority use of that band south of line A).

Based on gct's comments, I'd give the 11 inch cut a try. If my recall of the forumla is correct, an 11 inch quarter wave translates to about 268 MHz. Or maybe it's working as a half wave, and the frequency is 536 or so.

Carl

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
When you activate the RF capability, should IR still work? Mine does, but it seems flaky.

I activated RF a couple of days ago, and IR had stopped. So I "turned off" RF and turned in back on, and now both work.

What are others seeing regarding this?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
qwerty said:
Maybe look up the FCC ID of the remote to find the freq?
Doing so finds an application for 433.92 MHz (and two other applications, which I presume to be channel 3 and 4 NTSC).

21 - 40 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.