DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening! New member here, 11 year D* customer. I presently have an R10 that has performed great till the December follies w/D*. Not knowing that it was not a unit problem, I called D*, discussed the probs (reboots), and they sent an exchange unit. Of course it was an R15-300. Not to complain about the discussion, but was never told that it wouldn't be an R10.

Now my ??s:

My son, who installed these things for awhile, likes the R15 in many ways, but says there are some diffs (which I expect). One I'm wondering about is whether you can switch between tuners while watching D*. He doesn't think so, and there is nothing in the manual about it.

There seems to be a great deal of dislike (!!!) for the R15 and, I guess, also a lot of those who haven't had any or many problems. I'm thinking I will hook up the "new" one and test drive it. Compare and like or dislike. Has anybody had any probs w/D* reconnecting the old unit if the exchange is not what was expected??

Sorry for rambling, will probably think of other ?s after a test. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Gerry

· Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
No it doesn't have the dual live buffers like the R10, so you can't switch between the two tuners.

There are those that have had problems with their R15. I've had mine for over a year and love it. It will probably take you some to get used to it because the GUI is completely different from the Dtivos.

· Mentor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TigersFanJJ: "No it doesn't have the dual live buffers like the R10"

Since have been reading a bunch of stuff here today, did I see something about an update that would install or activate dual live buffers? OR, was I reading that over on the TIVO site??

Thanks.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
There is a software update being sent out for the R15 right now. It does NOT include dual live buffers, and the best bets and guesses at the moment are that the R15 will probably not get them (most unfortunately I might add).

With regard to your R15-300, do yourself a favor. Before you start using it, do a reformat. That just might save you a lot of anguish, especially if you have to do one later and lose a bunch of recordings.

As to your question about re-activating your R10, should be no problem at all doing so.

Carl

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
They are looking at DLB for at least the HR20, not sure what is going on in the R15 side of the house with this feature right now.

· Hall Of Fame
1,528 Posts
One of the main differences between the R-10 and R-15 is the R-10 works reliably (until a week or two ago when DirecTV messed up something on them (on purpose to make the HR20/R-15 look better some claim)), the SP/SL's only record what you want 99% of the time, rarely if ever any lockups, the playback controls and indicators always work properly, there are no TDL or SP/SL limits, etc....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.