DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving locally within the Raleigh area next week, and am wondering if the HD locals are going to be on 118 or 129?

Given the tougher LOS on 129, if the HD locals are on 118, then I'll avoid 129 altogether and go with a two dish install to pick up 61.5. If I have to pick up 129 for the HD locals anyway, then I'll push for a 1000+. Given what I am reading about Dish not wanting to put 1000+ up on the roof, sounds like I may have to get a contractor install if I go that route.

·
Super Moderator
53,112 Posts
To get Raleigh HD locals you will need at least a 500+, which is exactly the same dish as the 1000+ ... the only diference being the 129° LNB is not installed. The install issues related to a 1000+ would still apply to the 500+ . Since Raleigh has not been released it is always possible that it will move, but for now plan on 118° and a "plus" dish.

If they end up being released on 129° or 61.5° you won't need a "plus" dish.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Raleigh is unfortunately in that not-yet-available limbo... so we don't know yet when we will see them or where, though the other couple of markets released on 118 are still there... so that tends to make me think Raleigh will be there when they light up too.. but no real word yet that sounds official.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HDMe said:
Raleigh is unfortunately in that not-yet-available limbo... so we don't know yet when we will see them or where, though the other couple of markets released on 118 are still there... so that tends to make me think Raleigh will be there when they light up too.. but no real word yet that sounds official.
When I called to set up the move, I didn't have a CSR that would/could answer the question as to what satellite the Raleigh HD locals will be on. Best I could get out of her was that the new install would be "exactly the same" as my current install. I currently have a second dish to pick up 61.5, as I have too many trees to pick up 129.....I'll just wait and see how good an installer shows up, and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Yeah... I had a CSR once tell me that Raleigh HD locals would go on 129... when I called about another question and just decided to ask while on the phone... but that same CSR also said there was no HD on 61.5 (including what I'm watching right now) so I pretty much ignored that phone conversation :)

Bottom line is that we probably won't know until we know... As a new customer I wouldn't worry about trying to wait... but as an existing customer I keep waiting to pull the trigger on a 622 upgrade to see what might happen with the locals.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HDMe said:
Yeah... I had a CSR once tell me that Raleigh HD locals would go on 129... when I called about another question and just decided to ask while on the phone... but that same CSR also said there was no HD on 61.5 (including what I'm watching right now) so I pretty much ignored that phone conversation :)

Bottom line is that we probably won't know until we know... As a new customer I wouldn't worry about trying to wait... but as an existing customer I keep waiting to pull the trigger on a 622 upgrade to see what might happen with the locals.
The installer put up a single 500+ at my new house. Since I was able to pick up 129 (got lucky at the new house and had a good LOS to 129), the single 500+ provided 110, 118, and 129..... The installer didn't know anything about likely local High Def channel mapping, so as you say, we won't know until we know....

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
wmcneil said:
The installer put up a single 500+ at my new house. Since I was able to pick up 129 (got lucky at the new house and had a good LOS to 129), the single 500+ provided 110, 118, and 129..... The installer didn't know anything about likely local High Def channel mapping, so as you say, we won't know until we know....
Not sure if you typoed there... but a 500+ would only pickup 110/119 and the 118.7

To get 129 you would have a 1000 or a 1000+ (the + being to get the 118.7).

Are you sure he didn't install a 1000 dish? If he really just installed a 500+ dish, then you would be missing 129 or 61.5 in order to get the rest of the HD.

Just checking... as some folks have actually had installers leave with installing the wrong dish before!

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HDMe said:
Not sure if you typoed there... but a 500+ would only pickup 110/119 and the 118.7

To get 129 you would have a 1000 or a 1000+ (the + being to get the 118.7).

Are you sure he didn't install a 1000 dish? If he really just installed a 500+ dish, then you would be missing 129 or 61.5 in order to get the rest of the HD.

Just checking... as some folks have actually had installers leave with installing the wrong dish before!
Yes, it is a 1000+ dish, I was having a moment of confusion when I typed 500+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.