DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally had it with customer service reps who know less about their product than I do...so here's my rant:

Being a rural customer of Dish, I know I will be losing all my network programming on 12/1 (nothwithstanding Dish's assertions of last-minute congressional action - which we know isn't coming). I therefore call Dish and speak with a person in the retention department (they don't call themselves this...but that's their role). I have to say that she was very polite and understanding. Unfortunately, she really didn't know anything and over our lengthy conversation I tried to explain to her what the distant network issue was about. I had to do this because she expressed to me that the same thing could very likely happen to DirecTV as well. She read me all of her scripts she had been provided. She also gave me misinformation about my lease and contract which I had her check three times and she was wrong every time. Long and short of it, she did a good job not cancelling me and I tired of debating with her so I said I would call back.

I ordered DirecTV and the install was scheduled for last Saturday. The installer showed up, was a nice guy but was confused about a few things and didn't have the OTA antenna that was in my order. So for the last week I haven't had my local stations that I could get over the air. He said he would get back to me.

Same day...I call Dish to cancel my account. This person wasn't quite as pleasant as the first but not rude or anything. She was even less informed though than the first retention person. She told me that after Dec.1 no provider can provide distant networks...not DirecTV, not Comcast (???). I politely said that actually that isn't accurate and the prohibition only applies to Dish. She said she was sure that nobody after Dec. 1 can provide distant networks...to which I said that wasn't accurate and I stopped trying to convince her. She did actually cancel my account. Of course, since my credit card was charged for the coming month they don't refund me the remaining three weeks I paid for. So basically, for stealing $50 bucks from me it's unlikely I would return as a customer.

Now, the horrow show....DirecTV. For some reason the stations I ordered weren't on so I called Direct. I don't have enough energy to detail the difficulty I have had getting such a simple problem remedied but eventually everything was corrected. Also, my OTA antenna has never showed up. Between the two problems I have spent hours on the phone over the last week.

I can honestly say, without exaggeration, that the Direct customer service reps are the least helpful and least knowledgeable reps I have ever dealt with from any company. The total lack of knowledge of their own product coupled with a total disinterest in helping the customer clearly indicates that their call centers need a complete overhaul. There were a couple of exceptions...those people who actually were eventually able to help. However, I have come to the conclusion that there is no disincentive in their procedures manual with regard to transferring calls with abandon. I have never been transferred so many times. On two of my calls I was transferred no fewer than 5 times at the end of which I would be cut off and would have to call back in and start over again.

I'm really not a complainer, and try to be understanding of the pressures of customer service because many customers can be difficult. It's just very troubling that these persons know so little about their jobs, and that it costs me several hundred dollars of my time just to accomplish things that should take no more than a five minute phone call. It's like I'm dealing with the guy from the Chronicles of George site.

And...someday I hope to receive my OTA antenna that I already paid for. It's only been a week but I'm missing football on CBS for two weekends. (Maybe this is a scheme to make me watch the games on Fox).

·
Legend
169 Posts
I had just the opposite experience. As a satellite TV virgin I researched and did homework on both companies for a few months before I took the plunge. The deciding factor came down to DISH not giving me a straight answer on all the bogus charges I would receive. DTV was straight up and I didn't get different answers everytime I called like I did with DISH. So in the end I signed up with DTV and really haven't looked back since. DTV rocks!!!. They could go with a little less compression, but I'll take it over DISH and Cable.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FavreJL04 said:
I had just the opposite experience. As a satellite TV virgin I researched and did homework on both companies for a few months before I took the plunge. The deciding factor came down to DISH not giving me a straight answer on all the bogus charges I would receive. DTV was straight up and I didn't get different answers everytime I called like I did with DISH. So in the end I signed up with DTV and really haven't looked back since. DTV rocks!!!. They could go with a little less compression, but I'll take it over DISH and Cable.
I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully I've just been incredibly unlucky to this point. You are right though...the HD is compressed. Having had Dish and Direct on the same day I could easily compare and Dish is clearly superior on the HD quality. None of it comes close to my HD-DVD though...they should all be called HD Lite compared with that.

·
Legend
169 Posts
I don't have the HD. I was talking about the SD compression. Its not atrocious or anything like that. I think the R15 DVR produces a better picture than the standard D11 recievers do though. It is a little easier to watch football on the R15 than the D11 when they pan the camera left to right like they do on a punt or deep pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.