DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,645 Posts
Jim5506 said:
I have found Antennaweb to be quite sensitive to terrain.
That's because it is... up to a point. Here's the FAQ item:
Antennaweb FAQ said:
Do these antenna recommendations take terrain into account? I live in a mountainous area and reception can be difficult.

Yes, the algorithm used by this web site to recommend categories of antennas for your location uses terrain data from two sources, the USGS and NASA's shuttle radar terrain mapping project. This is important because, unlike AM radio signals, TV signals are line-of-site and don't follow the curvature of the earth. This means that obstructions such as hills, trees and buildings between the transmitter and the receiving antenna can block the signal entirely or reflect the signal into the antenna twice (ghosting). For best results in areas impacted by terrain, be sure to use your complete street address including house number, as well as city, state and ZIP Code.
Given that the information specific to your rooftop probably isn't in the USGS or NASA databases, I don't think it is fair to assail them for using the best available information. They try to condition the predictions with questions about how many stories your house is and what kind of obstructions you can see, but you have to be telling the truth and they have to assume some sort of average density.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.