DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
manicd said:
I did lose my distants recently. And being over two hundred miles from the transmitters, there is no way to pick up the signal even with a two mile high antenna. There are several 14,000 foot mountain ranges in the way.

I did like the distants for they knew how to tell time. They started their programs on time instead of the 2 to 3 minutes before the hour like the locals assigned to me. They must have a bunch of pr-schoolers working in their programming and engineering departments that haven't learned how to tell time yet.

Even one of the so-called locals sent me a waiver stating that since I am not even in any a, b ,or c grade contour that my getting a distant was okay with them since wasn't even in the local broadcast area.

They are not losing any local advertising revenue since I would not travel over 200 miles by greyhound bus to shop there. And the only other advertising in abundance is for cars and I'm not buying.

And for there statements for local news and weather being important, what a joke. They are they called locals, because they ONLY cover the local news and information for their city. The only cover other areas if something earth-shattering happens there. Who care who stubbed their toe on main street in their city. What difference is it that I watch a program form New York, LA, Denver, Atlanta since none of the actual local information applies to me.

The congress really need to do away with the Nielsen DMAs. Nielsen has always been a worthless company. It really needs to be a simple rule of thumb applied.

If you can't pick up NBC, CBS, ABC, or that Fox channel with what the FCC considers a conventional rooftop antenna, that you can legally mount on you dwelling under certain circumstances then distants should be legal. If the cost of proving it is on the homeowner, to prove it so be it. With reimbursement from the networks when the homeowner was right and the networks were wrong. It is the networks responsibility to get the signal to you in a reasonable fashion.

I know for a fact that Decisonmark uses outdated info for their database. I had to provide them with informations County Commissioners names, phone numbers etc to prove that the county was no longer rebroadcasting any major networks since the people of the county didn't want to pay for the the towers.

Don't even mention that joke of a site called antennaweb. They don't have any idea what is really being broadcasting in a given area. A lot of the stations and translators have been off for years. If what is shown for my ares was correct I wouldn't need satellite. Again a company that uses outdated information and gives out false information.

Both companies should be required at their expense by law to actually to go out in the field and VERIFY what is really out there and not rely on lists provided by the NAB and/or FCC. Until that time they should be shut down for giving out false and misleading information.

This is my this humble opinion of course. And if the aforementioned companies can PROVE the 100% reliability of their database I will stand corrected.
Enuff with your rant now do something about your problem. Contact antennaweb with your up to date information and the documentation from the stations. They contact you and then things could be changed to reflect the situation for your area.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
How do you think that antennaweb gets it's info. From the FCC and then if it is incorrect then if they are contacted by other sources with documentation then they can change what is in their data base. So it is not just their company they have to have help. Get off the soap box and let someone know that you can't get signal. Ranting on this forum doesn't change your problem. But proof to antennaweb and NPS will change it. In short expend some of that pent up energy getting something done instead of just B'in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.