DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Legend
233 Posts
manicd said:
I did lose my distants recently. And being over two hundred miles from the transmitters, there is no way to pick up the signal even with a two mile high antenna. There are several 14,000 foot mountain ranges in the way.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you find them soon. :) If the mountains are an obstacle then the distance to the transmitter is not really relevant. Perhaps a 3 mile high (15,840 feet > 14,000 feet) antenna would work?
I did like the distants for they knew how to tell time. They started their programs on time instead of the 2 to 3 minutes before the hour like the locals assigned to me. They must have a bunch of pr-schoolers working in their programming and engineering departments that haven't learned how to tell time yet.
I think the start times are intentional. If you are talking about network programming, I'm not sure how they do this but since you know when program X starts (whether 11:57 or 12:00), I'm not sure what the problem is. Are you sure that your clocks aren't slow?
Even one of the so-called locals sent me a waiver stating that since I am not even in any a, b ,or c grade contour that my getting a distant was okay with them since wasn't even in the local broadcast area.
If you are in a white area a waiver is not necessary. Alternatively, if you have a waiver then what contour you are in doesn't matter. Which is it?
They are not losing any local advertising revenue since I would not travel over 200 miles by greyhound bus to shop there. And the only other advertising in abundance is for cars and I'm not buying.
What you would or would not do as an individual is not relevant. In any case you have received a waiver - how do your shopping habits impact this issue?
And for there statements for local news and weather being important, what a joke. They are they called locals, because they ONLY cover the local news and information for their city. The only cover other areas if something earth-shattering happens there. Who care who stubbed their toe on main street in their city. What difference is it that I watch a program form New York, LA, Denver, Atlanta since none of the actual local information applies to me.
I dunno, I think the fact that a psychotic killer has been seen in your area or that a tornado is heading your way might be important. I doubt that WABC is going to let you know. Although they might send a team to interview your surviving family members or photograph your leveled house after the fact. Local stations cover these type of events for their entire viewing area.
The congress really need to do away with the Nielsen DMAs. Nielsen has always been a worthless company. It really needs to be a simple rule of thumb applied.
I'm sorry to let you know but we are not living in North Korea. Congress may choose to alter the method used for qualification but they have no authority whatsoever to "do away" with a private company. I can only hope this statement is the result of your frustration and you will think more clearly once you calm down. Otherwise this is the scariest thing you have said.
If you can't pick up NBC, CBS, ABC, or that Fox channel with what the FCC considers a conventional rooftop antenna, that you can legally mount on you dwelling under certain circumstances then distants should be legal. If the cost of proving it is on the homeowner, to prove it so be it. With reimbursement from the networks when the homeowner was right and the networks were wrong. It is the networks responsibility to get the signal to you in a reasonable fashion.
Umm, under such circumstances DNS are probably available (but (again) since you have been granted a waiver it doesn't matter). Why can't you take "yes" for an answer?
I know for a fact that Decisonmark uses outdated info for their database. I had to provide them with informations County Commissioners names, phone numbers etc to prove that the county was no longer rebroadcasting any major networks since the people of the county didn't want to pay for the the towers.
Since when is it a local government's responsibility to provide towers for private TV stations? Even if the county chose to build such towers (it does happen) and lease space for antennas, it does not turn the county into a rebroadcaster. For the third time, you have waivers - what difference does this make to you?
Don't even mention that joke of a site called antennaweb. They don't have any idea what is really being broadcasting in a given area. A lot of the stations and translators have been off for years. If what is shown for my ares was correct I wouldn't need satellite. Again a company that uses outdated information and gives out false information.
Your story has grown tiresome.....
Both companies should be required at their expense by law to actually to go out in the field and VERIFY what is really out there and not rely on lists provided by the NAB and/or FCC. Until that time they should be shut down for giving out false and misleading information.
And ve have veys of making them talk.... You know I am really annoyed at DBSTalk.com - I'm sure somebody has posted false or misleading information - how can I get the feds to kick down some doors, shut down this site and take James Long away in chains?
This is my this humble opinion of course. And if the aforementioned companies can PROVE the 100% reliability of their database I will stand corrected.
Perhaps we should apply this same standard to the conduct of whatever business you are in. Just my humble opinion, of course.:nono2:

·
Legend
233 Posts
Tower Guy said:
All of Colorado is covered by LiL. Manicd is in a LiL market. His desire to watch DNS is a preference, not a right. Two rants don't make a right.
It should be obvious (by now) that Manicd (anybody want to analyze this name?) is not concerned about reception of TV signals but rather is out to right the wrong of the erroneous database. He has put on his armor, jumped on his white steed and is now jousting with windmills. To dream the impossible dream.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.