DBSTalk Forum banner

Ratings and receivers...

1287 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  joshjr
I am curious if anyone knows if there is any tracking of the channels the receivers are on when watching DirectTV - not as a big brother type of thing, but for determining which channels are big hits, not doing so well, or for purposes of ratings, etc...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to turn off the TV and leave the receiver on a channel all night long, which would/could give this a false read...

thanks
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
DIRECTV does pay attention to what is being watched, but that can only happen when the receiver has a return communications channel.

PPV and VOD downloads are another way they can track what subscribers are watching.
If you allow it, D* will collect viewing information from your receivers. This is done via their “phone home” through POTS or Ethernet. You can opt-out of this collection if you want. Sign-in to your online account and look here:

Attachments

See less See more
Thanks - I'll give that a look-see - I don't mind them getting what channels we're watching - only curious as to if it happens or not
George Lewis said:
I am curious if anyone knows if there is any tracking of the channels the receivers are on when watching DirectTV - not as a big brother type of thing, but for determining which channels are big hits, not doing so well, or for purposes of ratings, etc...

I'm sure I'm not the only one to turn off the TV and leave the receiver on a channel all night long, which would/could give this a false read...

thanks
Yes they do collect viewing data, and if you hit the ACTIVE button on your remote, there are a series of screens where they present some of that data in the form of several categorizations of what shows are being watched most on DirecTV right now.

Also it's not all that hard to detect and discard questionable data that might be a result of someone leaving the DVR on unattended.
Thanks... I'll check that out :)
rudeney said:
If you allow it, D* will collect viewing information from your receivers. This is done via their "phone home" through POTS or Ethernet. You can opt-out of this collection if you want. Sign-in to your online account and look here:
You can also Opt-In as well as leaving the Anonymous collection that is the default.
Good. They'll know I'm watching FNC, and I want it in HD!
capegator said:
Good. They'll know I'm watching FNC, and I want it in HD!
No, they will know that you still watch FNC even though it's not in HD. :lol:
Hope they don't watch too closely... they will find out about AirRocker and the Playboy channel :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That Smoke watches NASCAR reruns :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That Tcusta00 is spending an inordinate amount of time on QVC...:nono2::nono2::nono2:
Yeah, I don't want them knowing how much Lifetime is watched in our household...
how does directv know that i didnt just leave the channel on QVC all day and am away on vacation? I can fully understand that any recorded show being watched should be known as being 'watched' but for times when you press live and just a channel is on (even from a suggestion) and you leave your house etc, i dont get how they can claim we are 'watching' anything.

heck i have suggestions on and it records stuff off the -5 stations..stuff i'd never truly watch
I've been watching the Active programs and it appears FNC is definitely the most watched for the most part... usually where mine is as well LOL

thanks again
rudeney said:
If you allow it, D* will collect viewing information from your receivers. This is done via their "phone home" through POTS or Ethernet. You can opt-out of this collection if you want. Sign-in to your online account and look here:
I kind of like it. I would love to be one of the ones that has the Neilson ratings monitored in their home. To me it would be like my opinion on tv counts for something.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top