DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the HR20 hooked up to my Westinghouse LVM42-w2 LCD monitor. When going through the HR20 remote setup, if I recall correctly there's only one code for Westinghouse (either that, or there are 3 and only one worked with my monitor). However, even though I can control the monitor volume with the remote, I can't get the "TV Power" button to work. Instead, I have to slide the device selector to TV and then press the center power button (TWICE!).

Is there any way to get the TV power button to work? Are there any other remote codes I don't know of for my TV and this remote?? I have searched but I can't find any that work.

I know it sounds lame, but it would be so much better to have working for my wife and for other family who comes over to visit. :grin:

Thanks,
Bob

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given that it's been about 2 months since I first posted this, I have a strange feeling we're not going to get an answer.

I absolutely love the PQ of my Westy, but I'm very unhappy about a few small issues like this. Sometimes I wish I just went for something else by a bigger name brand like Panasonic or Samsung.

Bob

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Harmony 880. I'm not too happy with it for the HR20 yet. I had major problems with it charging when I first got it. The main problem was related to the way it sits in the charging cradle and it's a KNOWN PROBLEM with a certain run of them. Eventually, Logitech replaced mine, however the new one has started acting up when placed in the charger. There are other issues related to my Westy too. Mainly the fact that there's no specific button that will jump directly to the HDMI (which I am using). So, when using the macros, if your inputs get out of synch, you with what the remote "Thinks" it's on, you end up going to the wrong input. It's hard to understand until you've experienced it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash the Harmony or tell you not to get it, but it just doesn't work perfectly for my needs.

Bob

8 Posts
I actually have a harmony 880 on my main JVC TV and I have a similar issue. There is no direct code the HDMI2, so I have to go to Video4, then next input twice. Works pretty well, just takes a little longer.

The Westinghouse is in another room. Sounds like I will have the same issue. Do you know if there is an "next input" command for the harmony?

-Bryan

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bopfer said:
I actually have a harmony 880 on my main JVC TV and I have a similar issue. There is no direct code the HDMI2, so I have to go to Video4, then next input twice. Works pretty well, just takes a little longer.

The Westinghouse is in another room. Sounds like I will have the same issue. Do you know if there is an "next input" command for the harmony?

-Bryan
Yep, there's a "Next Input" function. I'll have to try that. Good idea.
Bob

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I have found that cleaning the contacts on both the 880 and the charging cradle helps quite a bit. There was some dark "****" which accumulated on the cradle contacts.

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bobnielsen said:
I have found that cleaning the contacts on both the 880 and the charging cradle helps quite a bit. There was some dark "****" which accumulated on the cradle contacts.
Yeah, thanks, but my first one with the problem started the moment I took it out of the box and it was brand new from DELL. It was definitely a problem with the remote/cradle.

The second one is only about 2 months old and the contacts are perfectly clean. Not one spec of dirt/dust on them. Most of the time it will work fine. However, every now and again it has trouble making contact and beeps once, then twice and comes out of charge mode. I'm dealing with it, but I think I'd rather have a remote with AA batteries.

· Mentor
40 Posts
I have the 32" Westinghouse HDTV. I was able to find the code by doing a manual code search. Power ON/OFF and Volume work with the RC24. Be patient though becasue I'm out of town (on the laptop in a hotel right now). I wrote the code down in the manual for my HR20. I'll call my wife tomorrow and post the code in this thread, I promise!
Here are the directions for a manual code search. This is from the manual for my D10-300, which uses the same RC24 remote. These instructions are not printed in the HR20 manual, but work for the RC24 in general.

I edited the following for TV's specifically. The code is 9911 in line 4!

Perform a Code Search

If you were unable to find a code for your brand of TV,
you can try a code search.This process may take up to 30 minutes.

1) First turn on the TV
2) Move the slide switch near the top of the remote control to TV
3) Point the remote away from your DIRECTV Receiver and components.
Press and hold MUTE and SELECT until the light near the
slide switch on the remote flashes twice (about 5 seconds).
4) Enter 9911
5) Press the PWR key on the remote control.
6) Point the remote to the TV or component and press CHAN UP.
Repeatedly press the CHAN UP until the TV or component turns off.
7) When the TV or component turns off, the press SELECT.

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drillbit said:
I have the 37" Westinghouse HDTV. I was able to find the code by doing a manual code search. Power ON/OFF and Volume work with the RC24. Be patient though becasue I'm out of town (on the laptop in a hotel right now). I wrote the code down in the manual for my HR20. I'll call my wife tomorrow and post the code in this thread, I promise!
That would be great. Thanks! Just to be clear, do you get your westy to turn off using the RC24's TV ON/OFF button? Or do you have to slide the selector switch (top middle) to TV and press PWR (this is what I have to do)?

Bob

· Mentor
40 Posts
You won't have to slide the selector! :) The Westy and the HR20 will turn off or on simultaneously when you press the TV Power buttons (on or off). And the volume can be used to control the Westy volume if you don't have a separate audio receiver/tuner. I found two codes the other day. One enables the TV Power buttons and volume, and the other code enables the TV Power but not the TV volume in case you are using a separate receiver. Works great!

Chris

EDIT: I revised the bold text in my first post above to make it TV specific.

· Mentor
40 Posts
The codes for all newer Westinghouse HD TV's that I found while doing a manual code search last week are:

Power and TV volume 10885

Power only, no TV volume (if you have a separate tuner for your audio and don't need the TV volume to work) 10857

These codes work with the RC24 remote, and should (I haven't tested them) work on the RC32 and RC34. For those of you that have those remotes, try the codes and see; if they work or not, post the results here please! Thanks.

The following is how to program the remote with the above code of your choice:

Programming Your Remote Control

1) Move the slide switch near the top of the remote to TV.

2) Point the remote away from your DIRECTV Receiver. Press and
hold MUTE and SELECT until the light near the slide switch on the
remote flashes twice (about 5 seconds).

3) Enter the five-digit code for your TV

4) Test the remote by pressing the PWR, VOL and MUTE. If the
remote does not control your television, repeat steps 2 and 3, using
a different five-digit code.

Once your remote is programmed to work with your TV, the VOL
and MUTE key will work regardless of the slide switch position.

Chris

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried the 10885 code and although it would allow me to change the volume, it would not turn off the TV when hitting the "PWR" button. Also, it did not allow me to change the TV Input even though I went through the steps to enable that.

I ended up reverting back to 10000 as my code and I'm exactly where I was when I started this thread. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway! :)
Bob

· Mentor
40 Posts
Sorry to hear that. That code works on my Westinghouse LTV32W1. It is over a year old, so the only thing I can say is that W made some changes and your newer model will have a different code. Did you try to do a code search, which I detailed in an earlier post above? That's how I found the one that works on mine.

· Icon
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drillbit said:
Sorry to hear that. That code works on my Westinghouse LTV32W1. It is over a year old, so the only thing I can say is that W made some changes and your newer model will have a different code.
Yeah, most definitely different firmware that will handle the remote commands. You'd think they'd be somewhat the same, but no...
Drillbit said:
Did you try to do a code search, which I detailed in an earlier post above? That's how I found the one that works on mine.
Yeah, I tried that when I first got the HR20 and went through way too many tries and I gave up. Maybe some day I'll find it when I have the time and patience to sit through it.

I really appreciate you trying to help. Thanks!
Bob

· Mentor
40 Posts
Dang, I was confident that I'd found the codes for Westinghouse TV's in general.
When I get home I'll double check the codes in case I wrote them down wrong.

· Mentor
40 Posts
OK, I sorted out the remotes I have and found out a few things.

I have a couple of D10-300 units upstairs, with RC23 remotes. My new HR20 came with an RC34 remote. The code 10885 works with my Westy with the RC34.
But if I program that code into an RC23 remote, I cannot control my Westy. I did get it to respond with the code 10000, but I had to slide the function switch to turn it off, and the TV volume would work with the slide in any position.

So if any of you with Westinghouse TV's want full functionality (Power ON/OFF at the same time you turn off the HR20) and volume control, get an HR34 remote.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.