DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a RC64R Remote that suddenly stopped working. When I put in a fresh set of batteries, the green light above the toggle switch blinks a couple of times and then it stops. Then, when I press any button on the remote, there is no response.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
 

·
Remote Master
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
If your receiver is set to RF mode, you might have to remarry the remote to the receiver:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the RID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After the initial double blink of the green light after I put in new batteries, the light does not blink thereafter for any other button press.

The reset procedure does not seem to have any effect at all.

Any other ideas?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, does the double blink (after inserting new batteries) mean anything?

When I put in batteries in another remote, the light does not flash or blink.

But, on the remote that stopped working it does blink.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mertzen said:
Redownload software: reset, then 02468.
After boot redo RF setup.

Just fixed a similar problem like this.
I'm a little confused about this. It's the Remote that has stopped working, not the receiver. Other remotes control the receiver just fine.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlueSnake said:
Maybe this is a silly question, but are you sure the batteries are good?
Batteries are brand new and when I place them in another remote, they work just fine.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
567 Posts
siding with FB on this one. troubleshooting remotes is a pretty quick call for us.
1> replace batteries
2> try any function on remote (either receiver or volume for tv)
3> try other remote on rec to verify not an IR sensor issue

since it seems you've done this already, what you're looking at is:
1> 15.00 to replace remote (ir remote, 25.00 for rf) w/o protection plan (shipped or check with your local best buy if they carry them in house)
2> waived (one time) if you add protection plan at time of call.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
DBSNewbie said:
I'm a little confused about this. It's the Remote that has stopped working, not the receiver. Other remotes control the receiver just fine.
I know. But I had a perfectly good remote not work either and after a redownload it did. but hey, you're the boss.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
432 Posts
TigersFanJJ said:
Try moving the slider switch to the tv position, then back to the Directv position.
I have had the problem ever since I got my HR-21 with the remote working intermittently, mainly when I first power on the receiver. I usually have to slide the switch to the TV position and back and that would solve the problem 80% of the time. Other times, I would just have to wait because always after 5-10 minutes the remote would start working.

However, yesterday when I got home, the problem occurred and none of the normal remedies worked. So I went and got the remote for my HR20. No luck. So I went and got my Harmony remote. No luck.

I went into the remote setup on the HR21, checked to make sure it was on IR. Still nothing.

Then 10 minutes later, after letting is sit untouched it worked for 2 commands, then stopped briefly and started working again for the rest of the night.

I guess mine could be a problem with the IR sensor, any thoughts.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
sacalait said:
I have had the problem ever since I got my HR-21 with the remote working intermittently, mainly when I first power on the receiver. I usually have to slide the switch to the TV position and back and that would solve the problem 80% of the time. Other times, I would just have to wait because always after 5-10 minutes the remote would start working.

However, yesterday when I got home, the problem occurred and none of the normal remedies worked. So I went and got the remote for my HR20. No luck. So I went and got my Harmony remote. No luck.

I went into the remote setup on the HR21, checked to make sure it was on IR. Still nothing.

Then 10 minutes later, after letting is sit untouched it worked for 2 commands, then stopped briefly and started working again for the rest of the night.

I guess mine could be a problem with the IR sensor, any thoughts.
It's hard to tell without playing around with it but it does sound like the sensor on the receiver is goofed. What type of lighting do you have in the room and do you have them on when it is giving you problems? Florescent lighting has been known to cause interference with IR.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
432 Posts
TigersFanJJ said:
It's hard to tell without playing around with it but it does sound like the sensor on the receiver is goofed. What type of lighting do you have in the room and do you have them on when it is giving you problems? Florescent lighting has been known to cause interference with IR.
It shouldn't be a lighting issue. I have indirect light in the room when watching TV. No Florescent lighting.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top