DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the buttons on my RC73 remote have quit working. I have tried new batteries and resetting the remote and HR44 but the same buttons that worked still work and the ones that didn’t still don’t. I give up unless someone has a suggestion on something else to try. The remote is only about a year old.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
If you have the protection plan with DirecTV they will send you a new one for free. If not you can buy them pretty cheap on eBay or Amazon cheaper than what DirecTV will sell you one for.

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the protection plan with DirecTV they will send you a new one for free. If not you can buy them pretty cheap on eBay or Amazon cheaper than what DirecTV will sell you one for.
I actually weaseled this one out of DirecTV for free. Just disappointing it didn’t last long so I hesitate to spend money on another one. I have a Harmony remote that does the job but not as convenient to operate without having to look as the RC73.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Walmart has nice backlit r73bs for around $25. I’m sure if called retention, they’d send you a new one for free.
I didn’t go through retention but they sent me this one for free even though I didn’t have protection plan. i might give it a try again. Just checking to see if there was anything else I could try to fix this one.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Then ask DTV for the new remote and send/sell it to TS ;)
What a brilliant idea! But why should I get all the glory using "your" suggestion? Nah, that wouldn't be right. I feel much better letting you do that. Go for it. That way dlt4 gets a new remote and you can continue to pad your post count with useless banter. :D

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Walmart has nice backlit r73bs for around $25. I’m sure if called retention, they’d send you a new one for free.
The backlit remotes are a lot slower than the unlit remotes. I bought both recently and used the backlit one once and now it sits on a window sill unused. Every backlit remote I've had has had a slow response time. Didn't matter, I gave up on the peanut remotes and went back to the old ones from the 24s.

Rich

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,430 Posts
What a brilliant idea! But why should I get all the glory using "your" suggestion? Nah, that wouldn't be right. I feel much better letting you do that. Go for it. That way dlt4 gets a new remote and you can continue to pad your post count with useless banter. :D
I offered a solution (I would do that if I've the PP) and expected I'm calling a courtesy man.
Well, my mistake, you just did the move which you did point you finger, tsk... sounding like Scrooge McDuck :p

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
You can buy one on Amazon for under $10.00 with free shipping if you have prime. By the time you (or MysteryMan) got a free one and sold it to the dlt4 and someone paid for shipping it would probably cost more than the dlt4 buying one himself.

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was hoping someone could suggest something to try to fix the problem but it seems my only options are to buy another or continue using the Harmony. I’m a little hesitant to buy another considering this one didn’t last long at all, but since I have prime at the moment I might try another one

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I am on my second one on my C61K since September 2018. I got the 2nd one back in late summer 2021 so guessing the first one was almost 3 years.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I was hoping someone could suggest something to try to fix the problem but it seems my only options are to buy another or continue using the Harmony.
If it costs you more than a few minutes to repair a $15 item, you've arguably wasted your time. I don't think it is reasonable to assume that failures are all that common. There's usually a reason that remotes fail prematurely. It might be interesting to crack the remote open and see what got into it but I wouldn't expect to fix it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts