DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Panasonic Viera HD TV and a 311 SD receiver. I am not yet set up for HD, so trying to connect with the RCA cables as was the case with my older TV. It doen't look like a color match (missing yellow connection on the TV) of the RCA cables, so I was wondering if the newer HD TV's don't allow for the RCA connection as opposed to the straight coax connection.

· Legend
146 Posts
"thopki2" said:
I have a new Panasonic Viera HD TV and a 311 SD receiver. I am not yet set up for HD, so trying to connect with the RCA cables as was the case with my older TV. It doen't look like a color match (missing yellow connection on the TV) of the RCA cables, so I was wondering if the newer HD TV's don't allow for the RCA connection as opposed to the straight coax connection.
Does the TV have S-video?
You may want to try a VCR if you have one with composite inputs or an RF modulator if there is not a yellow video input on the TV.
Otherwise, you would have just the coax as an option from the 322 box (as I would think the 322 would have that) to the TV. However, I am not sure if that will look great on an HD TV.

Some new TVs do have the yellow input. Sometimes it is on the back of the TV or:and the side of the TV. I think some have them underneath; I think a Vizio had that.

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Usually the Green is the composite video input.

· Godfather
363 Posts
RasputinAXP said:
Usually the Green is the composite video input.
+1 This is what I see a lot. Look for a Yellow ring around the Green component port - that's an indication that it does double duty. Worst case you can always hook it up coax on Ch3. I'd definitely be calling in for an HD upgrade though.

· AllStar
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, when I get home will give it a try. If I remember correctly the green is "Y/Video" with no yellow circle around it. I am already setup with the coax connection, and yes, the HD will be in the near future.
Thanks for your help.

· Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Yup, Y/video means Y for component and Video for composite. That'll work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.