DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Godfather
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loaned a RCA DVR39 DirecTivo box by a friend who had to suspend his service due to house moves, etc.

Last night, finally, got the new access card, got it activated, and everything appears to be working OK - almost.

The Tivo box was a little slow on some of the menu functions, sometimes taking 5-10 seconds for the DirecTV Central menu to appear. This got better after it made its first phone call. However, the menu still lists that there are "New Messages" which presumably came in while the previous owner had the box connected to his service.

When I try to go to the read messages menu option, the receiver display just hangs. I can choose any other menu option from the "Messages and Setting" menu, but choosing messages results in the screen clearing of text, a new "Messages" heading appearing at the top of the screen, but then no listing of messages appearing below. At this time, all remote and front panel button functionality is lost. Also, it doesn't time-out of this display.

I actually left it like that and went to bed, thinking maybe if it had a few hundred messages from its earlier life, it might take half-an-hour to bring up the listing of them on the screen. This morning, it was still showing the same display. While I could not access any other function of the receiver, it hadn't completely hung as the red light indicated a program was being recorded! However, I had to pull the power plug to reboot the system and get back to normal operation.

I guess I could function without ever trying to read the new messages the D* system sends me, but I would rather see them. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem or have a work-around for this sort of thing?

Thanks

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is a bug in the TiVo software.
He probably had a daily message go into his Message box.

And basically... it got over full.
The bug is that once it get's that full, there is no way to get in there to clear it out.

So basically... either he has to live with the icon, and never read the messages again... or he has to format the unit.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
If it's hacked (or can be), run this:
Code:
echo MfsRubbishTree /MessageItem/MessageBoard | tivosh
I've never done it, but it's supposed to do what you want.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,459 Posts
walters said:
If it's hacked (or can be), run this:
Code:
echo MfsRubbishTree /MessageItem/MessageBoard | tivosh
I've never done it, but it's supposed to do what you want.
Actually, walters, your sig has the easiest solution-just do a clear and delete everything (aka reformatting the HDD). That would ensure that all messages were deleted.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Newshawk said:
Actually, walters, your sig has the easiest solution-just do a clear and delete everything (aka reformatting the HDD). That would ensure that all messages were deleted.
I assumed he had recordings, etc. he didn't want to lose.

FWIW, my signature is referring to the R15. In six years I've never needed to clear and delete all on a DTiVo, but I had to do it within one month of using the R15.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.