Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 3 receivers. A DVR522, 510 and an older DP301.
Several weeks ago while talking on the phone I noticed a sound on my phone like someone picking up another phone.
At the time it did not bother me much as I don't talk on the POTS phone often(had VoIP).
Now I'm back to regular phone service again and this constant sound of picking up another phone extension is starting to get annoying.
It happens about every 5 minutes or less while I'm talking on the phone.
I know it's not another phone as I can see the only other phone on my line.

So today I had enough and unplugged the phone from all 3 of the receivers.
Made some test calls and sure enough, the problem was solved.

I then plugged in each receiver one at a time and also did the diagnostic phone connection test at that time which passed on each receiver ( I also did this prior to disconnecting the line and always a good test).

The last receiver to be plugged in was the old DP301.
The problem returned shortly after plugging the phone into this 301. So it looks like the 301 is the cause of the problem.

My main question is, will they start hitting me with the $5 fee for no phone line if only the 301 is not connected to the phone line?
Both the DVR 510 and 522 will remain connected and I also do not ever order PPV with the 301.

Anyone see a problem with leaving the 301 disconnected from the phoneline?

Thanks All!

·
Super Moderator
53,138 Posts
Worst case scenario would be that the 301 would be deactivated for not calling in. It is odd that it is trying so often.

BTW: I recently got a caller ID box with the same bad habit. I can hear it "click/click" from across the room when it checks to see if I have any voicemail. It does this every six minutes or so. The 301 shouldn't be checking so often.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
James Long said:
Worst case scenario would be that the 301 would be deactivated for not calling in. It is odd that it is trying so often.

BTW: I recently got a caller ID box with the same bad habit. I can hear it "click/click" from across the room when it checks to see if I have any voicemail. It does this every six minutes or so. The 301 shouldn't be checking so often.
It is odd. I do have an LED indicator on my line that lights whenever any phone extension including sat boxes take the line off-hook.
When I'm not talking on the phone, the 301 does not try and connect.
It only does such when I'm talking!
I think it lost its ability to sense the correct voltage on the phone line.

I'd forgotten but I do have a spare 301 from when I bought the 522 so maybe I'll see if dish will let me swap them or give me a guarantee that they will not charge me or deactivate the faulty 301.

·
Legend
212 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. The $5 fee is just for dual tuners and I've seen plenty of single tuners (including 301s) that have never been plugged into a phone line... ever.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Plugging and unplugging units trying to dial-in might prompt an audit call though.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
kruser said:

I'd forgotten but I do have a spare 301 from when I bought the 522 so maybe I'll see if dish will let me swap them or give me a guarantee that they will not charge me or deactivate the faulty 301.
Why would you think that Dish might not "let" you replace 301's? :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.