DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Legend
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not quite white-trashy enough to wrap up my old Dtivo (Sam 4080) unit and give it as a gift, but I am planning to give it to my mother. She is still fiddling with VHS tapes and screwing it up constantly. My question is wether there will be any trouble to do this with Directv. When I purchased a used unit off of ebay I had some troubles with the first CSR rep as she told me I "can't do that". But when i called back a few minutes later not only did the lady do it for me, she was able to do it with the card that was already in my standard box and I did not have to order a new card for $20 or whatever they charge.
With them pushing their own DVR's will they try and tell me I can't re-activate this box for my mom to use? Or should it be okay? It was mine prior to whatever the March 2006 thing (I have no clue I have just seen that date mentioned) so it was not leased. Can anyone give me some tips on what I need to say or who to call. I would appreciate that. I would like to get this done while I am there in person (out of state) over Christmas, so if a new card is needed I would like to have her order it ahead of time, but easiest would just be a card swap from their regular box.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
So far, I've never had to order a replacement card for any receiver that was either up to date or did not have PPV enabled. I've moved units back and forth from the various accounts in my family all the time, no problems.

I think there is a problem if the card wasn't disconnected cleanly from D* and the possibility that it could owe money to them.

Then again, YMMV

(Glad I wasn't at today's game in Lambeau. Left that to Dad, brothers, and sister.)
Tom

· Legend
100 Posts
Hi,
For used euipment, I know for a fact that you would have to buy an access card for the $20. So when you call in ask to be transfered to the Access card distribution team.

· Icon
808 Posts
If you have an existing receiver that you'd like to replace with the DTivo then the CSR should be able to swap the card for you. You don't always need to buy a new access card. It mostly depends on which CSR you talk to. If one says you need a new card, politely decline, hang up, and call back and talk to a different CSR. You'll eventually get one that will swap the card for you.

If, for some reason, you are completely unable to get the card swapped you will have to purchase a new card for $20. DTV will ship it to you via overnight FedEx so if you're going to be at your Mom's for a few days during the week the card should arrive while you're still there. Just make sure you have officially deactivated the DTivo from your account before attempting to activate it on her account.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.