DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called D* cutomer retention and kindly insisted upon being forwarded to a "manager." That took some doing, but I was finally sent.

I've been with D* for years, and have been upset about the poor performance of my HR20 to date. I'm extra upset because I paid the "full" price of $299 for the unit. Was curious to see if they would give me a small break on the price due to the issues to date - or atleast let me return the unit. I was professional and nice about it. I obtained mixed results.

1.) Retention completely denied any knowledge of trouble with this unit (even the manager) - they claimed ignorance to the fact that people have been suffering glitches. They recommended that I reformat the unit and start over with the latest firmware (is a reformat really valuable?). Manager was very nice and did want to collect as much information as possible. I gave her a brief history of my problems to date. She also expressed much interest in checking out this forum. I gave her the URL and "dropped" Earl's name as the head honcho with all the info/connections (in an effort to provide validation of the site info quality). She said she would corral the leaders and review the site. She admitted that the site sounded like a well connected source and a great place to find input - thanks EARL!

2.) I paid $299 for the HR20 (nothing else included, I already owned the AT9)
After half an hour of calm discussion all I could squeeze out of the manager was a $140 credit. Fair enough - that'll ease my pain some.

3.) One last intersting point, the manager flat refused to allow me the option of returning the HR20 for full credit of $299 (due to the issues). She claimed that option expired after 7 days or activation of the unit, whichever happens first. This suprised and dissappointed me. The conversation ended amiably.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SParker said:
Way to throw Earl under the bus.. :eek2: :D
Throw him under the bus? No-nononononoo. I'm trying to give him the credit he deserves for all his hard work here. You've got the wrong idea here?:confused:
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
1) It is not surprising that a "manager" may not know of the issues... why? the HR20 is not the only product in the DirecTV fleet. So with the number of manager out there, I am sure they don't get a daily updated list of what the HR20 team is working on this week.

2) As for "throwing" me under the bus... hardly, and I don't see what he did as doing so.... Not a big deal. I have gotten PM's from CSRs when they find the site because some one told them about it, I have even got a few calls at home everyonce and a while.

It is not like I am hiding, or I am doing something wrong.

I am no stranger to DirecTV... I have being doing this now for over 6+ years (forum life). Heck... I still remember the fall out when I accidently found the hidden MRV screen on the R10...

I like what I do.. for what ever crazy reason.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Anyone here a Star Trek TNG fan?

My favorite episode, is the last one...

"All good things..."

I know its off topic - but I thought I'd just throw it out there. ;)
Seriously...

WANDERER did nothing wrong by "name" dropping....
I don't see it like that, and neither should you.

It is a GOOD thing, if more DirecTV reps visit (and they don't even have to participate). Why.... we are the front line... and we seem to find issues faster then the "average" consumer.

In the last 3 months... THIS particular forum, TCF, and a few others places... have made SIGNIFICANT progress in getting issues resolved, fixed, and otherwise... have made a large difference in the entire 16 million subscriber base for DirecTV in some fashion, even if they didn't know it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
1) It is not surprising that a "manager" may not know of the issues... why? the HR20 is not the only product in the DirecTV fleet. So with the number of manager out there, I am sure they don't get a daily updated list of what the HR20 team is working on this week.

2) As for "throwing" me under the bus... hardly, and I don't see what he did as doing so.... Not a big deal. I have gotten PM's from CSRs when they find the site because some one told them about it, I have even got a few calls at home everyonce and a while.

It is not like I am hiding, or I am doing something wrong.

I am no stranger to DirecTV... I have being doing this now for over 6+ years (forum life). Heck... I still remember the fall out when I accidently found the hidden MRV screen on the R10...

I like what I do.. for what ever crazy reason.
I'm glad that's your take on things - that's how I figured you would respond. But hey - is there any truth to the reformat suggestion?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Seriously...

WANDERER did nothing wrong by "name" dropping....
I don't see it like that, and neither should you.

It is a GOOD thing, if more DirecTV reps visit (and they don't even have to participate). Why.... we are the front line... and we seem to find issues faster then the "average" consumer.

In the last 3 months... THIS particular forum, TCF, and a few others places... have made SIGNIFICANT progress in getting issues resolved, fixed, and otherwise... have made a large difference in the entire 16 million subscriber base for DirecTV in some fashion, even if they didn't know it.
If D* were my company - Earl - you would be required reading for all my development folk as well as the CSR managers/others. I could tell that she was not kidding - she really did not have the performance problems information. To me that's amazing afterall this is D*'s flagship DVR -
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Seriously...

WANDERER did nothing wrong by "name" dropping....
I don't see it like that, and neither should you.

It is a GOOD thing, if more DirecTV reps visit (and they don't even have to participate). Why.... we are the front line... and we seem to find issues faster then the "average" consumer.

In the last 3 months... THIS particular forum, TCF, and a few others places... have made SIGNIFICANT progress in getting issues resolved, fixed, and otherwise... have made a large difference in the entire 16 million subscriber base for DirecTV in some fashion, even if they didn't know it.
I hope you are right. Having worked as a CSR for the automotive companies in a prior life, I have a rather jaded view of the management decisions that get made in those call centers. It doesn't take long to develop an "Us" vs "Them" mentality. And while the automotive business is completely different, D* was inderectly owned by one of them until recently and I cannot imagine the culture being that much different.

As someone who is having odd problems with this new receiver, I highly value what you do, Earl. I hope D* takes the high road once they read this forum and don't try to circumvent the benefit their customers derive from it. I can see them having issue with it.

I will say that every time I have talked to CSR recently (past month), my experience has been that they have suprised me with their level of professionalism.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
WANDERER said:
I'm glad that's your take on things - that's how I figured you would respond. But hey - is there any truth to the reformat suggestion?
Truth... no not really... Reformats have helped clear out data that may have gotten corrupted by a pervious version.

But on a larger scale... no not really.

Think of it this way:

Windows XP installed... you work with for it for a year
Then SP1 comes out, you install it.... work with it for a year
Then SP2 comes out, you install it.... work with it for a year... start having problems.

What do most people do then, if they can't solve the problem via any other method.

The reformat the system directly to Windows XP SP2 (the latest version).

Same thing here... something may have tweaked something on the hard drive,and the new version simply doesn't handle it well...
So yes, sometimes a Reformat can clear up your problems.

But it should be done after you have tried everything else.
 

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
SParker said:
Way to throw Earl under the bus.. :eek2: :D
D* knows that Earl has the info he does. He's not stealing it. They're working with him. Go to forums.directv.com and there's even something by D*'s own people pointing to this forum about Earl's closed captioning post. While Earl doesn't work FOR them, he's obviously seen as a sort of community liason between us and them. They have no reason to be upset because he's acting in a capacity they appreciate (as do we).

That Earl is, in fact, in a position to know some people in the know and pass on the info he can makes me more comfortable about the direction D* is going. When I was a Dish customer my interaction with Dish was to call in to Charlie Chat, ask for more HD and be told there was no compelling content. :rolleyes:

This is far superior.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jaywdetroit said:
I hope you are right. Having worked as a CSR for the automotive companies in a prior life, I have a rather jaded view of the management decisions that get made in those call centers. It doesn't take long to develop an "Us" vs "Them" mentality. And while the automotive business is completely different, D* was inderectly owned by one of them until recently and I cannot imagine the culture being that much different.

As someone who is having odd problems with this new receiver, I highly value what you do, Earl. I hope D* takes the high road once they read this forum and don't try to circumvent the benefit their customers derive from it. I can see them having issue with it.

I will say that every time I have talked to CSR recently (past month), my experience has been that they have suprised me with their level of professionalism.
She was highly professional, and she was also un-informed. Neither of us left the conversation with a bad attitude. I think she was genuinely happy to have this info for review. How would you like to be an un-informed CSR having to deal with problem calls? It's better to have an edge. She wanted input because D* wants to be the best! We can help them achieve that goal, afterall that is the point here, right?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
WANDERER said:
She was highly professional, and she was also un-informed. Neither of us left the conversation with a bad attitude. I think she was genuinely happy to have this info for review. How would you like to be an un-informed CSR having to deal with problem calls? Its better to have an edge. She wanted input because D* wants to be the best! We can help them achieve that goal, afterall that is the point here right?
Yes I agree- The goal is to be the best. I just hope DirecTV sees it that way. They have an image to uphold. And a couple hundred techno geeks on a forum is a minority. I'm in agreement with you, Wanderer. Like I said, I'm a bit jaded, and I can see the ugly corporate side to this.

And just to clarify- I was suprised by their VERY HIGH level of professionalism. So I agree with you there too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jaywdetroit said:
Yes I agree- The goal is to be the best. I just hope DirecTV sees it that way. They have an image to uphold. And a couple hundred techno geeks on a forum is a minority. I'm in agreement with you, Wanderer. Like I said, I'm a bit jaded, and I can see the ugly corporate side to this.

And just to clarify- I was suprised by their VERY HIGH level of professionalism. So I agree with you there too.
Ok! 'nuff said - except, give us some credit! We number in the thousands! :D :) I'm only a professional mechanical engineer - I'm not sure I deserve the techno nerd moniker. :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Yes I agree- The goal is to be the best. I just hope DirecTV sees it that way. They have an image to uphold. And a couple hundred techno geeks on a forum is a minority. I'm in agreement with you, Wanderer. Like I said, I'm a bit jaded, and I can see the ugly corporate side to this.

And just to clarify- I was suprised by their VERY HIGH level of professionalism. So I agree with you there too.
I've had some great chats with retention (and they paid off well), but are they really plugged into tech issues? They should be by design, of course, since they handle complaints. But I called tech support the other day, and the fellow I spoke with also seemed to be in the dark about the issues with the HR20 (he wasn't aware of the software downloads, for example). He wanted to just send me a new box right from the start. I was going to call back and request one, but now this one seems to be behaving, after some weird tries at righting it (a reset and removal of the BBCs). But the next time I get any major issues (lockups, BSODs, etc.), I am calling for the replacement. Just in case. They already have it noted on my now-lengthy account database.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tstarn said:
I've had some great chats with retention (and they paid off well), but are they really plugged into tech issues? They should be by design, of course, since they handle complaints. But I called tech support the other day, and the fellow I spoke with also seemed to be in the dark about the issues with the HR20 (he wasn't aware of the software downloads, for example). He wanted to just send me a new box right from the start. I was going to call back and request one, but now this one seems to be behaving, after some weird tries at righting it (a reset and removal of the BBCs). But the next time I get any major issues (lockups, BSODs, etc.), I am calling for the replacement. Just in case. They already have it noted on my now-lengthy account database.
I was triply suprised they flat refused a return of the unit - I guess that might set a precedent eh? :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
WANDERER said:
I was triply suprised they flat refused a return of the unit - I guess that might set a precedent eh? :)
Yeah, that's one less thing they have to deal with, a full-blown refund. They'd rather just keep sending new ones. Call back and get a regular retention rep, see if you can sweet talk her (or, ahem, him) into another discount/credit. I swear, the irony here is I called to complain about the availability of the HR20 at Best Buy (backordered) and the woman gave me an instant $250 credit, plus 6 mos. of $20 a month off. BB then dropped the price, from $399 to $299, so I came out ahead. Of course, I had already signed up for my two-year commitment when I got the free H20 and A9 dish (due to a installer no-show). So all in all, this has been cheap. If and when I ever move to an alternative, it will have been a cheap ride with D*, apart from my $100-plus Premium bill every month.

HDTVfan, you didn't read that (about my profiting from the deal).
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top