DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the realistic signal strength for 61.5 on the Eastern Arc? I have a clear shot and it rarely get's over 50. Have had it adjusted to get it there since originally it was installed and only got in the low 40s. My concern is when it rains it seems to be a lot more sensitive than DirectTV was. It had to rain real hard to get it to go out. It seems like a normal rain shower will cause it to go in and out. I am in the Greenville, SC area.
The installer was aiming at the 72 satellite and said if it gets that then it should get 61.5 OK. It seems like the installers are not very knowledgeable on the Eastern Arc requirements.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
tsanders3 said:
What is the realistic signal strength for 61.5 on the Eastern Arc? I have a clear shot and it rarely get's over 50. Have had it adjusted to get it there since originally it was installed and only got in the low 40s. My concern is when it rains it seems to be a lot more sensitive than DirectTV was. It had to rain real hard to get it to go out. It seems like a normal rain shower will cause it to go in and out. I am in the Greenville, SC area.
The installer was aiming at the 72 satellite and said if it gets that then it should get 61.5 OK. It seems like the installers are not very knowledgeable on the Eastern Arc requirements.
61.5 is very solid. Those of us in the NE, and some of the other areas of the country that require it, have had much less problem than those using 129. Not sure about the others on the eastern arc. There certain may be some problems with installers aiming the new dish.

I haven't re run a test of signal strength, but here are some I posted back in March. Note I use a dish 300 which probably should get lower signal strength then the larger 1000.4.

61.5 Dish type: Dish 300 (DPP 44)
Receiver: VIP 622 L4.49
1: 0%
2: 55%
3: 37% (name not acquired)
4: 45% (name not acquired)
5: 41%
6: 57% (name not acquired)
7: 41% (name not acquired)
8: 57%
9: 45%
10: 60%
11: 46%
12: 71%
13: 31%
14: 71%
15: 41% (name not acquired)
16: 55%
17: 43%
18: 59%
19: 48%
20: 40%
21: 45%
22: 41%
23: 55%
24: 51%
25: 56%
26: 0%
27: 55%
28: 35% (name not acquired)
29: 57%
30: 37%
31: 54%
32: 50%

· Hall Of Fame
3,193 Posts
I have a clear shot and it rarely get's over 50.
Keep in mind that "50" does not mean what it used to mean. They changed the signal strength scale (even though it still goes to 125).

What I'd like to see is a chart with old scale vs new scale so we'd have a better idea what a good reading is. For example on the old scale you needed a ~44 to get a lock, onthe new scale it's down to 10.

· AllStar
54 Posts
Any orbitals signal strength depends on where you are located in the country. There are also topographical issues that come into play along with dish settings. The 61.5 is the lowest sat in the eastern arc trio. in Greenville, or the 296xx zip code area, the dish settings should be:

Azimuth: 167

Elevation: 48

Skew: 76

Are there any trees or other obstructions in the direction the dish points? Check for trees that can sway into the line of sight and branches that might dip or swing into the line of sight. For the 61.5 you can check line of sight with a compass and inclinometer at 145 azimuth and roughly 42 elevation (it's always good to have around 5 degrees of play). Also on a multi-orbital setup the dish has less surface area to receive those signals on the outside of the dish. I'm guessing your check switch shows 61.5, 72.7, and 110 on a wing dish for your local market SDs. Also check the mount to be sure it is stable and if pole mounted that there is no left/right play from improper installation. You should be getting anywhere from mid 40's to high 50's in that area.

· Mentor
33 Posts
tnsprin said:
61.5 is very solid. Those of us in the NE, and some of the other areas of the country that require it, have had much less problem than those using 129. Not sure about the others on the eastern arc. There certain may be some problems with installers aiming the new dish.

I haven't re run a test of signal strength, but here are some I posted back in March. Note I use a dish 300 which probably should get lower signal strength then the larger 1000.4.

61.5 Dish type: Dish 300 (DPP 44)
Receiver: VIP 622 L4.49
1: 0%
2: 55%
3: 37% (name not acquired)
4: 45% (name not acquired)
5: 41%
6: 57% (name not acquired)
7: 41% (name not acquired)
8: 57%
9: 45%
10: 60%
11: 46%
12: 71%
13: 31%
14: 71%
15: 41% (name not acquired)
16: 55%
17: 43%
18: 59%
19: 48%
20: 40%
21: 45%
22: 41%
23: 55%
24: 51%
25: 56%
26: 0%
27: 55%
28: 35% (name not acquired)
29: 57%
30: 37%
31: 54%
32: 50%
I think your #'s are higher than reality. Here are real #'s taken tonight in VT for Eastern Arc install and 1000.4 dish for the Turbo HD silver + HBO/CINEMAX/STARZ channels:

02: 40%
19: 39%
20: 39%
21: 39%
22: 28%
24: 50%
25: 37%
30: 28%
32: 35%

13: 38%
17: 38%

Transponders 22 and 30 are the worst. Light rain drops them to 24% and heavy rain to 18-20%. Still appear to be just fine, but I would guess that a Tstorm will drown them out. Had the Dish repositioned twice and I have unobstructed views. I have heard and read here and on AVS that you need to add 45% to get the equivalent "old" signal #. Both Dish techs that positioned my dish said that in their EA training that the highest they were told they could get was 55%. I have these signals off a 222 and 612 - no difference.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a clear shot to the sky. Nothing to get in the way. We only have one dish and best I can tell it it only looks at 77, 72 and 61.5.
I looks like my signal strength is normal.
Fortunately it does not rain that often. I thought the 61.5 was supposed to be better in getting signal where others could not. I admit I am not as knowledgeable in satellite placement and what it means.

dishguy77 said:
Any orbitals signal strength depends on where you are located in the country. There are also topographical issues that come into play along with dish settings. The 61.5 is the lowest sat in the eastern arc trio. in Greenville, or the 296xx zip code area, the dish settings should be:

Azimuth: 167

Elevation: 48

Skew: 76

Are there any trees or other obstructions in the direction the dish points? Check for trees that can sway into the line of sight and branches that might dip or swing into the line of sight. For the 61.5 you can check line of sight with a compass and inclinometer at 145 azimuth and roughly 42 elevation (it's always good to have around 5 degrees of play). Also on a multi-orbital setup the dish has less surface area to receive those signals on the outside of the dish. I'm guessing your check switch shows 61.5, 72.7, and 110 on a wing dish for your local market SDs. Also check the mount to be sure it is stable and if pole mounted that there is no left/right play from improper installation. You should be getting anywhere from mid 40's to high 50's in that area.

· AllStar
54 Posts
If you are dropping in the rain it could be another issue and not your signal strength. Loose or corroded connections can cause drops during rain storms from getting wet. Wires can have cuts that aren't seen that get wet in storms. So many factors can play into signal loss. A bad ground block or barrel could also do the same but usually those problems appear erratic in time/weather occurrences. Hopefully the techs in your area use Super Sat Buddies and they can track issues like this using the DB measurement at each connection. A significant drop in DB strength is a sure sign of a problem either in the line or at a particular connection.

BTW, is your check switch showing the 77 orbital as active? I was under the impression that it was still blacked out. I haven't had a chance to see lately as 1k.4's are rare in my area and only install if you have no line of sight for the 119 sat and are having mpeg4 only receivers installed.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
thenamesash said:
I think your #'s are higher than reality. Here are real #'s taken tonight in VT for Eastern Arc install and 1000.4 dish for the Turbo HD silver + HBO/CINEMAX/STARZ channels:

02: 40%
19: 39%
20: 39%
21: 39%
22: 28%
24: 50%
25: 37%
30: 28%
32: 35%

13: 38%
17: 38%

Transponders 22 and 30 are the worst. Light rain drops them to 24% and heavy rain to 18-20%. Still appear to be just fine, but I would guess that a Tstorm will drown them out. Had the Dish repositioned twice and I have unobstructed views. I have heard and read here and on AVS that you need to add 45% to get the equivalent "old" signal #. Both Dish techs that positioned my dish said that in their EA training that the highest they were told they could get was 55%. I have these signals off a 222 and 612 - no difference.
Mine were real world but remember a dedicated dish 300 pointing at 61.5. A quick test today showed mostly similar numbers to what I posted. Differences in some that went spotbeam. Each location of course can get different numbers.

· Super Moderator
10,091 Posts
tnsprin said:
Mine were real world but remember a dedicated dish 300 pointing at 61.5. A quick test today showed mostly similar numbers to what I posted. Differences in some that went spotbeam. Each location of course can get different numbers.
Remember to peak 72.7 using transponders 19 or 21. My 72 numbers are similar, and from what I hear this is typical of this orbit right now.

· Registered
3,469 Posts
tnsprin said:
Do you think you're getting a better signal from a 300 vs. a 500? I'm thinking of replacing my 500 that points to 129 with a 300 and point it to 61.5.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will look at the 77 to see if it is active. The installers removed the old Direct setup and put in the new dish. It is using the same cable all the way in to the receiver. It was solid except for the heaviest of rain. I will try and check the connections on the dish it's self.

· AllStar
64 Posts
Installed my very first 1000.4 EA Dish today. It was a learning curve aiming initially, but eventually got it. On a 119/110 500 dish, I'd usually spend a couple minutes aiming the dish and almost always get the signals between 70 and 90 (with new scale). I'd be confident enough to clamp everything down permanently. Well today I was up and down the ladder a dozen times. Eventually the signal averaged in the low 70's for 61.5 and mid 60's for 72.7. I've never seen anything below 50 from my experience. The customer was happy since 119/110 was not an option up here.

· AllStar
61 Posts
I was just going to start a post on this. Newly installed about 2 weeks ago and am having problems with 61.5. As mentioned earlier transponders 3 and 22 are clearly the worst. They go in and out quite easily. The highest reading I get on transponder 22 in the best conditions is 15. Tonight there is a very, very light rain and I cannot get anything on 22 or 30. Am missing hockey on 30 (Fox Sports) and or the baseball game via 22 (TBS).
On some transponders on 61.5 I get quite high readings. For example, on (3) I think, I was getting over 50 signal strength at the same time I am getting nothing from 22 or 30. Fortuneatly my locals except for my sports channel apparently are transmitted from transponder 3.

I live in north central Minnesota. Am getting a little frustrated with dish at this point. Way too much hit and miss.

Sat. 72 seems pretty steady although I don't get all that high signal strength readings from that satellite. Generally run 26 to 38 depending on conditions and transponder. Seems to have to rain pretty good before I have any problems.

Advice or suggestions welcome. Do like watching programs in High Def.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
TulsaOK said:
Do you think you're getting a better signal from a 300 vs. a 500? I'm thinking of replacing my 500 that points to 129 with a 300 and point it to 61.5.
I would expect the 300 to get the lowest numbers since it is the smallest dish(about 18"). The 500 is larger at about 20". And the 1000.4 (and 1000.5) are larger yet.

I would just try swinging the 500 pointed at 129 to 61.5. You could always swing it back if you don't like the results.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
dishguy77 said:
Any orbitals signal strength depends on where you are located in the country. There are also topographical issues that come into play along with dish settings. The 61.5 is the lowest sat in the eastern arc trio. .
Not necessarily. It could be the lowest (most probable). It could be the highest. It cannot be the middle. It's all relative.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
Don't you carry a portable receiver/monitor combination? Probable save you a lot of time.

nismo said:
Installed my very first 1000.4 EA Dish today. It was a learning curve aiming initially, but eventually got it. On a 119/110 500 dish, I'd usually spend a couple minutes aiming the dish and almost always get the signals between 70 and 90 (with new scale). I'd be confident enough to clamp everything down permanently. Well today I was up and down the ladder a dozen times. Eventually the signal averaged in the low 70's for 61.5 and mid 60's for 72.7. I've never seen anything below 50 from my experience. The customer was happy since 119/110 was not an option up here.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
I would expect the 300 to get the lowest numbers since it is the smallest dish(about 18"). The 500 is larger at about 20". And the 1000.4 (and 1000.5) are larger yet.
But isn't the signal strength compromised by the shape and skew of the antenna (in order to get multiple satellites)? Everything being equal, bigger should be better but outside of a round dish, there are other factors that come into play. At least that's what I've read.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.