Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is it? LOLOL!

I know what it means (Over The Air). but I don't understand its significance.

And I only ask because it seems to be a very important issue around here, re: its capability being disabled in the new HR20.

What exactly will it offer when it does become available that the recievers currently do not provide?

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
There are two ways the HR20 can receive TV signals .... 1) via DirecTV's satellites using your satellite dish, and 2) via an over-the-air (OTA) antenna to receive your local digital TV channels. The OTA capability is not yet active, but should be in the next couple of months.

For folks that don't yet have DirecTV's Local HDTV channels beamed via satellite, the only way to receive their local HDTV channels is with an antenna. So this capability is very important to them. And even for those folks that do receive their local HDTV channels via satellite, not all of the local channels are offered. And the various sub-channels on some local digital TV channels are also not provided by DirecTV.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
There are three reasons for wanting OTA:

Missing Channels
Currently you receive 4 HD channels.

With OTA you should get 29 High Def channels in your market.

Check Antenna Web for details:
http://www.antennaweb.org/

Quality
OTA is typically the same or sometimes much better picture quality.

Reception in Bad Weather
Wind, rain, fog, etc. can have a much greater effect on Sat than OTA.

Take care,

- Craig

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
With OTA you should get 29 OTA High Def channels.[/B][/I]

- Craig
It would be great to get 29 OTA hi-def channels. Unfortunately there are only about four or five stations transmitting HD in most cities, there are more DIGITAL channels (but not HD) depending on where you live. Not necessarily 29 by the way. Many people can't receive ANY digital OTA channels, let alone HD.

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

As it turns out, OTA will probably not be any help for me. I live 70 from the LA transmitters, and am surrounded by mountains, so get really poor reception.

I wanted to switch to satellite for a long time since my local cable provider hadn't installed fiberoptics in my area, and we had a very poor menu of channels.

It was only after D* started offering network channels a few years back that I was able (willing?) to make the switch.

Based on what I'm reading here it looks like I'm in the same boat as a lot of other people of just waiting until the new satellites go up before I can look forward to any more HD channels. sigh...

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
texasbrit said:
It would be great to get 29 OTA hi-def channels. Unfortunately there are only about four or five stations transmitting HD in most cities, there are more DIGITAL channels (but not HD) depending on where you live. Not necessarily 29 by the way. Many people can't receive ANY digital OTA channels, let alone HD.
My answer was specific for bugtracker. I looked him up on antennaweb.org. But as he points out he has obstructions and will not be able to receive any OTA.

- Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.