DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had D* installed before but am getting a new install. For some reason they put a 3 LNB dish on my work order not a 5.(getting a HDDVR installed). I called and they say someone must have realized it after they did the order and noted on the install a Ka/Ku dish. Just wondering if i will have an issue with the tech
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
compnurd said:
I have had D* installed before but am getting a new install. For some reason they put a 3 LNB dish on my work order not a 5.(getting a HDDVR installed). I called and they say someone must have realized it after they did the order and noted on the install a Ka/Ku dish. Just wondering if i will have an issue with the tech
Common mistake, I guess, for someone that dosn't know a damn thing about the D* equipment. 3 LNB horns, must be 3 LNB dish. Time for some remedial training for the order taker.:rolleyes:
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,476 Posts
2dogz said:
Common mistake, I guess, for someone that dosn't know a damn thing about the D* equipment. 3 LNB horns, must be 3 LNB dish. Time for some remedial training for the order taker.:rolleyes:
If someone charged with taking orders doesn't understand the combination, it sounds more like someone in training and/or management is due for a ritual sacrifice.

As an aside, it seems like the software that the order takers use should be doing this automatically. CSRs seem quite fond of telling customers what "the software" will and won't let them do.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a supervisor from the retention dept, that took the order as well because of my circumstance
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well this is funny. Looks like the Slim lines parts come in seperate boxes now, one tech hooks up all the boxes and runs the extra line while the other tech puts the dish together. the other tech comes in and says he is missing the box with the masts!!. he left(left all of the boxes here hooked up) and is going to meet another tech to get a mast!! hope he gets back soon
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
compnurd said:
ah this is great, now he needs a LNB assembly
Don't know if I'd use the word "funny", maybe "sad". Make sure you get all sats on all tuners before they leave. You want to know that this LNB assembly that they come up with is not someone else's problem from yesterday's service call.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2dogz said:
Don't know if I'd use the word "funny", maybe "sad". Make sure you get all sats on all tuners before they leave. You want to know that this LNB assembly that they come up with is not someone else's problem from yesterday's service call.
Yeh, Question, Does the Slim Line Mast still have the level in it? the one they have looks correct but doesnt have the level
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,024 Posts
compnurd said:
Yeh, Question, Does the Slim Line Mast still have the level in it? the one they have looks correct but doesnt have the level
It should, but a lot of guys pull them out and throw them away. IMHO, a stupid move, now if it ever needs to be re-plumbed, the dish needs to be removed. Idiots. :mad:
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
compnurd said:
Yeh, Question, Does the Slim Line Mast still have the level in it? the one they have looks correct but doesnt have the level
I would ask them, if they're still there, or call then to get a bubble level. Probably have half a dozen of them in tool box, glove box, or the floor of the truck.

The bubble level actually works very well if you can get your eyeball directly above it without falling off the ladder. :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,969 Posts
DirecTV's dish manufacturing subcontractors have changed the 5-LNB dish packaging many times, and when those changes aren't communicated (and they almost never are), techs can end up without all of the needed parts. It's stupid, but it usually isn't the tech's fault.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
IIP said:
DirecTV's dish manufacturing subcontractors have changed the 5-LNB dish packaging many times, and when those changes aren't communicated (and they almost never are), techs can end up without all of the needed parts. It's stupid, but it usually isn't the tech's fault.
Yup,
The last shop I work with had Ka/Ku mounting heads in boxes of two but the mast,dish and LNB was shipped in boxes of four. (OR something like that) The three phase were shipped on boxes of four complete sets. The 18" were in single boxes. The clerk didn't know which multiswitch went with any of the dishes. He would also remove eq from trucks to return to the HSP office for inventory...without replacing the stuff or even telling anyone.

At least twice I arrived at jobs and stuff I had checked and counted the night before was gone. When they suggested I was going to have to help eat a second truck roll because I didn't have an H 20 aboard and didn't call the customer during the time slot..........I knew then it was time to move on.

Joe
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well going to either have to have them back out or peak the dish myself. 101 and 119 are perfect, 110 is low 80's and my 103c is only between 72 and 85.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
compnurd said:
Well going to either have to have them back out or peak the dish myself. 101 and 119 are perfect, 110 is low 80's and my 103c is only between 72 and 85.
Well, you're going to have to define "perfect". If 101 and 119 are perfect, then 110 is perfect also, just the geometry of the LNB assembly. For both 101 and 119 you want mostly all 90's with a good sprinkle of 100s. With that, then you just need to use the fine tuning knobs to peak up 103c to 90 and higher. Then you're perfect. :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2dogz said:
Well, you're going to have to define "perfect". If 101 and 119 are perfect, then 110 is perfect also, just the geometry of the LNB assembly. For both 101 and 119 you want mostly all 90's with a good sprinkle of 100s. With that, then you just need to use the fine tuning knobs to peak up 103c to 90 and higher. Then you're perfect. :)
101 and 119 are 94-100. 110 is 80-85 though
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
499 Posts
compnurd said:
101 and 119 are 94-100. 110 is 80-85 though
Concentrate on fine tuning 103c. As you move the fine tuning knobs, you are moving the whole LNB assembly left/right and up/down. Peaking 103c will now peak all 5 LNBs together. Geometry! :)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
507 Posts
2dogz said:
Common mistake, I guess, for someone that dosn't know a damn thing about the D* equipment. 3 LNB horns, must be 3 LNB dish. Time for some remedial training for the order taker.:rolleyes:
My new "5-LNB" only has 3 horns... I was told one of the horns does the work of 3 LNBs... The pictute in the HD DVR FAQ (post 16) seems to confirm this... I think it's kinda confusing to call something with 3 LNBs (to the uneducated eye) a 5-LNB dish...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
109 Posts
EricJRW said:
My new "5-LNB" only has 3 horns... I was told one of the horns does the work of 3 LNBs... The pictute in the HD DVR FAQ (post 16) seems to confirm this... I think it's kinda confusing to call something with 3 LNBs (to the uneducated eye) a 5-LNB dish...
It is a 5 LNB. the outer one is the 119, the middle one is the 110. the 99, 101 and 103 are so close together that they appear to be together. If you take the plastic cap off, you will see its actually 3.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top