DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the new thread, but I figured it deserved its own thread.

I have more info on what I think causes the "partial" recordings.

I noticed that on my R10 from Wednesday night, Lost and The Biggest Loser both showed up as 1 hour and 1 minute long. The Nine was scheduled to record at 10pm.

So it seems that the HR20 cannot handle shows that are over the 30 minute or 1 hour mark. That, or the fact that both shows were over 1 hour and there was a show on at 10 (indicating "three" shows recording at the same time).

Why it recorded the Nine and marked the other two prior shows as "partial" is beyond me. But we all know the Tivo units can handle this, since it knows that Lost and The Nine are on the same channel.

So Earl, this is in line with people extending recordings and it showing up as partial. It seems that the HR20 is not able to robustly handle shows that are not on a clean :30 or :60 time boundary. This should be an easy fix in the software, I'd imagine. It's just a matter of the HR20 knowing the shows are on the same channel and not thinking there is a conflict.

Hope this info will help them produce a fix! I've yet to receive the new software update, so I don't know if it'll fix it or not. I am pretty sure I can test this and break it by setting two shows at the same time to record 1 minute extra. I'll try that tonight and report back.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I don't know if it is releated... but none the less it is a good observation and can only help narrow down the problem.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
jkc120 said:
Sorry for the new thread, but I figured it deserved its own thread.

I have more info on what I think causes the "partial" recordings.

I noticed that on my R10 from Wednesday night, Lost and The Biggest Loser both showed up as 1 hour and 1 minute long. The Nine was scheduled to record at 10pm.

So it seems that the HR20 cannot handle shows that are over the 30 minute or 1 hour mark. That, or the fact that both shows were over 1 hour and there was a show on at 10 (indicating "three" shows recording at the same time).

Why it recorded the Nine and marked the other two prior shows as "partial" is beyond me. But we all know the Tivo units can handle this, since it knows that Lost and The Nine are on the same channel.

So Earl, this is in line with people extending recordings and it showing up as partial. It seems that the HR20 is not able to robustly handle shows that are not on a clean :30 or :60 time boundary. This should be an easy fix in the software, I'd imagine. It's just a matter of the HR20 knowing the shows are on the same channel and not thinking there is a conflict.

Hope this info will help them produce a fix! I've yet to receive the new software update, so I don't know if it'll fix it or not. I am pretty sure I can test this and break it by setting two shows at the same time to record 1 minute extra. I'll try that tonight and report back.
That's interesting. Are you able to play and watch the "partial" recordings up to the time they were truncated?

·
Legend
177 Posts
I've had the same problem 2 times since my HR20 was installed Sept. 30th. The first was a couple days after I got it and just yesterday it happened again. I have setup a "season pass" for General Hospital (for my wife) that has recorded ever since the 1st week of October with no problems. And you can't play partials because they only show up in the history section. My concern is are these partials taking up HD space?? Seeing that you can't delete them (that I know of) that would stink if you had a lot of partials.

Earl could you check with your sources on this for us?

Thanks!

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LameLefty said:
That's interesting. Are you able to play and watch the "partial" recordings up to the time they were truncated?
As Rockywwf said, you can't play partials :/

And that's an excellent question whether they take up space on the disk. If they do, that's REALLY bad. Because with the frequency of which it's happening for me, and the fact that they still show as partial after a reset, we're talking a filled disk sooner or later with only a format to clear it!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
Rockywwf said:
And you can't play partials because they only show up in the history section.
If you go into history and select it does it give you an option to play it? Over on the R15 side FLWindNut found out that he can play recordings that didn't show up in MYVOD from history. Maybe you would be able to do this on the HR20?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67467

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cabanaboy1977 said:
If you go into history and select it does it give you an option to play it? Over on the R15 side FLWindNut found out that he can play recordings that didn't show up in MYVOD from history. Maybe you would be able to do this on the HR20?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67467
Nope, it does not work. Selecting a "partial" recording has no option to play it. Nor does hitting the play button when the partial recording is highlighted play it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.