DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have an HR21-700, with a working external Esata Setup : Antec MX-1 and a 1TB WD10EACS, SIIG 3 foot cable.

Every time I reboot the receiver, all of the recording on the external MX-1 are gone. All the series recordings - everything. Wiped.

This has happened a few times and am getting a LOT of wife aggro.

:confused:

Once the reboot was due to a power outage - I chalked it up to bad luck. A few days later I manually reset the receiver (under Setup / Reset / used the "-" button etc.) Completely wiped HD, all my recordings on the external drive are gone, along with series, etc.

If I disconnect the drive entirely and reboot, I get all the original programs on the internal drive from like a month ago.

This is NOT how this is suppsed to happen, right? Is there something I am doing wrong? Suggestions, comments welcome - cheers.

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
" I disconnect the drive entirely and reboot, I get all the original programs on the internal drive from like a month ago."

This part is normal for the D* HD DVRs with the HRxx DVRs the external drive replaces the internal drive. Whatever is on the internal drive is still there waiting to spring to life when the external is unplugged.

No it shouldn't lose everything with a reboot. It sounds like a bad drive to me. It is possible that the drive takes to long to spin up and the DVR decides it needs formatting as on possibilty.

If it were my external I would put it on the computer and use it there. At a minimum I wouyld run thorough diagnostice on it to see if it is bad. If yoy can afford it why not try a Western Digital 1 Tb drive.

Put a few things on it and then reboot the thing multiple times and see what happens. If it acts up too then return it since you have a bad eSATA on the DVR. If it keeps working and not losing things then you know the source of the problem and can get ahold of Antec for warranty.

Another possibility if you have more than one HD DVR take the problem drive there and see if it acts up there too.

Also do you have a UPS? All of my DVRs are plugged into a UPS.

Anyway that is how I would troubleshoot things. Substitute known good hardware IOWs.

Good Luck

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
When you do a reset from the menu, always choose "Restart Receiver".

If by chance you ever choose "Reset Everything", this would erase all recordings and series links (along with all the other settings too).

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
Try this exercise that poster "tcherwin" came up with.

1) Do a graceful shutdown of the DVR.
2) Before you plug the power cord back in, turn off the External Drive.
3) Plug the power cord in and let the DVR RESTART. When it is done you will have the contents of your Internal Drive available.
4) Then do another graceful shutdown of your DVR.
5) Before you plug in the power cord into the DVR, turn on the External Drive and let it fully boot up so the DVR can recognize it.
6) Plug in the power cord and let the DVR RESTART. When it is done you will have all of the contents of your External Drive just as they were before the FIRST RESTART.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.