DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about reconstructing the test server which I use to test out websites prior to going live with them. Right now, the build I'm using is using Debian 3.1 with just PHP4 support. What I want to do is rebuild it using PHP5, and be able to support Ruby on Rails (just in case), alone with MySQL, etc. Apparently, the distribution of Ruby on Rails for Debians isn't a mature version, so....

Anyways, here appear to be my choices, based upon the ISPConfig suggestions:I know that it feels like I really can't make a bad choice. The way I configure things, as far as my Windows systems are concerned, I am hooking up to a real web server. Also, I install PHPMyAdmin afterwards.

The thing is, my test server is running on a old HP Pavilion 6630 which is a Celeron 500MHZ processor and 256MB of RAM. The current config is based upon Debian Sarge instructions. While the specs aren't good for actual production, I find it surprisingly good for testing out a website before uploadint it to GoDaddy (ug!). I just set up my hosts files to point to my test server, and ignore trying DNS on the Network.

· Legend
149 Posts
I would go with Ubuntu Server. It has a nice small foot print. CentOS would be my second choice, but it is a real pig.

Since Ubuntu is built on Debian, there should be some familiarities to you.

Cheers,
Ed

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server on a 600 MHz Celeron with 256 MB of RAM (16 MB of which is stolen for video). It runs fine. I haven't run a web server on this one, but previously did on a 1.2 GHz Celeron with the same amount of RAM using Ubuntu 6.06 Server.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.