DBSTalk Forum banner

Rebuilding my house

1226 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  asjamias
Hey to All.. all my walls are opened, so running my cables is no problem. my set-up we be,,, livingroom and 3 bedrooms. i was looking for a simple install. i'm thinking of running two cables from each location to outside. all my tv's will be HD. going to start with one HDdvr and 3 hd recievers then i can add other HDdvr later. So now i will have 8 cables outside.. what kind of switch will D* install on my house? or do i have to buy the switch myself? thanks for any advice...
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Don't forget the CAT5 Cables too for DOD. Since you have the walls open anyway...
I'd use 4 runs of CAT5/6 to each location. Ya never know what you're gonna need until it's too late. Better to have it and not need it, than the alternative.
samson521 said:
Hey to All.. all my walls are opened, so running my cables is no problem. my set-up we be,,, livingroom and 3 bedrooms. i was looking for a simple install. i'm thinking of running two cables from each location to outside. all my tv's will be HD. going to start with one HDdvr and 3 hd recievers then i can add other HDdvr later. So now i will have 8 cables outside.. what kind of switch will D* install on my house? or do i have to buy the switch myself? thanks for any advice...
They should install a Zinwell 6x8 multi-switch. You dont have to buy it yourself but if you do directv might give you credit for buying it yourself and having it there for the installer.
When I re-did my wiring, I went with 4 RG/6 and 2 CAT-5. Leviton makes a very nice configurable 6 port wall plate which worked out real nice.

Instead of wiring everything outside, how about wiring everything to a central location inside the house. This way you can be near electric outlets and out of the elements.

No guarantee as to what kind of Multi-Switch you will get. If you want to be sure something special, I would personally obtain it and have it on hand when they get there. You can upgrade at a later time if they do not bring what you want.

Dave29 here at DBSTalk is a good resource for SWM equipment. Many of us have purchased from him and have zero reservations about recommending him.
fluffybear said:
Instead of wiring everything outside, how about wiring everything to a central location inside the house. This way you can be near electric outlets and out of the elements.
Good advice. I have a Honeywell structured wiring panel in my home that I added during the construction phase. VERY easy to do yourself, actually. ALL media and security cabling goes to this 'hub'. Six bilocated runs of cat5 to each room and four bilocated runs of RG-6. I just installed my SWM-8 and the PI into this panel last night. Worked like a charm.. Was in and out in ten minutes. Another 10 at the receiver end and I was off and running again.
I’d agree with Fluffybear – run everything to a central inside location. If you have a basement, that would be a great place. If not, then a closet or even the attic is a good spot. Also, consider that you will need lines (at least 4) running from there to the outside where the dish will be located. 4xRG6 and 2xCAT-5 is a great suggestion, too. Cable is cheap. Buy one spool for each “run” (i.e, 4 of RG6 and 2 of CAT-5) and then you only have to pull once.
I still suggest more than 2 runs of CAT to each wallplate location. I used one for networking and another for phoneline. I only ran three myself and so I have one extra leftover for audio and/or video. I wish I had ran more cable just in case I'll need it someday.
thanks for suggestions.. i do have a closet i can use., i was putting my burglar alarm. i was using that closet too for my network. do they have a big enough panel i can put all my cables and network equitment in it? i was going put two network outlets in each room, one next to the cable behind the tvs and one next to the bed and phone outlet too.. do i need a phone outlet next to the cable too behind the tvs. i;m using the belden cable and cat6 wires.
samson521 said:
thanks for suggestions.. i do have a closet i can use., i was putting my burglar alarm. i was using that closet too for my network. do they have a big enough panel i can put all my cables and network equitment in it? i was going put two network outlets in each room, one next to the cable behind the tvs and one next to the bed and phone outlet too.. do i need a phone outlet next to the cable too behind the tvs. i;m using the belden cable and cat6 wires.
the rule of thumb is 1" of enclosure space for each cable coming in. i have used leviton in the past, and now use suttle. the largest each of them make is a 42". If that's too small, just get another enclosure and use one for video and one for voice/data. You can run a conduit between them just in case. if you're doing audio distro, use a separate enclosure for those cables and components.

as far as the phone line, you can use one of the 2 cat5e's you running as a phone. i use suttle's 1x8 patch boards (leviton makes a 1x6) which gives you a lot of options as to what each UTP cable can be used for.
samson521 said:
thanks for suggestions.. i do have a closet i can use., i was putting my burglar alarm. i was using that closet too for my network. do they have a big enough panel i can put all my cables and network equitment in it? i was going put two network outlets in each room, one next to the cable behind the tvs and one next to the bed and phone outlet too.. do i need a phone outlet next to the cable too behind the tvs. i;m using the belden cable and cat6 wires.
3 Cat (1 data,1 phone, 1 spare) and 2-coax runs to each outlet location in each room.

When I wire a customers home, I sometimes will have up to 3 outlets in a single room. Why? Furniture always gets rearranged especially in LR or den where the xmas tree goes up. Kids bedrooms always get rearranged.

Plus when you go to sell the house it's already wired up for the buyer and this is a good selling point.

Structured boxes- 1 for voice and data / 1 for DTV / cable (it's kind of funny to type the word "cable")
One word: conduit.

If you plan to stay at the house for many years and can afford to put a little more money in to this, install conduit. That way, if you ever need to run more cable sometime in the future (fiber optic anyone?), its a lot easier to pull though conduit than though walls.

That being said, I'm going to be doing the same in my house but I don't think I will be pulling the walls down (on purpose at least!). Currently I plan to run at least 2 cat6 (1 for data, 1 for voice) and 1 coax to each room. I might do more of each or add speaker wire or the like for certain rooms. I don't plan on staying in this house long-term so I'm not going to go all out. But I want to eliminate my current "baseboard net".
mjtville said:
3 Cat (1 data,1 phone, 1 spare) and 2-coax runs to each outlet location in each room.

When I wire a customers home, I sometimes will have up to 3 outlets in a single room. Why? Furniture always gets rearranged especially in LR or den where the xmas tree goes up. Kids bedrooms always get rearranged.

Plus when you go to sell the house it's already wired up for the buyer and this is a good selling point.

Structured boxes- 1 for voice and data / 1 for DTV / cable (it's kind of funny to type the word "cable")
I would not go with any less then 3 coax runs. That extra run may just save you a lot of time and extra aggravation in the future.
And something else that hasn't been stressed yet:

That central wire closet should be near the electric bond. The telco will ground there and landline phones will terminate there (NID). The electrical service will be there.

Locating the dish so the sat lines & ground run to that same area is not too hard to plan. The best arrangements I have seen are: a wire chase from attic to crawl space / basement OR a 6" pvc pipe built into the wall of a closet that allows running wire to each floor.

Designing a hard point to attach the dish couldn't hurt. Rig a 2" pipe through the roof and have the roofer use a standard pipe flange. Go to dishpointer.com to get your LOS if there is a question on where the dish will go.

Joe
Here's another item to support my argument for the 'extra' UTP cabling:

https://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3276

Ya never know what they're gonna think of next.
like this...??

thats 2 rg6 and 2 cat5e to each room, including family room and kitchen. 5 rg6 and 4 cat5e from the demarc.
Nice. :biggthump


I need to take a picture of mine and post it.
Asjamias.. thats great. thats what i want. can you tell me where u got ur equitment and how big is the panel box.. pm me ..... u got a modem and switcher in there too...
samson521 said:
Asjamias.. thats great. thats what i want. can you tell me where u got ur equitment and how big is the panel box.. pm me ..... u got a modem and switcher in there too...
that's a leviton series 280 structured media enclosure. you can get them wherever leviton is sold.

i've been recommending products by suttle; the quality is just as good and the price is lower.

suttlesoho.com is the link for their residential products. if you register an acct, i think you can purchase directly from them online.

there's a product called something like "competitive bracket" that can be installed using straps told hold your modem and switch inside the panel.

or you can always mount a piece of plywood in a mechanical closet and just install patchboards directly to it. that would cost you much less than a media panel.
not to get of subject, but don't forget your speakers and their locations.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top