DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located near Lexington, KY and for the last few days, we've been having some receive difficulty. My locals are always there, and about half of the channels are there, but the rest are not, at least not all the time. HGTV, Food, Hallmark, Disc., etc to name a few, have been in and out for a few days. (searching for satellite signal, then finally pops back on) I have two systems, and it is consistent on both, so I don't think it's a problem with my hardware. Today, about 30 minutes ago, everything went down, black screen, searching for satellite signal on all channels, both systems, and no channel guide, which has been there before. Happened to anyone else, or anyone have an idea of what's going on? :confused:

· Banned
614 Posts
puzzley said:
I'm located near Lexington, KY and for the last few days, we've been having some receive difficulty. My locals are always there, and about half of the channels are there, but the rest are not, at least not all the time. HGTV, Food, Hallmark, Disc., etc to name a few, have been in and out for a few days. (searching for satellite signal, then finally pops back on) I have two systems, and it is consistent on both, so I don't think it's a problem with my hardware. Today, about 30 minutes ago, everything went down, black screen, searching for satellite signal on all channels, both systems, and no channel guide, which has been there before. Happened to anyone else, or anyone have an idea of what's going on? :confused:
It sounds like your dish is out of alignment, and needs fine tuning. If you have the service plan, then have them come out and realign your dish. You shouldn't be having outages with a properly aligned dish. Check your signal levels in the setup menus.

· Registered
12,596 Posts
Sounds like a dish problem ....
What type of dish do you have? Check your signal readings on the various satellites and transponders.

Some other things to check ....
* Check your dish connection cables. Be sure they're snug, dry and corrosion-free.
* Check your dish alignment.
* Could something be blocking your dish's view of the satellite(s)?

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.... my system is self-installed, so if it's an alignment problem, I can fix it, although I don't think that's the problem. Signal is dead zero, nothing's moved. I suspect that if this isn't a directv problem, and if no one else has this, then I've probably got a bad LNB, since I don't think both cable connections would go bad at exactly the same time. Do you agree?

Dish is a small oval for local channels, LNB with three connections...

· Banned
614 Posts
puzzley said:
Thanks, guys.... my system is self-installed, so if it's an alignment problem, I can fix it, although I don't think that's the problem. Signal is dead zero, nothing's moved. I suspect that if this isn't a directv problem, and if no one else has this, then I've probably got a bad LNB, since I don't think both cable connections would go bad at exactly the same time. Do you agree?

Dish is a small oval for local channels, LNB with three connections...
If the LNBF is dead then you would get no signal from any channel. Every customer is entitled to a free standard install, so since you haven't taken advantage of that yet, you should have a installer come out for free and do it for you.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
Small oval sounds like a Phase 3 locals on 119 coming in, in original post when the others were flaky. Both 101 and 119 LNB failing at the same time only with electrical storm caused damage. But the multiswitch built into the Phase 3 is a common item to both receivers and all three satellites, good chance of problems. Of course you have to replaces the LNB assembly to replace the switch so it could be either. Let us know how our guess turn out.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cybrsurfer said:
If the LNBF is dead then you would get no signal from any channel. Every customer is entitled to a free standard install, so since you haven't taken advantage of that yet, you should have a installer come out for free and do it for you.
My point exactly, there is no signal from any source. It won't even bring up the guide, says none can be acquired. That's what made me think LNB. I was watching when it went down, and there was no pixellation, no breakup, picture just froze, then everything was gone....

Guess it's time for a trip to the roof. No thanks on a "professional" install. I'll take care of it myself....

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Small oval sounds like a Phase 3 locals on 119 coming in"

Yup, that's the one... Locals were coming in fine before, but others were flakey. I'll try moving the dish first, but I'm thinking you may have hit it with the multiswitch...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.