DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Godfather
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted this in the general discussion forum, but then realized it probably would be better in this one, so sorry for the double post:

I just read a post on a sports related bulletin board that said with the newest software upgrade on D*'s HDDVR you can now select a "secondary local area" and receive their locals as well. So theoretically I could receive my Atlanta locals but also receive locals from Kansas City, or Columbus, OH or Des Moines, IA, etc. I've never heard anything about this, and can't believe that it's true. Has anyone heard anything at all about this?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Not that I am aware of.

Can you post a link to that forum/thread

In general your HD Locals are tied to your SD Locals.
So what ever SD Locals you get are the HD Locals you can get.

If you are in an area that has officially defined Signficantly Viewed areas, it is possible that you can qualify for the 2nd set of HD's.... but I don't think there are any areas yet that are both HD (primary and signficantly viewed).

When OTA is enabled, then yes you will be able to designate a secondary local area, but that is more so that the guide data will update with additional channels not defined in your primary zip code.

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
With the spot beams for the locals, this is not possible, let alone be legal.

It sounds like the OTA setup that allows you to choose the secondary local area, and
all that is is Guide Data.

· Godfather
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Not that I am aware of.

Can you post a link to that forum/thread

In general your HD Locals are tied to your SD Locals.
So what ever SD Locals you get are the HD Locals you can get.

If you are in an area that has officially defined Signficantly Viewed areas, it is possible that you can qualify for the 2nd set of HD's.... but I don't think there are any areas yet that are both HD (primary and signficantly viewed).

When OTA is enabled, then yes you will be able to designate a secondary local area, but that is more so that the guide data will update with additional channels not defined in your primary zip code.
The site requires registration so I'm not sure if a link would work (it's phog.net, by the way). Here is the actual post, though:

Just an early heads up for folks on DirecTV.

Recently, I got a software update from DirecTV for my HDDVR. This update, in part, allows me to configure a secondary home area (in addition to my DFW home channels). Something I could not do, previously.

Naturally, I selected Wichita as my secondary local area. I am now able to watch, in addition to my DFW local channels, local channels in the Wichita area (at least some of them, and I haven't prepared a list).

So, assuming that all of the KU games are aired on Wichita TV (including exhibition games), and also assuming they won't be blacked out (possibly a huge assumption), the need to seek out a big dish for the exhibition games may be diminished - and it may provide yet another option in the event that my local network providers don't carry a KU game not provided by Full Court.

So, if you're a DirecTV subscriber, poke around on your receivers and see if you can also configure a secondary local area. It might pay off.

Does any of this make sense?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I would have to ask if they Have the HR10-250 (the DTivo).
If so, then it would make "sense" (even though the feature has been there since the begining). For OTA reception.

I have been through almost all the menu options in the HR20, and I don't know of a screen that will allow you to do this...

As as the other poster said... with the HD Spot beams, and no OTA yet......

I would have to think this is on teh HR10-250

· Godfather
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weird thing is that in his post he says that he can now receive locals for Wichita. That would tell me that he's actually viewed them, and not just the guide. I'm trying to get more information from the OP (who, by the way, is a moderator with thousands of posts and not someone likely to throw something out there that wasn't true).

· Banned
614 Posts
dan8379 said:
The site requires registration so I'm not sure if a link would work (it's phog.net, by the way). Here is the actual post, though:

Just an early heads up for folks on DirecTV.

Recently, I got a software update from DirecTV for my HDDVR. This update, in part, allows me to configure a secondary home area (in addition to my DFW home channels). Something I could not do, previously.

Naturally, I selected Wichita as my secondary local area. I am now able to watch, in addition to my DFW local channels, local channels in the Wichita area (at least some of them, and I haven't prepared a list).

So, assuming that all of the KU games are aired on Wichita TV (including exhibition games), and also assuming they won't be blacked out (possibly a huge assumption), the need to seek out a big dish for the exhibition games may be diminished - and it may provide yet another option in the event that my local network providers don't carry a KU game not provided by Full Court.

So, if you're a DirecTV subscriber, poke around on your receivers and see if you can also configure a secondary local area. It might pay off.

Does any of this make sense?
Is he talking about the HR10 or HR20, he is vague. Sounds like he may have gotten an update last night, hmmm. If so it must have enabled the OTA feature, which I am assuming let's you select a primary and secondary market for reception. This is Over The Air only however, not thru Satellite.

· Icon
553 Posts
Why wouldn't this be legal? There are several areas in Maryland that have Baltimore and DC signals overlap. They get them both on cable too. It seems that in those areas, DirecTV should provide BOTH Baltimore and DC stations, but for some reason I don't think they do. I think they do it by zip code.

· Banned
614 Posts
jasonblair said:
Why wouldn't this be legal? There are several areas in Maryland that have Baltimore and DC signals overlap. They get them both on cable too. It seems that in those areas, DirecTV should provide BOTH Baltimore and DC stations, but for some reason I don't think they do. I think they do it by zip code.
As you said certain markets overlap and DirecTV does base it on zip and other factors. So to generalize it as illegal is not accurate. It's certainly legal to use OTA feature for 2 markets.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
jasonblair said:
For OTA it's all legal. You can receive whatever your antenna can get. What allowing a secondary market on the DirecTV receiver just means is that you can get guide data from a nearby market you can get OTA.

Cable, it is also legal to offer locals from multiple markets.

For Satellite (both Dish and DirecTV) it is *illegal* to offer locals outside your primary market based on zip code. Thank your local congressman/senator for this law and why Sat is treated differently then cable.

· Godfather
260 Posts
My father-in-law lives in Monahans, Texas (west of Odessa) and he gets the Midland/Odessa atations and an ABC station out of Denver on his cable (Cebridge) in addition the the Midland ABC station. Being a Broncos and Avs fan I would love to have that.

You can thank the NAB for lining enough politicians pockets to get that restriction on sat systems, just like bonscott stated.

· Icon
530 Posts
bonscott87 said:
For OTA it's all legal. You can receive whatever your antenna can get. What allowing a secondary market on the DirecTV receiver just means is that you can get guide data from a nearby market you can get OTA.

Cable, it is also legal to offer locals from multiple markets.

For Satellite (both Dish and DirecTV) it is *illegal* to offer locals outside your primary market based on zip code. Thank your local congressman/senator for this law and why Sat is treated differently then cable.
There is a limited number of zip codes which are authorized to receive locals from two markets via satellite when they are in overlapping markets ala Washingon/Baltimore.

I cannot remember where but i was able to check my zip code as local cable gets Baltimore nad Philly locals) but I am not able to get them both via satellite.
I will edit with site when I remember where it was..

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Yes, all locals, HD or SD are on spotbeams. Only exception are New York and L.A., used for those that don't have any locals where they live.
Most, but not all, locals are spot beamed.

What the OP might have done is set himself up with a Wichita address for satellite feeds, and is getting DFW OTA. That is the only way I could think of that he would be able to get two cities locals on the same receiver. Don't know if Wichita is on a spot beam or not, and if it is, don't know what the footprint is.

Carl

· Hall Of Fame
1,094 Posts
but if this guy that made the post is talking about the hr10-250 and ota.....how in the world would he have an antenna strong enough to get the dallas-fort worth locals and the witchita locals also??? that is impossible ota

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.