DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main TV (plasma) went down yesterday and I've had to put it in the shop. My question is this: Can I move a SD TV to my living room and connect to my HR21-700? I realize I would have no HDMI connection on the SDTV, but wouldn't it work with A/V or some other cable?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
scrybigtv said:
My main TV (plasma) went down yesterday and I've had to put it in the shop. My question is this: Can I move a SD TV to my living room and connect to my HR21-700? I realize I would have no HDMI connection on the SDTV, but wouldn't it work with A/V or some other cable?
s-video connection and L and R audio or the Composite Video (Yellow) will work :)

·
Godfather
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
curt8403 said:
s-video connection and L and R audio or the Composite Video (Yellow) will work :)
Thanks for the reply, curt. The only other cables I currently have (besides my HDMI cable) is the RCA type connectors (red, white, yellow) that I use on my two standard receivers. Are you telling me these won't work?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Red white and yellow is right and left audio and the composite (yellow) he mentioned. That should work just fine. You might end up changing the settings on the receiver to it displays content the way you prefer.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
scrybigtv said:
Thanks for the reply, curt. The only other cables I currently have (besides my HDMI cable) is the RCA type connectors (red, white, yellow) that I use on my two standard receivers. Are you telling me these won't work?
He was telling you they would work...You can use s-video or yellow/red/white cables, which is composite video with audio cables

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
scrybigtv said:
those indeed are the ones

·
Godfather
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CCarncross said:
He was telling you they would work...You can use s-video or yellow/red/white cables, which is composite video with audio cables
Thanks again. My technology vocabulary is improving, but at a pace that would give a snail a bad name.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Hey, everyone starts somewhere, don't sweat it :)

·
Icon
762 Posts
I have done this, the other thing is to make sure you go into setup and tell the box you can only recieve 480i resolution. The box may try to show you 720 or 1080 and then you wont have anything on the picture at all.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
jimb726 said:
I have done this, the other thing is to make sure you go into setup and tell the box you can only recieve 480i resolution. The box may try to show you 720 or 1080 and then you wont have anything on the picture at all.
Not necessary -- the box outputs 480i over S-video/composite, regardless of the settings.

If you were using a component input on your SDTV (some models do have them), then you would indeed need to set things up as you mention.

·
Icon
762 Posts
bwaldron said:
Not necessary -- the box outputs 480i over S-video/composite, regardless of the settings.

If you were using a component input on your SDTV (some models do have them), then you would indeed need to set things up as you mention.
Ah, thats what my problem was. I used component cables on a non-hd TV. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry for the bad advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.