DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· AllStar
232 Posts
What's the difference between the red button reset and the menu reset. Do they do the same thing or is one better. I've also been having a problem with my HR-24 running slow sometimes but a RBR clears it up for a while. I've also been having a data error on the H-25 saying it's not getting information from the HR-24. Once again a RBR takes care of it but I'm having to do a reset two or three times a week. Didn't have any problems the first month or so but it's getting irritating lately. Tried new batteries and it seemed to work but had to go back to the reset the next day.??? Still have 80 percent on hard drive.

· Cool Member
14 Posts
linuspbmo said:
What's the difference between the red button reset and the menu reset. Do they do the same thing or is one better. I've also been having a problem with my HR-24 running slow sometimes but a RBR clears it up for a while. I've also been having a data error on the H-25 saying it's not getting information from the HR-24. Once again a RBR takes care of it but I'm having to do a reset two or three times a week. Didn't have any problems the first month or so but it's getting irritating lately. Tried new batteries and it seemed to work but had to go back to the reset the next day.??? Still have 80 percent on hard drive.
There is no difference between the menu and RBR - you just have to get up from the couch for one and the other you can do with your remote if you're able to get to your menus. If your receiver were locked up, RBR would clearly be the better option.

The playlist dropping is a known issue unless your router is cauing issues with IP assignment. There is no fix for it until it is resolved on the back end as they are still investigating.

If you have 80% free, you may want to try clearing your NVRAM by tuning to channel 1, RBR, then when it comes back on to channel 1, wait for it to load entirely and enter the following colored buttons on your remote: Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green
You should then get an OSD very faint that says "NVRAM Cleared."
Or try double reset (within 10 minutes of each other on the same receiver)

Hope this helps.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
linuspbmo said:
The main difference in the Menu reset and the red button reset is that the Menu reset is software controlled and parks the read / write heads on the hard drive before it interrupts the power.

The Menu Reset is the same as a shut down / restart of a PC.

The red button reset is the same as turning off a PC while it is running a program and then turning the power back on.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
The drives don't need a command to park, though I don't actually think they would in a reboot anyway. But you could yank the power cord, and the heads would still park themselves. Not saying there isn't a possibility of data loss, but not from the heads crashing into the platter. No parking commands are needed in a voice coil drive, either manually entered or programmatically.

Having said that, I still do a menu reset if the unit is fully up and responding to commands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.