DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping somebody can help. I've recently moved to a new apartment in Manhattan and I don't have a southern line of sight to have a dish installed. Any recommendations?

To make matters worse, I still have almost 18 months left on the contract so DTV is going to charge me a $250 early disconnect fee :(

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
You will probably get relief from your contract if you do not have line of sight. Go through the motions of letting DirecTV send a installer out and, let him tell you that it can't be done.

Unless you have highrise buildings to the southwest, he might be able to find a way.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bigger problem is that the roof technically does have a sight line, but my building is installing solar panels and will not allow any dishes to be installed (mounted or non-penetrating). I was told my only option would be a tripod inside my tiny apartment which I would even be willing to consider, but my window faces east.

The movers installer came out and put "buyers remorse" on my work order so account services won't remove the charge.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnnie5000 said:
What he said.
Don't get me started...I paid a real estate broker 15% of my annual rent to find the apartment and the ONLY stipulation I gave him was that I needed to have DTV installed.

He blatantly lied to me and even gave me a contact # for a local installer.

Before I get too far off-topic though, my main concern is to figure out a way to get DirecTV. I actually submitted an entire presentation to my building's owner explaining the benefits of installing an MFH3 or MFH2 solution (accompanied by a 3 page letter telling him his management company sucks).

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
joe diamond said:
Any chance of a neighbor across the hall wanting DTV? If you look east your neighbor may look south. Know that the dish will work through a clear glass window. You could run lines to serve the neighbor's sets and yours...until the neighbor moves or you do.

Think FIOS.........DTV through a fiber optic pipe. It may be coming to your town.

Good luck,

Joe
typo fixed

· Legend
134 Posts
jadams716 said:
Don't get me started...I paid a real estate broker 15% of my annual rent to find the apartment and the ONLY stipulation I gave him was that I needed to have DTV installed.

He blatantly lied to me and even gave me a contact # for a local installer.

Before I get too far off-topic though, my main concern is to figure out a way to get DirecTV. I actually submitted an entire presentation to my building's owner explaining the benefits of installing an MFH3 or MFH2 solution (accompanied by a 3 page letter telling him his management company sucks).
I feel for you. Time Warner in Manhattan is terrible and have a ridiculously paltry HD lineup even compared to other cable operators. I wanted DirecTV so bad when I was there but it is almost impossible to get. Some buildings DO have a MDU type set up but I doubt even those have upgraded to get all the new HD. Unless you have a balcony (which most apartments in NYC do not have) that faces the southwest sky you are screwed.

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
jadams716 said:
I'm hoping somebody can help. I've recently moved to a new apartment in Manhattan and I don't have a southern line of sight to have a dish installed. Any recommendations?

To make matters worse, I still have almost 18 months left on the contract so DTV is going to charge me a $250 early disconnect fee :(
J,

This might come too late.but I had a customer move with a similar commitment. They included the DTV in the settlement for their house so the new owner had their DTV service for the remainder of the commitment.
I think DTV went along with this......the equipment stayed in place because the existing customer was moving to a place with a good view of a river but No Line of Sight.

Just another thought on the money end if you can't get a system rigged.

Joe

· Godfather
413 Posts
Get a second or even third opinion
My last two moves, the first person sent out by D* each time told me they couldn't do an install
I simply asked them to send someone else out each time and the second person they sent out was able to do it
And each time I've had no problems getting most channels
Some installers are just more willing to step outside the box than others

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.