DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Godfather
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a UPS that is only big enough to iron-out the short-term power transients... my HR21/AM21 reboots with every flicker. I don't need a UPS with much run-time at all, and the physically-smaller, the better, since I don't have much space in the glass-front credenza. Any recommendations will be appreciated. The HR21 and the AM21 will be the only loads.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Something like a 350 - 500VA unit should be plenty.

Take a look at www.refurbups.com

They have great service and prices, plus the units are refurbs, but the batteries are new (really all that matters as UPS units are very simple).

Remember the bigger the unit, the more runtime you will get even with a small load.

·
Icon
883 Posts
We have an APC Backup ES 550 that we've hooked to 2 HR20-700's. We get a power blip at least 3 times a month & wanted to keep them from rebooting. The UPS works great for those times. It will keep the units powered for about 15 or 20 minutes when the lights go out for real. Works great.

·
Icon
731 Posts

·
Godfather
418 Posts
I got an APC 1200VA for free, it did not work (the batteries were dead). Replaced the batteries for around 50 to 60 FRNs and I get 45 minutes of TV +. It sure beats cable. :lol:

·
blah blah blah
2,551 Posts
I have one APC 1500 running my entertainment center, one running my computer desk, and one running my fish tank. I have 500's everywhere else. My house gets noisy during power outtages, and I am getting tired of routine battery replacements, but it does wonders for my peace of mind, and lets me keep watching TV through short outtages.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
I have a couple of TrippLite 1000 VA units ($100 from Costco) and they work great for short outages. I wish there was a way to disable the beeps when they go active, especially in the middle of the night (there is a button to turn it off, but I would prefer a permanent fix).

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
techrep said:
This unit is very small but, you will not get much run time out of it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/APC-.../ccd/productDetail.do?cc_fm=Similar+Items+Mod
FHSPSU67 said:
That's the unit I have in my kitchen and it won't carry the load of the HR20. Basically, it senses that it won't have enough run-time to be useful, so it beeps when I plug- in the receiver. It did work just fine with an H20, though.

·
CE'er & Retired Engineer
2,592 Posts
rudeney said:
That's the unit I have in my kitchen and it won't carry the load of the HR20. Basically, it senses that it won't have enough run-time to be useful, so it beeps when I plug- in the receiver. It did work just fine with an H20, though.
The BE350R is rated at 200W/350VA - more than enough for a, I think, 42W HR20.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
While stopping reboots every time the lights dip is a critical UPS function, the ability to provide clean power voltage is also an important factor to consider. Consumer electronics do not have the quality power supplies that provide this capability the way enterprise grade network servers and computer systems do because of costs. Investing in a higher grade UPS with this power conditioning ability is worth it to extend the life of your D* equipment and your expensive flat screen HDTV.

·
CE'er & Retired Engineer
2,592 Posts
I've been using "consumer grade" products from APC for over 20 years, not only for Directv but for all my PC's during this period. I've never had a problem, other than replacement batteries from APC are expensive and don't seem to last as long as the ones I've obtained from American Battery Co. for lesser price. I swear by APC UPS products, both for commercial and for home use.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
FHSPSU67 said:
The BE350R is rated at 200W/350VA - more than enough for a, I think, 42W HR20.
The ones in the links I quotes were the BE325 and that's what I have in the kitchen. The unit is a little over a year old and the battery is probably a bit weak, so it will intermittently "beep" when the HR20 is plugged into the battery side. I have some 350's and they seem to be fine as they have much larger batteries.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.