DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to change the record defaults. I tried to follow the instructions in the Tips and Tricks Document but I guess I didn't understand. At least it did not work. I would like to change the default to First Run.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
James Thomas said:
Is there a way to change the record defaults. I tried to follow the instructions in the Tips and Tricks Document but I guess I didn't understand. At least it did not work. I would like to change the default to First Run.
Start something recording.

Push LIST.

Make sure your recording is highlighted.

Push MENU.

Rec. Defaults should list now.

(not in front of my DVR right now but I think that's it)
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
28,939 Posts
James Thomas said:
Is there a way to change the record defaults. I tried to follow the instructions in the Tips and Tricks Document but I guess I didn't understand. At least it did not work. I would like to change the default to First Run.
Try posting in the Tips & Tricks thread. I'm sure Craig can help you out. In addition, he would probably like to hear how to make it less confusing for future readers.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Start something recording.

Push LIST.

Make sure your recording is highlighted.

Push MENU.

Rec. Defaults should list now.

(not in front of my DVR right now but I think that's it)
Incidentally, this is one of the lamest UI flaws in the HR20. "Recording Settings" should be an option in the setup right alongside "Sat & Ant" and the other options. I applaud the two-click Series Link setup, but changing the default settings is an incredible pain in the butt.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
797 Posts
You don't need an active recording.

Just pick any show and selct it, then choose the Record tab, now press menu from anywhere in there and you'll get to change your recording defaults.

I do think this should be part of the "Setup" menu, but it's not something you need too often anyway.

Xaa
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
Basicly you can access the Record Defaults menu from within the record options screen of any program. So if you already have the record options screen displayed just do these steps.
1. Press Menu
2. Select Record Defaults

If not you could use the two procedures below to access Record Defaults.

Set Record Defaults using the Guide as a starting point.

1. Bring up the Guide
2. Select a future Program
3. Select either Record once or Record Series.
4. Press Menu
5. Select Record Defaults

Set Record Defaults from within the Scheduler.

1. Bring up To Do List
2. Select a Program
3. Select Record once or Record Series
4. Press Menu
5. Select Record Defaults
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,501 Posts
Thanks, that worked.

So what feature can I get to if I stick my tongue out and lift my left index finger up in the air, pointing to the SW of course?

I agree that this menu selection needs to be in the setup!
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
Thank you for the heads up.

This marks the third time that the location of Record Defaults has moved. My instructions were from 0xFA.

Not only is this one of the hardest to find features, they keep changing the keystrokes!

Here are the steps I will put in version 2.9b:

Press LIST , YELLOW button, & Select any show. Click Rec. Once, Press MENU , & then click Record Defaults.

Thank you for the heads up. So many tweaks happened in 0x10B that I have posted the new Tips & Tricks V2.9b and the TiVo Survival Guide v1.2.

The links below should work.

- Craig
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Craig, thanks for all you do. Your help makes this forum a lot better. Have a great holiday.
 

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
Joined
·
608 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Thank you for the heads up.

This marks the third time that the location of Record Defaults has moved. My instructions were from 0xFA.

Not only is this one of the hardest to find features, they keep changing the keystrokes!

Here are the steps I will put in version 2.9b:

Press LIST , YELLOW button, & Select any show. Click Rec. Once, Press MENU , & then click Record Defaults.

Thank you for the heads up. So many tweaks happened in 0x10B that I have posted the new Tips & Tricks V2.9b and the TiVo Survival Guide v1.2.

The links below should work.

- Craig
Thank you. That did it. Much appreciated. :)
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
Thank you for the heads up.

This marks the third time that the location of Record Defaults has moved. My instructions were from 0xFA.

Not only is this one of the hardest to find features, they keep changing the keystrokes!

Here are the steps I will put in version 2.9b:

Press LIST , YELLOW button, & Select any show. Click Rec. Once, Press MENU , & then click Record Defaults.

Thank you for the heads up. So many tweaks happened in 0x10B that I have posted the new Tips & Tricks V2.9b and the TiVo Survival Guide v1.2.

The links below should work.

- Craig
Craig - if you are trying to change all future recordings of a keyword autorecord search, will this work (the above steps,) or will this change only the episode you are looking at?

Thanks
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
DVDKingdom said:
Basicly you can access the Record Defaults menu from within the record options screen of any program. So if you already have the record options screen displayed just do these steps.
1. Press Menu
2. Select Record Defaults

If not you could use the two procedures below to access Record Defaults.

Set Record Defaults using the Guide as a starting point.

1. Bring up the Guide
2. Select a future Program
3. Select either Record once or Record Series.
4. Press Menu
5. Select Record Defaults

Set Record Defaults from within the Scheduler.

1. Bring up To Do List
2. Select a Program
3. Select Record once or Record Series
4. Press Menu
5. Select Record Defaults
I followed both these instructions but when I get to pushing Menu all it does is bring up my menu again. What am I doing wrong? I have version Ox10b
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,758 Posts
redtaco said:
I followed both these instructions but when I get to pushing Menu all it does is bring up my menu again. What am I doing wrong? I have version Ox10b
You're not doing anything wrong, Record Defaults is on that new menu that pops up, you change the defaults on the menu. Record Defaults isn't shown like the other setting screens (On Screen Display).
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
DVDKingdom said:
You're not doing anything wrong, Record Defaults is on that new menu that pops up, you change the defaults on the menu. Record Defaults isn't shown like the other setting screens (On Screen Display).
Thank you, now I found it! Its very confusing that stuff appears and disappears from that menu depending on where you are when you access it. Especially with all the updates coming things seem to move all over the place. I sure wish they could make that menu standard so everything would always show up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,456 Posts
iacas said:
"Recording Settings" should be an option in the setup right alongside "Sat & Ant" and the other options.
I'd agree with you that this makes sense, but wouldn't go so far as not having it there cause the UI to be "lame". Put it in the suggestion box for future suggestions.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
146 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
I'd agree with you that this makes sense, but wouldn't go so far as not having it there cause the UI to be "lame". Put it in the suggestion box for future suggestions.
Actually I agree with him:
iacas said:
Incidentally, this is one of the lamest UI flaws in the HR20.
He did not call the UI lame, he called the fact that the UI that does not have record defaults as a menu item lame, and I agree. It should be a top level menu item, and the key presses to get to it are a lame design.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top