DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
54,194 Posts
Sorry ... not possible.

The 622 can only record from satellite or OTA digital TV stations.

· Hall Of Fame
1,437 Posts
We should add this to the wish list. I would like to do this also. Wasn't it possible with the 921?

· Super Moderator
54,194 Posts
To make a DVR record from other inputs you're looking at adding an MPEG encoder --- That's just not something that is needed on the DVR for any other reason since all norma signals come pre encoded.

IIRC even the receivers that could tune analog NTSC couldn't record it. ATSC and satellite signals are already in MPEG2 or MPEG4 and are easy to handle. I seem to remember one exception (721?) but recording analog isn't a likely feature to be added to new receivers.

Getting an ATSC modulator would be one way. There is also the possibility that at some point E* will allow MPEG2 camcorder videos to be played or stored on the DVR via the USB connection. (But, of course, no transfer of DVR content to the camera.) Perhaps that will be another future "back door" for getting analog recordings onto a DVR --- but all these options are a ways off.

· Hall Of Fame
2,497 Posts
James Long said:
I seem to remember one exception (721?).
The 721 does have one set of composite inputs. They are located on the front of the unit and you select that input from the EPG (channel 0 in the guide) or directly from the remote (press 0). You can not record from the input but it comes in handy for hooking up other devices (like DVD players, video games, etc.).

· Super Moderator
54,194 Posts
IIRC the 811 had a pass through type connection like that as well. (Obviously the 811 isn't a recorder.)

Thanks for clarifying the feature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.