DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my DVR set up to record several shows that air back to back on the same network. The DVR always cuts off the end of the show. I have tried changing the start and end times for these shows, but can't seem to fix it. I have tried having show #1 end a couple minutes late. My theory is that the first part of the next show will be on the last few minutes of the recording of show 1 but that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

· AllStar
54 Posts
if it's a dual tuner you can always turn off record plus and have it record the first on the tv1 tuner and the second on the tv2 tuner. This should prevent the system from trying to swap to the next recording on the same tuner automatically.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
On ABC I've given up and when there are two shows regularly back-to-back I set one to record and have it end 60 minutes beyond the scheduled time. Of course, I have to make sure each week that the one selected to record is actually on because if it isn't and the other is, I miss the one that was on.

It get's even more complicated. Thursday's ABC schedule starts with Ugly Betty which we record on its own because it never runs over. But Grey's Anatomy always runs over, so it get's to be the 120 minute recording as I also want Life on Mars. Nothing is ever simple.

And if you watch the first show recorded, but don't want to watch the second until later, you have to remember not to delete it.

· AllStar
54 Posts
Record plus just tells the receiver to send all recordings to a specific tuner and handles overlapping programs.

to turn off record plus (dual tuner receivers only)

Press the Menu Button

Select Preferences

select Record plus

change the Enable option to Disable

select Done

Now your system will record from the TV a timer was set up from.

Set the first program to record from you TV1 location. extend the end time so you aren't loosing that bit at the end anymore.

Set the second program to record from the TV2 location.

now you turn record plus back on and check to ensure that the programs will record to their assigned tuners. If so then the programs will no longer overlap on the same tuner and cut one off when the other starts.

· AllStar
54 Posts
After extensive testing I can say without a doubt, no they are not effected. The receiver will treat all timers already on file in the manner in which they were created. Any timers created while record plus was off will likewise remain unchanged when you turn it back on.

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I chose disable and it set all my timers to TV1. I thought they were not supposed to be affected? When Record plus is turned off, how do I choose which tuner the show is recorded on. When I have it enabled, it defaults to TV2 unless there is a conflict, and when I have it disabled it defaults to TV1. I don't see anywhere I can make the choice.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
With Record Plus disabled, TV1 and TV2 each have their own independent timers. A timer created with the TV2 remote will record on whatever tuner the TV2 output happens to be using at the time. i.e TV2 doesn't always mean tuner 2, but it isn't too important. When you disable Record Plus, all timers should go back to the Output that matches the remote used to create the timer. I guess you created your timers with the TV1 remote.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
CABill said:
With Record Plus disabled, TV1 and TV2 each have their own independent timers. A timer created with the TV2 remote will record on whatever tuner the TV2 output happens to be using at the time. i.e TV2 doesn't always mean tuner 2, but it isn't too important. When you disable Record Plus, all timers should go back to the Output that matches the remote used to create the timer. I guess you created your timers with the TV1 remote.
Which means you probably need to delete the TV1 timers and recreate them with the TV2 remote.

· AllStar
54 Posts
sorry, I should have been more specific. When I said set it from TV1 or TV2 location that was literal. You have to physically set those timers from that location. This is the only way I know of to allow the timers to overlap for those few minutes it takes to get the last part of a show that habitually runs over time while preserving that second show when the first doesn't go over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.