DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry about such a stupid question but i am brand new to the whole DVR thing. ( I think i am kind of lucky because i don't have TiVo to compare this to).

Last night I was watching the hockey game when my wife decided she wanted to watch a DVD. i said no problem(this thing has already stopped a lot of fights). I paused the game and the hit record but I left the game on pause. I switched to My AV1 and put the dvd. After she was done i started back on the game. Once my team started losing horribly I decided to just stop and delete. i went to list and everything that was on that channel since I paused the game was recorded.
Not only that but it was listed separetly but grouped like it was a SL. What Happend?

Sorry about the long description.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
That's an interesting one. Sounds like a quirk/bug. The thing is - you don't need to hit pause in that situation. Just hit the record button, and it'll record whatever is in the buffer. If you start watching a show, and the show is, say 15 minutes in, and then you hit record, the DVR will go back to the start of the show (or to the start of the buffer if the start of the show is not in the buffer) and record from that point on. I do that alot when I'm watching TV and I'm starting to get tired, but the show I'm watching is interesting. I'll just hit the record button and go to bed. The DVR is smart enough to go back and record from the beginning; again, as long as the beginning is in the buffer - one thing to keep in mind - the buffer is 90 minutes long, but when you change the channel, the buffer refreshes.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
Oh, one other point - when watching a sporting event, you MAY want to add time to the end, just in case. I do that with any football games I record (they never end on time, and it would seriously tick me off if I missed the last five minutes of the game). I add an hour to the end of the scheduled show. It's easy enough to do.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
One final final point :) There's a feature with this DVR (which I haven't used yet) which may be helpful. So you can pick up the game where it left off, you can put a bookmark on the show. Forget exactly how you do that - hit pause, and then the green button, I think. Then, when you play back, you just press and hold the ffwd button, and it jumps you to the bookmark. Again, I haven't tried it, so I don't know how well it works, or if it really works at all. And I don't know if that works on shows you're actively recording, vs. shows you're just playing back.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
When you came back to it, it was behind "live tv" so it was recording everything up to live time to the HD. It lists the shows seperately because the title in the guide changed to a new show but I don't know why it groups them together like they are a SL.

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
Hitting pause is what caused that. When it is paused for 90 minutes, it automatically records everything in the buffer, and apparently everything that follows until you un-pause.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
carl6 said:
Hitting pause is what caused that. When it is paused for 90 minutes, it automatically records everything in the buffer, and apparently everything that follows until you un-pause.

Carl
That's right... I forgot about that. You can pause up to 3 hours, if I remember right. But if the pause lasts longer than, I think, 90 minutes (which is the length of the buffer) it just puts everything to the HD for you. I seem to remember reading that about the R15.

Ok, so it's not a bug afterall - still, in that situation, I would just hit the record button. No need to hit pause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.