DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recorded a few Fox shows over the the last week but FF does not appear to work correctly on the two shows I recorded. It looks like the entire show has recorded - but when I hit FF 4 times, it chokes for a few seconds, then asks if I want to delete it.

But if I play the episode or just hit FF once - it goes through fine.

Also, it is only on recent shows. We have 3 episodes of Hells Kitchen recorded. The June 5 episode FFs just fine. The June 11 and last nights do not.

I have tried restarting - this doesnt seem to work.

Also it is just Fox shows and appear to just be ones recorded recently.

Anyone else notice this? Searched through the forums and didnt find anything else.

· Icon
712 Posts
dcmidnight said:
........Also it is just Fox shows and appear to just be ones recorded recently.

Anyone else notice this? Searched through the forums and didnt find anything else.
This is not just FOX, I have experienced what you described on Velocity, H2, and the History channels. In some cases, the show would not play regardless of the buttons pressed. I would just get the delete message. I called D* Tech Support about the problem. In my case, they said it was a MRV and IP address issue. They had me do a [Red] button reset which corrected the problem. Best wishes!

· Icon
712 Posts
dcmidnight said:
Didnt work for me unfortunately, I restarted it a few different times.

Again, episodes I have on the DVR from early June play just fine.
I suggest you call D* Tech Support since the RBR did not work.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
If FOX changed anything they did not tell local station Engineering about it, which they generally do. By the time DTV crossconverts to MPEG-4, signals from one source are not all that different from those from any other source. Actually, they are not all that different before conversion.

When there is a skip to end error, that is usually a problem with missing or corrupted PTS metadata (program time stamp, which lets the DVR know where it is in the timeline). That sort of corruption happens in the DVR, not from the station (or they would have much bigger issues to deal with). DVRs can simulate missing PTS during playback by using the internal clock, up to a point, which can allow playback up to a point, and make the DVR less sensitive to corrupted PTS, but when you start to jump around in the timeline (trick play, FFWD) it can make that workaround fail.

You can think of missing PTS as analogous to what happens to your car's GPS when you go through a tunnel--without that constant sat info telling it where it is it gets confused and no longer knows how to report where you are. The difference is that all is well once you exit the tunnel; with PTS corrupted there is no guarantee that it will come back. When it doesn't, the DVR gives up and assumes it is at the end of file.

I somewhat suspect some changes in how DTV is handling things; I notice a lot of programs that have black holes at the start of message and that FFWD "beyond the actual end" of the recording for up to a minute before the "Delete?" dialog comes up, and these sorts of things have been happening much more often since the last up rev, or at least it seems that way. More early "delete" dialogs as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.