DBSTalk Forum banner

Recording light color change?

3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  1953 
#1 ·
I am on the HR20-700. Received the NR on Wed. I noticed tonight (had been out of town, so not sure if it was since wed or started tonight) that the recording light is now amber/orange instead of yellow.

Is this a change that just happened or did I miss the discussion as I said I have been out of town.

#5 ·
SPACEMAKER said:
The recording light on my HR20 has always been orange. If I ever get the new update I'll be interested to see if it changes.
When you get the update you'll realize that the LED now is yellow, not orange. What you do get is Orange. It's a combination of the Red and Yellow LED's being on at the same time.

#6 ·
RunnerFL said:
When you get the update you'll realize that the LED now is yellow, not orange. What you do get is Orange. It's a combination of the Red and Yellow LED's being on at the same time.
I am recording something right now and the record light is most definitely orange. Maybe it will turn more red or something if I ever get the latest update.

#7 ·
I agree. I thought I was going crazy with people talking about their lights changing color, but my light before and after the update is exactly the same color. I didn't notice any difference at all. Orangeish.

SPACEMAKER said:
I am recording something right now and the record light is most definitely orange. Maybe it will turn more red or something if I ever get the latest update.

#9 ·
dhelmet78 said:
I agree. I thought I was going crazy with people talking about their lights changing color, but my light before and after the update is exactly the same color. I didn't notice any difference at all. Orangeish.
If the color of your record light didn't change with this update then you must have downloaded a CE that had the change.

#11 ·
ATARI said:
I have an HR20-100 and I swear it has always (for 13 months now) been an orange light when recording.
There have been reports a long time back of it being orange on occasion .. The change is something like below:

OLD =

NEW =

Both are sort of orange, but now it is really orange.

Attachments

#18 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
It's worth pointing out that Doug's colors are just for general comparison. We can't control what color you see on your monitor.
:) .. indeed.

Also, the colors I picked are in the vicinity of what DIRECTV has chosen. I certainly didn't measure the quantities and I don't recall ever being given the RGB values :grin:

#21 ·
I know that, I was just stating in general that is really isn't orange and it really isn't yellow. I did get the last update and I never noticed a difference in the color between the last 1.5 years and this week.

It's an hr20-700 Maybe one of my LEDs is broken and it just isn't mixing the colors to make the orange?

Stuart Sweet said:
It's worth pointing out that Doug's colors are just for general comparison. We can't control what color you see on your monitor.

#22 ·
Yeah I really don't care either... as long as it actually records. I just thought it was odd that it doesn't appear to have changed colors with the last update.

I have gotten used to the current color, so if all of a sudden it was actually RED, I would think there was an error indicator light or something.

billsharpe said:
The color of the recording light is one of those things that I could care less about, er, couldn't care less about, or something like that :rolleyes:

#23 ·
I will say that the "new" orange LED color on the HR20-700 during recording is very close to being the same color of orange on the ® that is displayed on the guide and now playing list (while a program is still recording), where before it was not. Not really a functional improvement but a nice aesthetic touch making the record LED and the record icon the same color...more or less.

#24 ·
dthoman said:
I am on the HR20-700. Received the NR on Wed. I noticed tonight (had been out of town, so not sure if it was since wed or started tonight) that the recording light is now amber/orange instead of yellow.

Is this a change that just happened or did I miss the discussion as I said I have been out of town.
I noticed the exact same thing several weeks ago and posted a thread about it. This was maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Why on Earth would D* waste their engineering time to change the color of the recording LED when they could be working on much more important features, such as DLB. It sounds like a dumb waste of time to change the color..is it me or what? Who cares if its the same color on the HR20 and HR21?

#25 ·
n3ntj said:
Why on Earth would D* waste their engineering time to change the color of the recording LED when they could be working on much more important features, such as DLB. It sounds like a dumb waste of time to change the color..is it me or what? Who cares if its the same color on the HR20 and HR21?
There's a reasonable argument to be made for consistency among equipment, though this is indeed a minor thing. So minor that I can't believe it took any real developer time away from work being done on the other more important issues.

#26 ·
n3ntj said:
Oh boy... here we go again...

It's not a waste. In fact it might have taken then all of 2 minutes to do, if that. They probably just had the change the value of a variable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.