DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two HR24/100 with WHR network. I was wondering if there is a way to record a program from one DVR to another DVR? It would be nice to have this feature.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
joed32 said:
Lots of people would love to see this feature.
I suppose I could see a use for it one day, but I'd think it's way down the list for most folk.

Is this something you'd like to do frequently, or does it have to do with getting stuff off a DVR you're getting rid of?

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Laxguy said:
I suppose I could see a use for it one day, but I'd think it's way down the list for most folk.

Is this something you'd like to do frequently, or does it have to do with getting stuff off a DVR you're getting rid of?
IIRC, there was a poll run about 6 months ago and around 90% of the members of this forum desired some type of collaborative scheduling or ability to record from one DVR to another.

·
15,541 Posts
spartanstew said:
IIRC, there was a poll run about 6 months ago and around 90% of the members of this forum desired some type of collaborative scheduling or ability to record from one DVR to another.
Gosh, what a surprise you'd refute that! How bout a link?

Is collaborative scheduling quite linked with transfer ability or could they be quite separate?

And was there a ranking of desired new features?

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Laxguy said:
Gosh, what a surprise you'd refute that! How bout a link?

Is collaborative scheduling quite linked with transfer ability or could they be quite separate?

And was there a ranking of desired new features?
Search just took 2 seconds, but here you go. Oh, and it was 95% total that wanted either collaborative scheduling or ability to schedule from one DVR to another. Either way, it's also been talked about extensively over the last year and I thought it was pretty common knowledge that many users were interested in the ability.

LINK

And, while not a poll, here's another thread (of many) that discusses the issue.

LINK

·
15,541 Posts
spartanstew said:
Search just took 2 seconds, but here you go. Oh, and it was 95% total that wanted either collaborative scheduling or ability to schedule from one DVR to another. Either way, it's also been talked about extensively over the last year and I thought it was pretty common knowledge that many users were interested in the ability.
Never said no one, nor few, nor that most wouldn't be interested in such ability. Most are interested in any new feature that could be added without affecting current operations. Practicality and priorities still must be observed.

But, then, the issue was transferring a recording from one DVR to another, not that to which you refer!

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Laxguy said:
But, then, the issue was transferring a recording from one DVR to another, not that to which you refer!
I believe you misread it.

dod1450 said:
a way to record a program from one DVR to another DVR? It would be nice to have this feature.
Record from one DVR to another (like you can on the H series), is not the same as transferring.

If at location A, can you set up a recording on DVR B (record from one to another).

That ability is very high on the list for most folks.

·
15,541 Posts
spartanstew said:
I believe you misread it.

Record from one DVR to another (like you can on the H series), is not the same as transferring.

If at location A, can you set up a recording on DVR B (record from one to another).

That ability is very high on the list for most folks.
Well, my interpretation is quite different!

And only dpeters11's answer indicates he thought of it in the way that now seems likely; your "no" applies to either interpretation, as does joed22's statement that lots of folks would like it.

I do believe you are right in your and dpeters' interpretation. Will we ever know, OP? :)

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
spartanstew said:
A collaborative play list or schedule is inevitable. Recording from one DVR to another just ain't ever gonna happen.

There is a reason that the only input to a DVR is L-band RF, and that the only outputs will not connect to any HD consumer recorder. And it is the same reason why there are no HD-capable DVD recorders available in the USA (but available nearly everywhere else).

And that reason is Hollywood, specifically the movie industry lobby, which is all-powerful and draconian.

There is no simple way to accomplish file transfers or copying, and there is no way to do a linear capture record (real time playback and record on a second unit) in anything other than SD. Those in power don't want us to have that technology available to us, and so have disenfranchised us of it.

I don't see that ever changing. We never own the content; we only own temporary licenses to view it, and not really much else.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
TomCat said:
A collaborative play list or schedule is inevitable. Recording from one DVR to another just ain't ever gonna happen.

There is a reason that the only input to a DVR is L-band RF, and that the only outputs will not connect to any HD consumer recorder. And it is the same reason why there are no HD-capable DVD recorders available in the USA (but available nearly everywhere else).

And that reason is Hollywood, specifically the movie industry lobby, which is all-powerful and draconian.

There is no simple way to accomplish file transfers or copying, and there is no way to do a linear capture record (real time playback and record on a second unit) in anything other than SD. Those in power don't want us to have that technology available to us, and so have disenfranchised us of it.

I don't see that ever changing. We never own the content; we only own temporary licenses to view it, and not really much else.
You, too, are misinterpreting the phrase "record from one DVR to another". In this context (I believe), it means "scheduling a recording from one DVR to another", not "transfer an already recorded show from one DVR to another"

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
TomCat said:
And it is the same reason why there are no HD-capable DVD recorders available in the USA (but available nearly everywhere else).........and there is no way to do a linear capture record (real time playback and record on a second unit) in anything other than SD.
Sure there is:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

How long it stays on the market is another question.

spartanstew said:
, not "transfer an already recorded show from one DVR to another"
I want that too. :D

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
spartanstew said:
You, too, are misinterpreting the phrase "record from one DVR to another". In this context (I believe), it means "scheduling a recording from one DVR to another", not "transfer an already recorded show from one DVR to another"
Only in your mind, I'm afraid. If I actually am misinterpreting the phrase that can only be because the verb "record" is meant to incorrectly represent something else in the phrase other than what it means to everyone else, every dictionary, and to every common usage of the word, regardless of context.

If you need to admonish me because that is what you got out of it you are either much more skilled at reading between the lines than I am writing between them or you suffer from some sort of disorder that allows you to see something different on your computer screen than the rest of us can see. I'm guessing not the former, context or no context.

But about the most IQ-challenged thing a poster can do is to admonish someone for something they then in that same reply prove to everyone how even less-equipped they themselves are regarding the same imagined sin. Pot, meet kettle; allow me to get out of your way.

In my post you do not have to read between the lines; it is very clear that I am referring to "record from one DVR to another" in the sense of pressing play on the source device and pressing record on the destination device, and only by secondary association does the post later (two paragraphs away) refer to "transfer an already recorded show from one DVR to another", and only briefly. The only skill needed to understand that is simply paying attention.

The same can not be said regarding your interpretation: "scheduling a recording..." which is not clear at all; are you referring to the classic linear capture record technique I mentioned above or the ability to schedule a recording to occur on DVR B from the user interface on DVR A? We could guess, but how would we know what you actually mean?

In the media world "record" refers only to a real-time capture linear record. It is differentiated from "file-based" or "transfer", and certainly differentiated from the term "scheduling". But a file-based transfer is a common option to reaching that same goal, so is a valid technique to bring up in this conversation, whether that displeases you or not. Thread context broadens naturally to include new and similar items also in context. We are not bound by rules of staying on topic, but that is very much still on topic for this thread.

Words have meaning, and the meanings of most words, those listed above included, are not all that malleable due to context. The context universe of this forum is pretty narrowly limited, and context does not survive in consecutive forum posts anywhere as robustly as it would in a chat or actual conversation. This is also not "Alice in Wonderland" where words can mean anything we wish them to.

And my post was not specifically in reference to that phrase in the first place; it was somewhat broader and in reference more to the political climate ruled by the overlords that have caused us to not be allowed to have this technology.

Why someone would quote an entire post, and then grossly misinterpret 3 or 4 words not really that germane to the spirit or primary intent of the post or even the thread from among the other 100 words available is mind-boggling.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
I'm not going to read that whole diatribe, but I think you also have a misunderstanding of the word "admonish".

As to your original post (assuming it's not backpedaling), while it may be true that we'll never be able to schedule a recording from one DVR to another, the reasons have nothing to do with what you state (which may be valid reasons for not allowing recording transfers though).

On an in-home Network where you can watch recorded shows in other rooms, schedule recordings from a receiver to any DVR, and transfer shows to Nomad, there's no reason to think we might not some day be able to schedule a recording on one DVR to another.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,428 Posts
Laxguy said:
But it vaults to the top when you discover that one of your DVRs is failing or that you need to return it for any reason.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
Herdfan said:
And talk about missing the point. I had hoped that using this term:
"There is no simple way..."
...would have been enough to disqualify posted replies regarding the lunatic fringe methods out there. But another thought also crossed my mind... "I wonder how many breaths I will have to take before somebody posts the hdpvr?"

It does not in any way qualify as simple. It does not even do HD in any acceptable quality unless you want it in 30-minute bites, and even then not without significant generational loss. Not practical; not acceptable except possibly to the tiniest subset of folks who wish they had a way to archive HD, and it does it on a dying medium that has proven not to keep for very long. Few positives; plenty of negatives.

I seriously considered it back in the day but since it is a niche product that has been passed over by 99.9999% of HD homes, and never caught fire like we had hoped, its really a non-recorder.

If you bought one I'm sure you are not happy with that view. It is human nature to seek validation regarding potentially risky purchases, and to want to convince yourself it has validity beyond what it really might have; that you really did not make a stupid buy. Sorry about that. Stockholm syndrome at work. I can't in good faith support fantasy.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,763 Posts
Laxguy said:
Well, my interpretation is quite different!

And only dpeters11's answer indicates he thought of it in the way that now seems likely; your "no" applies to either interpretation, as does joed22's statement that lots of folks would like it.

I do believe you are right in your and dpeters' interpretation. Will we ever know, OP? :)
What I was talking about when you asked me how I would use it was the ability to use a DVR in one room to set up a recording on another DVR in a different room. Nothing about transferring recordings. I had 5 DVRs and when I wanted to set up some recordings and spread them around among the DVRs I had to move from location to location. I bought a non DVR receiver just to be able to set up recordings from a central location. It is limited because the guide only goes 6 days out instead of 13 days. If they ever activate this feature I could get rid of the extra receiver and it would be much more convenient to be able to set up recordings from anywhere in the house.

·
15,541 Posts
I understand the desire to have that ability. I happily use my H25 to set where the recording goes, though in my household it's far from critical.

Your statement, which I referenced, said only that lots of folks would like "this feature", this feature being unspecified or unclear at the time. I interpreted it more literally than others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.