DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Mentor
38 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yes, when OTA is enabled you'll be able to record your local HDTV channels, provided you can receive them with an OTA antenna.

Official word is still around December 1.
When recording OTA channels, will that take up more space then the MPEG4 channels? I assume that it would because it less compressed, but maybe the unit compresses before recording, or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

· Godfather
415 Posts
As it was explained to me, OTA channels are MPEG2 encoded, so they will take up more space than the MPEG4 locals via sat. But they may have improved picture quality, because...well, you can do a search to find multiple discussions regarding OTA vs sat picture quality. :D

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
911medic said:
As it was explained to me, OTA channels are MPEG2 encoded, so they will take up more space than the MPEG4 locals via sat. But they may have improved picture quality, because...well, you can do a search to find multiple discussions regarding OTA vs sat picture quality. :D
If the OP is going to do a search on the quality, maybe they could have done a search on their question, too.

· Legend
192 Posts
911medic said:
"may" is the key here. In the Wash DC area, the MPEG4 locals off the dish are hard to tell apart from the same OTA channels. They are that good.

I've read horror stories however about PQ of the MPEG4's in other areas of the country. Some of it may be on Directv and some on the local stations themselves. My guess is that all this will be worked out as time goes by.

· Godfather
485 Posts
cawgijoe said:
I've read horror stories however about PQ of the MPEG4's in other areas of the country. Some of it may be on Directv and some on the local stations themselves. My guess is that all this will be worked out as time goes by.
You know it. NBC 5 in Chicago is a total disaster! Watching the Nextel races is a miserable experience. The picture pixilates all the time with any action shots; being NASCAR, this is constant. The fact I have a 71" DLP only makes the picture worse. HOWEVER, it is still better than the standard picture. I will be investing in a decent HDTV antenna when the OTA tuners are enabled.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
jgrade said:
You know it. NBC 5 in Chicago is a total disaster! Watching the Nextel races is a miserable experience. The picture pixilates all the time with any action shots; being NASCAR, this is constant. The fact I have a 71" DLP only makes the picture worse. HOWEVER, it is still better than the standard picture. I will be investing in a decent HDTV antenna when the OTA tuners are enabled.
You won't regret it. OTA rules! (Although, should the providers and D* get their act together, including getting the bit-rate up via satellite, the difference could be very close to washed out). I wouldn't hold my breath until more birds go up, in terms of getting the bit-rate up.

Even on last night's ESPN Monday Night Football, with no bandwidth competition from NFL Sunday ticket, you could easily see the bandwidth starvation issues that are NOT present on OTA games. That is why I refer to HD via D* as "HD-Lite". It is tons better than SD, but not up to the quality of OTA. (yet... based on some comments from a small minority of contributors to the forum, I'm hopeful that MPEG-4 with appropriate bit-rates will eventually or even occasionally look really good)

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
MasMic said:
When recording OTA channels, will that take up more space then the MPEG4 channels? I assume that it would because it less compressed, but maybe the unit compresses before recording, or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I believe the HR20 is rated for 30 hours of OTA, 50 hours of MPEG4, and 250 hours of SD recording.

Carl

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Azalo said:
we're on the list for next round of hd locals (norfolk, va). anyone know how long it takes from announcement to implementation??
Hard to say. Seattle was "implemented" months ago, but we only have 2 locals in HD out of 4. So it could be anywhere from a week or two to six months or longer.

Carl

· Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
carl6 said:
I believe the HR20 is rated for 30 hours of OTA, 50 hours of MPEG4, and 250 hours of SD recording.

Carl
It's really rated for 30 hrs mpeg-2 HD, be it any combo of OTA/SAT. However, if in fact D* cuts the resolution and bitrate on their mpeg-2 HD channels, we may get more hours per gig (from D*).

· Icon
545 Posts
hasan said:
You won't regret it. OTA rules! (Although, should the providers and D* get their act together, including getting the bit-rate up via satellite, the difference could be very close to washed out). I wouldn't hold my breath until more birds go up, in terms of getting the bit-rate up.

Even on last night's ESPN Monday Night Football, with no bandwidth competition from NFL Sunday ticket, you could easily see the bandwidth starvation issues that are NOT present on OTA games. That is why I refer to HD via D* as "HD-Lite". It is tons better than SD, but not up to the quality of OTA. (yet... based on some comments from a small minority of contributors to the forum, I'm hopeful that MPEG-4 with appropriate bit-rates will eventually or even occasionally look really good)
D* claims that they do nothing ESPN'S HD signal! If this is true or not, I don't know, but I have noticed "higher" quality than last nights game on other events on ESPNHD!

· Registered
5,952 Posts
iceman2a said:
D* claims that they do nothing ESPN'S HD signal! If this is true or not, I don't know, but I have noticed "higher" quality than last nights game on other events on ESPNHD!
Me too. When ESPN-HD first started up it was stunning. It no longer is. It all comes down to bandwidth. D* across the board is bit-starved, that's just the way it is until they get more birds up. Sometimes it's better/worse than others. I'm not complaining. I've been treated VERY well by D* and I really like my HR20. I've had very few, and only minor bugs in my 4 weeks with it.

There are things that aren't right. There are bugs. I'm content with the pace with which they have been working on them, even though my priorities may differ here or there. Some people are having a LOT more trouble and a much more severe issues, I'm just not one of them.

I do have the NFL ST bug of deleting recordings and it is a pain in the rear. I am not aware of anyone who does NFL ST that doesn't have the problem, so hopefully they will get it fixed. That said, it doesn't make my box unusable or cause me great grief at this point, but it sure needs to be fixed.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
jgrade said:
I would disagree... I think that has more to do with the actuall broadcast quality... and not the MPEG-4 encoding.

Unless NBC5 was having issues over the weekend (As the ND game was not the greatest via OTA or MPEG-4), in general.... at least on my TV... are nearly identical to the OTA (via the different comparisons, HR10 and H20)

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
iceman2a said:
My picture quality was excellent on all close-ups and most replays. Where I see a bit of degradation is in the wide field shots during live action.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.