DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a general question that may or may not belong in this section - what is the easiest way to save recordings off of a DVR so they can be played back on an ipad? We currently have 2 HR20s and 1 HR21.

I am thinking of either by a DVD recorder and then converting the DVD to a format that can be viewed on the ipad or getting a video capture card and recording straight to the computer and then coverting the file.

Which is easier? I am mainly looking to transfer several 30 minute shows. Is there a good video capture device available for a laptop?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
shuye said:
I have a general question that may or may not belong in this section - what is the easiest way to save recordings off of a DVR so they can be played back on an ipad? We currently have 2 HR20s and 1 HR21.

I am thinking of either by a DVD recorder and then converting the DVD to a format that can be viewed on the ipad or getting a video capture card and recording straight to the computer and then coverting the file.

Which is easier? I am mainly looking to transfer several 30 minute shows. Is there a good video capture device available for a laptop?

Thanks,

Steve
Get the Hauppauge HDDVR. It works great, records in H.264 and has a conversion program that will convert it to a format that will work on your iPad.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
I use a stand alone Toshiba DVD recorder to archive programs. Any show you want to convert can easily be done in your computer with any of the available free video converter programs you can find at download.com. Be certain you chose iPad and NOT iPhone when you convert the video:)

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information.

I need to read up on the Nomad to see if that will work. Otherwise I will go with one of these methods.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
DogLover said:
If you are not looking for permanent storage, but just to view on the iPad, DIRECTV's nomad device couldn't be easier.
Well, it could be a lot less cumbersome and time-consuming, and a lot less expensive.

On the other hand it is a single process; you dont have to rip anything or jump though lots of hoops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.