DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a way for the HR20 to record an entire sports program. I remember having it record a few things and as most major sporting events go, they ended after the alloted time in the guide.

How do we get the HR20 to record the entire show? Is the only way to add a large pad at the end manually to ensure that the entire event is recorded?

TIA!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The only way is to add a large pad.

As the networks don't update the guide data LIVE TIME to reflect extended games... and even if they did, the chances of that data getting down to the units fast enough....

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

As the networks don't update the guide data LIVE TIME to reflect extended games... and even if they did, the chances of that data getting down to the units fast enough....
I think it would be a really cool feature if they could have the HR20 check some D* internet server or something similar to determine when the game has ended. Ofcourse they'd need to have the ethernet port fully active first.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I think it would be a really cool feature if they could have the HR20 check some D* internet server or something similar to determine when the game has ended. Ofcourse they'd need to have the ethernet port fully active first.
And then you would also have to have some entity out there updating that data.

Sure you could have the "public" doing it, but then again that would be hard to regulate. I am not sure if the networks would want to put a staff person on that as well.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And then you would also have to have some entity out there updating that data.

Sure you could have the "public" doing it, but then again that would be hard to regulate. I am not sure if the networks would want to put a staff person on that as well.
Surely more difficult things than this have been accomplished. I wouldn't be too surprised if there are RSS feeds with info like this is already out on the web somewhere.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

At least my padded recording worked! I extended the Bears' game by 30 min...and missed it by 1:47 on the game clock. Fortunately, it didn't matter as they missed (yes!!!) the FG.

With a little practice, I think it will be easy enough to pad. I'm willing to bet, short of OT, one extra half hour will do it. I don't mind experimenting on this. I truly appreciated the recording last night...I gave up on things at 20-3 (I was checking periodically, and regretted recording it). Then, I check SportCenter to see just how bad it was and ...whoa! Now I'll watch it.

·
Banned
686 Posts
PoitNarf said:
that would be very useful for remote diagnostics as well.
too bad they're stuck on making "RECORD" work.

·
Godfather
300 Posts
hasan said:
At least my padded recording worked! I extended the Bears' game by 30 min...and missed it by 1:47 on the game clock. Fortunately, it didn't matter as they missed (yes!!!) the FG.

With a little practice, I think it will be easy enough to pad. I'm willing to bet, short of OT, one extra half hour will do it. I don't mind experimenting on this. I truly appreciated the recording last night...I gave up on things at 20-3 (I was checking periodically, and regretted recording it). Then, I check SportCenter to see just how bad it was and ...whoa! Now I'll watch it.
You know what would be really slick, if lets say we padded something, then when we come back to watch it later and we realize we didnt need that much of a pad and we could remove X from the file time. I'm saying if we could say delete last 15 minutes from the recording. Do you know how slick that could be, Tivo cant do that! The reason for this, i like to save certain events/movies forever and this would prevent wasted space. I know this feature is highly unlikely but just an idea.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
Well, somehow UltimateTV is able to extend the recording of events that continue past their end time. It's not always perfect, but it's been quite good. I don't know how they do it. I've also noticed that the UltimateTV guide gets up to date faster than the HR20 guide

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
flipper2006 said:
You know what would be really slick, if lets say we padded something, then when we come back to watch it later and we realize we didnt need that much of a pad and we could remove X from the file time. I'm saying if we could say delete last 15 minutes from the recording. Do you know how slick that could be, Tivo cant do that! The reason for this, i like to save certain events/movies forever and this would prevent wasted space. I know this feature is highly unlikely but just an idea.
I too think that would be a great idea. I have often wished I could "trim" extra time from recordings and save just the part that I wanted. I don't know if that would even be possible to implement and I'd want to wait until they had the bugs ironed out that the unit has now, but for a future feature I agree that would be wonderful.

I have trouble padding recordings on the HR 20 when I try, even though the button in the lower right corner, that you click on to set up a series link or auto record is highlighted, when I click nothing happens. If I set the program to end "on time" then I can set up the recording with no problem. It simply won't let me set up a series link or auto record with extra time added at the end. To get around this I have learned to go to the prioritizer, highlight the program in question and then add extra end time at that screen and there's no problem. Not a huge deal but a bit of a hassle. I just have to remember to go through the prioritizer once I've set up a recording in order to add more recording time. It's done that on both HR 20's that I've had, the first one was defective and sent back, since it does this on both I am hoping it is a software glitch that will at some point be addressed. The program guide is cut in half at the last channel entry as well. I have changed the resolution, format whatever to no avail. I have my HDTV set for 1080i and the HR 20 set for 1080i stretch but I've tried pillar box and crop and it makes no difference.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
ExUltimateTV said:
Well, somehow UltimateTV is able to extend the recording of events that continue past their end time. It's not always perfect, but it's been quite good. I don't know how they do it. I've also noticed that the UltimateTV guide gets up to date faster than the HR20 guide
Ultimate TV does a nice feature called soft padding..
It will automatically record extra time, if there is nothing set to record after it... It is only for like 5-10 minutes though... possible longer if it sees in the guide it is classified as sports.

·
Legend
206 Posts
Not being TiVo trained I started recording the program that follows the sports event. I do have to go to the listing and play that program after the first scheduled one ends but it picks right back up in the event until I choose to end it. When the event ends the regular scheduled next program is easily deleted. Now that I've read the HR20 manual I know I can pad the recording but it seems easier for me to keep recording the next program(s).

·
Legend
126 Posts
kenmoo said:
Not being TiVo trained I started recording the program that follows the sports event. I do have to go to the listing and play that program after the first scheduled one ends but it picks right back up in the event until I choose to end it. When the event ends the regular scheduled next program is easily deleted. Now that I've read the HR20 manual I know I can pad the recording but it seems easier for me to keep recording the next program(s).
For now, I would continue recording the next scheduled program if the length of that program does not conflict with other recordings. Padded recordings have not worked well for me with sporting events. For the past three weeks, I have recorded the Thursday night ESPNHD college game. In each case, I added an extra 30 minutes of padding. All three weeks, my padded recording, which should have gone 3:30 total (3 hrs for the scheduled game plus 30 minutes padding) stopped between 3:10 - 3:20 for no apparent reason. Not once has the HR20 actually recorded the full 3:30.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Bear in mind that you cannot pad the recording if you have a sports subscription, as those channels go dead when the broadcast ends, and the stupid f#$^*ng machine then deletes the entire recording!!!

·
AllStar
73 Posts
Frodtab said:
For now, I would continue recording the next scheduled program if the length of that program does not conflict with other recordings. Padded recordings have not worked well for me with sporting events. For the past three weeks, I have recorded the Thursday night ESPNHD college game. In each case, I added an extra 30 minutes of padding. All three weeks, my padded recording, which should have gone 3:30 total (3 hrs for the scheduled game plus 30 minutes padding) stopped between 3:10 - 3:20 for no apparent reason. Not once has the HR20 actually recorded the full 3:30.
I had the exact same problem with the Auburn Florida game. I had set the recorder to add an additional 1,5 hours. When I went to watch it, only 3:10 was recorded. Luckily the game ended at 3:05 . This problem needs to be added to the problem list if it has not already been added.

Also I noticed that the 15 minute tick marks were only available for the first 1.5 hours of the recording.

Also I was switching back and forth between this game and the Penn State- Michigan game. I would stop the Auburn game to switch to other game. When I came back to watch more of the Auburn Florida game, the HR20 would start at the beginning of the recording instead of where I stopped watching it. VERY frustrating. Everntually, I just paused watching this game instead of exiting when I switched to the other game. Other game was recorded on my DTivo.

I wonder if this is a problem with watching while it was still recording? I started watching the Auburn game about the time the 15 minute tick marks started disappearing. I have recorded other games for 4.5 to 5 hour blocks but did not start watching these until after the recording was done

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.