DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recording stop and start times appear to have a bug. They seem to start a little late and end a little early. Now, I know this can be a problem with the stations, but in this case, it's not. I recorded 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and The Office, back to back to back. If it was a station problem, what was missing at the end of one program would be (should be) at the beginning of the next program. But it's not. There is at least a minute of overall time missing.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
Our DirecTiVos were time shifted slightly too. But they started a bit early and ended a bit early. Most likely guide problem. The content was there if a back to back program was recorded.

I just got the Rupert Boxes and they record early and late by just a bit to catch the whole program if there are no conflicts. I would report it as a bug and ask for the same "padding" as the Rupert Boxes have. My guess is that the guide is not time synched well.

·
AllStar
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry_K said:
Our DirecTiVos were time shifted slightly too. But they started a bit early and ended a bit early. Most likely guide problem. The content was there if a back to back program was recorded.

I just got the Rupert Boxes and they record early and late by just a bit to catch the whole program if there are no conflicts. I would report it as a bug and ask for the same "padding" as the Rupert Boxes have. My guess is that the guide is not time synched well.
But guide syncing wouldn't account for the fact that back to back recordings are missing a piece. If the guide sync was off to the point that one program ended too early, the next program should start early. Instead the second one starts later.

But I agree, the padding on the HR2* series boxes is was nice touch.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
When you hit the play on the 9PM show, did you try backing up at all? There typically is a buffer already added to the start recording time (I think I read here that it is 45 seconds). I've been trying to catch up on The Big Bang Theory on TBS. When I start a show, it usually starts playing a little bit into the show. So I Reverse. Haven't missed anything yet.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
This happens on my SA Tivo HD XL as well. There isn't a whole minute of missing data in between back-back programs but there is a distinct gap.

I record the same shows you do but add padding which works fine unless I am recording a show on another channel. In that case I will record the first show with 1h30 of extra time so that it is all contiguous.

I've rarely noticed it as an issue except on that NBC night. They definitely skew their shows a bit versus normal clock time. With that extra minute of programming they squeeze in between commercial breaks it butts up against the normal switchover time.

On the HR24 they can autopad in situations like that but I ended up having to turn that off because then when I watched shows out of sequence (like Always Sunny or something like that) then I would see the end of an episode I hadn't watched yet at the beginning from the autopad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.