DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to record some programs on a dvd.
does the satellite box have to be on?
does the tv have to be on.
in other words how do i set up in order to record either a live program or one that i saved on my hd satellite receiver?
thanks
burtshell

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Satellite box has to be turned on.
TV does not

Hook the outputs of your SAT receiver to the inputs of the VCR.
HIT record on the VCR for the proper input.
HIT play on the DVR

· Godfather
422 Posts
What will happen if I try to record a HD channel hooked up to my DVD recorder via S-Video and Red/White Audio? Will the the content be letterboxed or cropped? If I hook up the DVD recorder with component video, what does the output resolution need to be set to so the DVD recorder will be able to recognize it?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Your S-Video, outputs a fixed 480i signal, so you don't have to change your resolution on the HR20

IIRC: It squishes it... not 100% sure though.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Your S-Video, outputs a fixed 480i signal, so you don't have to change your resolution on the HR20

IIRC: It squishes it... not 100% sure though.
Yes, you need to "play" with the stretch/crop to get the S-video output "right". IF this is like the H-20.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
wakajawaka said:
Hmm, so if it squishes it, then when played back on a 16:9 tv set to display 16:9 it would unsquish it, which would be perfect.
I don't think that is the case... but then again... I haven't tried.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I don't think that is the case... but then again... I haven't tried.
Here is how it works for me:

I record from Component out to my DVD recorder in. (external input 1)
I have my HR20 set to "Stretch" in SD mode

If I record an HD source, it fills the entire screen on my DVD recorder. (playback)
If I record an HD source, it fills the entire screen on my DVD recorder. (playback)

So, my DVD recorder is managing the display to full screen...this is for non-letterboxed movies in HD. If the source HD fills the display screen, so do my recordings.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
hasan said:
Here is how it works for me:

I record from Component out to my DVD recorder in. (external input 1)
I have my HR20 set to "Stretch" in SD mode

Hasan, a little off topic, but how do you have your DVD recorder hooked up to your HR-20 using Component? You have a Panasonic E80H listed, but this model does not have Component In jacks. I am only interested because I have been looking for a DVD recorder that has Component In jacks, and can't find one anywhere! :(

· AllStar
54 Posts
wakajawaka said:
When connecting using component do you have to set the output resolution to 480i or does the DVD recorder convert it?
I have mine hooked up via component in to a Philips 615 DVD recorder. I have to change the HR20 resolution to 480i. It will not automatically convert.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
wakajawaka said:
How about the physical power button on the TV? Or use the TV original remote.
Or move the Mode Selector on the remote to TV... and hit the TV power button.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
to those who feel the question that i sent was "dumb",please let me remind you that there is no such thing as a stupid question......................
when i shut the tv, the satellite receiver shuts off with the tv.
if i move the select lever to tv and then press off the tv goes off and the receiver stays on. that is what i will do in the future.
now my question is as follows:
what are the steps to record a program on a dvd?
sorry that i offended some of you with my first question.
lets see some answers for this one.
burtshell

· Registered
5,952 Posts
blacksofttop said:
Hasan, a little off topic, but how do you have your DVD recorder hooked up to your HR-20 using Component? You have a Panasonic E80H listed, but this model does not have Component In jacks. I am only interested because I have been looking for a DVD recorder that has Component In jacks, and can't find one anywhere! :(
Input LN1 on my DVD recorder is Component IN...that is connected to my HR20 Component Out. I thne take the Component OUT of the DVD Recorder and run it to my Onkyo hifi receiver (which has component switching), the Onkyo then has a Component connection to my Sammy HDTV.

I use HDMI for the HR20, and Component for the DVD Recorder.
I also use HDMI for my OPPO upconverted DVD player

Both HDMI's go to the Monoprice HDMI 5x1 switcher.

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
What can you record to DVD and what can you not ?

Are PPV's recordable to DVD as well as normal off the sat channels both SD and HD and OTA SD & HD?

Will any of these kick in the copy protection?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.