DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding that some recorded shows will blank for just less than a second when the picture goes real bright real quickly (as in a explosion for exmple). It actually just did it watching "live". I am getting 90+ on all signals. Anyone else experience this? This only happens on HD content, never on regular channels.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Do you have a way to see if it is the TV or the HR20? Can you watch same show directly on the TV?

Sounds like the TV is being overloaded by the bright picture.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Tom

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I have watched it with S-video, and HDMI and it does the same. Regular directv channels do not do this nor do DVDs I watch. Really seems like a coding problem with the unit. Had this unit about a week, miss the DirecTivo. I will just add this to the list to talk to D* people about.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Wow, very interesting. You've done all the right stuff. Can you share with me (in this very, very private setting :) ) or in a PM some examples of which shows have done this to you. I might try to see if I have any and if I get anything similar.

BTW, forgive my lack of manners. Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s
Tom

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For example, the opening to the CBS pregame today with the exploding graphics. I also watched the James Cameron docu on the Bismark on DiscoveryHD. On the re-created explosions it did it several times. I also have locals OTA and never get this problem. So I have isolated to the HR20, just seems the encoding is messed up.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
One other thing you've eliminated is transcoding of your CBS HD local from MPEG2 to MPEG4, since you are seeing this on other HD feeds as well.

(You've also reminded me to get over to watch the game. Thanks!)

Happy Turkeyday,
Tom

·
Icon
828 Posts
bchamb88 said:
I am finding that some recorded shows will blank for just less than a second when the picture goes real bright real quickly (as in a explosion for exmple). It actually just did it watching "live". I am getting 90+ on all signals. Anyone else experience this? This only happens on HD content, never on regular channels.
Are you running HDMI all the way through?
I have experienced similar problems.
I am running HR20>HDMI>Denon 4306>HDMI> Mits 73727 with upconversion done in the HR20 so the 4306 is just passing the signal through.
When I first got the 2 HR20s I was running HR20>component>4306>HDMI>Mits.
With these connections, I had the same problem no matter which HDMI input on the tv I used. After switching to all HDMI I have the following problem:
On one HDMI input on the Mits, I experience a loss of the HDMI "handshake" but on the other HDMI input it has run rock solid for the entire time I have had it.
I have determined that HDMI is better able to handle the sudden increase in signal but that the one HDMI input is somehow more sensitive to exactly what you have described. Whenever an extremely bright signal comes through, the "handshake" is lost and has to re-establish itself.
One of these days, I'm going to have to contact Mits and ask to have the one HDMI module replaced, but every time I remember to do it, the CS center has closed for the day--they're only open til 3pm EST and I'm in PST so anytime after 12 noon is too late, lol. In the meantime, the one reliable HDMI input is sufficient for my needs.
Good luck,
Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.