DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my imagination that Reelz channel 299 was in HD, or has it always been in SD ? It was in my favorites list one day, then gone today. When I looked for it in the channel list, it was only listed as being available in SD.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Actually you are correct. This is routine apparent per Reelz contract with Dish
phrelin said:
James Long said:
Bye (again) Reelz ... Hello Mid-Atlantic Sports Net and Mid-Atlantic Sports Net 2!
9604 REELZ (299 HD) Reelz removed from 129° TP 23 (HD Hidden)
9604 REELZ (299 HD) Reelz removed from 72.7° TP 11 (HD Hidden)
Of course! I set a timer to record the movie tonight and series premier Friday of "XIII".:mad:
Oh, and :welcome_s

· Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
It sux cuz I wanted to watch XIII in HD! Ah well.

· AllStar
101 Posts
This is frustrating! Shouldn't the plan be to migrate channels from SD to HD and not the other way around? I can understand an SD channel that has always been an SD channel migrating to HD. But to have an HD channel change BACK to SD is frustrating. :mad:

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
I believe Reelz has done this two or three times now. Each time they add the HD version, it is usually limited for a program they are presenting. Once that program's run is over, the HD version disappears as well. First one was the documentary on the Kennedy's, not sure what this one was.

· Legend
223 Posts
StringFellow said:
This is frustrating! Shouldn't the plan be to migrate channels from SD to HD and not the other way around? I can understand an SD channel that has always been an SD channel migrating to HD. But to have an HD channel change BACK to SD is frustrating. :mad:
I agree. It's 2012...HD should be the norm now without adding an extra fee. It now should cost an extra fee to access the legacy SD feeds. :lol:

· Godfather
946 Posts
mike1977 said:
I agree. It's 2012...HD should be the norm now without adding an extra fee. It now should cost an extra fee to access the legacy SD feeds. :lol:
Too bad Disney does not think that way. ESPN News, Disney, Disney XD were once shown in HD. DISH was forced to take those echannels down, because Disney wanted addition carriage fees for these channels, plus ESPNU and ESPN Classic HD variants.

· Godfather
711 Posts
I thought I was seeing things too. I could have sworn the many times I skimmed past it and never watched. Now I want to watch something it's SD, and it's not even good SD. Is this a "red headed stepchild" channel?

· AllStar
101 Posts
"FarmerBob" said:
I thought I was seeing things too. I could have sworn the many times I skimmed past it and never watched. Now I want to watch something it's SD, and it's not even good SD. Is this a "red headed stepchild" channel?
Totally agree! Never watched Reelz until XIII was advertised and it was HD when I setup the timer. Recording was in SD and noticed the channel is now SD.

· Godfather
573 Posts
DISH carried Reelz in HD each of the first two times they ran The Kennedys mini-series.

I'm not sure why it returned the last time, but apparently it wasn't permanent.

Reelz is uplinked in HD, so it's DISH deciding to drop the HD feed whenever they feel like it.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
kucharsk said:
DISH carried Reelz in HD each of the first two times they ran The Kennedys mini-series.

Reelz is uplinked in HD, so it's DISH deciding to drop the HD feed whenever they feel like it.
I may well be, but it could also be REELZ who decided to discontinue the HD feed. If Dish is trying to negotiate a contract, this could explain why the feed is still uplinked. Since we haven't seen any releases from either side on this, it is hard to know for sure.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
eric032706 said:
Thank you for the quick response and the welcome. I've been reading these posts for years, but first time posting. Seems like Dish is always changing something.
I never watch Reelz. It's their fault.

· Godfather
573 Posts
kucharsk said:

The irony being that Reelz has been doing a The Kennedys marathon all day today. :D

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
Yep ... the flip flop channel.

On the down side, Smithsonian HD was removed from testing. :(

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
StringFellow said:
How do timers work with the channels switching back and forth between SD and HD? Since the channel numbers are the same, how should I handle my timers?
It depends on the receiver so I suggest you check your timers often if you expect your programming to record.

· Legend/Supporter
1,356 Posts
The best choice in this instance is to use a DISHPass/Seek & Record time with HD preference that way it should use the HD feed when available and the SD feed when HD isn't available. However you may end up having to skip unwanted shows if the title can match more than the desired show.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.