DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a horrible customer experience with D*.
I was a E* customer for ten years and ever got the run around and there's nothing we can do about it answer.

My sister-in-law signed up and got her installation this past Saturday 12/31/2011.

She signed up using a 3rd party reseller at wal-mart in reno. After getting her install date I told her we could both save same money by using me as a referral.
She called the D* 3rd party installer and was told she didn't qualify because she already had package discounts. When she told me that on Sunday I told her that was not correct. Today we called D* customer service on a conference call and after being given five different departments to call we must have been transferred to the I DON'T CUSTOMER CARE DEPARTMENT. The women on the phone said since the installation already happened we were SOL and there was nothing she could do. She also stated that it was the installer's fault not D* and that's what my sister in law gets for signing up through a third party and not D* itself.

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
I have to agree with wilsonc and DIRECTV on this: in order for you and the other party to get the credits, the initial ordering must be through DIRECTV.

I referred my brother to DIRECTV almost 2 years ago, he signed up online at the DIRECTV web site using my account info as the referrer, he got new customer incentives and we each got $10 off our accounts for the next 10 months.

It's also clearly marked on the DIRECTV.com web site: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral/referralProgram.jsp

What to do

1. Email your friends
Refer your friends to DIRECTV with an email.

2. Tell your friends to order DIRECTV
Tell them to order online at directv.com/refer or call 1-800-507-4045. They must have your DIRECTV account number when they order. Where is my account number?

3. Enjoy your $100 bill credit
Receive $100 in bill credits for each friend who activates DIRECTV service.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
Yup. In order to get the referral discount you need to call the specific 800 number that is listed during the referral commercial.

- Merg

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
Or order online ... ;)

I was with my brother when he ordered his service through the referral link and I could not believe how easy it was to compare options and complete the order. I personally prefer to do things online as you can keep screen captures/PDF prints of what you are doing so as to not be surprised later...

·
Difficulty Concen........
7,396 Posts
photogrant said:
Just had a horrible customer experience with D*.
Dude, I have read your 2 other posts and I get it. No one wants to be forced to use another provider.
We are here to help and make things easier for for you through the process. We all have been through the horrors, and they suck.
Just give us direct questions to individual problems and we can help you through the transition.
Maybe in the end you may enjoy the service. And if not maybe we can at least help you endure it.

·
Icon
925 Posts
Maybe the OP should follow the right policy instead of crying on here. If I want a rebate for some product,I have to follow the process. Tough luck, but the OP only has themselves, and maybe their sister-in-law to blame.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,401 Posts
I'm with the OP. DirecTV should cut you some slack and let you get the referral after the fact, at least within a reasonable amount of time. I can't tell you how many referrals have been botched by friends, family and DirecTV dealers making simple mistakes or being outright misleading. Dealers are the worst about this, especially with first time subs who don't know the ropes. Mistakes and omissions like this should be easy to correct with a quick phone call, but DirecTV's strict rules make this impossible. Dish lets you add referrals after you order, which is the way it should work.

You guys can take a hard line like DirecTV, but I think the way they handle mistakes related to referrals borders on dishonest and only damages their reputation and angers customers.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
mdavej said:
I'm with the OP. DirecTV should cut you some slack and let you get the referral after the fact, at least within a reasonable amount of time. I can't tell you how many referrals have been botched by friends, family and DirecTV dealers making simple mistakes or being outright misleading. Dealers are the worst about this, especially with first time subs who don't know the ropes. Mistakes and omissions like this should be easy to correct with a quick phone call, but DirecTV's strict rules make this impossible. Dish lets you add referrals after you order, which is the way it should work.

You guys can take a hard line like DirecTV, but I think the way they handle mistakes related to referrals borders on dishonest and only damages their reputation and angers customers.
The whole point of this program is to pay existing customers the referal fee they usually shell out to a dealer. Now they have to pay the dealer and you want them to pay out to the OP and referer. Of course dealers are going to lie about this they want their commision. This is why DIRECTV is specific in their advertisement and online.

Dish pays the referer $50 ($5/10 months) DIRECTV pays out $200 ($100 to each $10/10 months) so it's not the same deal here.

·
7 Posts
Had it ordered through the store that sold me a TV and promised 100$ off if I'm to sign up through them. Called D after that and added friend's referral. They kept the same order number and reassured that both of us would get 100$ eventually. Installation is not until middle of January so.

·
Legend
151 Posts
if the order is placed directly with D*, as in dot.com or 1800dtv or another number, then it is possible for the referral to be added before installation by calling the sales support number that is given at setup. It is frowned upon but can be done as a last resort. Anything done with a local dealer/reseller/etc MUST be handled through them. D* will not add something to that because alot of times there are different offers that disqualify a customer from the referral credit when setting up there. If the order hasn't been installed yet, she definately can cancel the order and her initial cost (if any) will be returned and she can set up with the referral number or better yet as Drew2k mentions sign up online at the referral link and get D&H waived and the referral credit.

·
Icon
843 Posts
I believe the third party walmart or sams club info is correct.

They are already throwing an extra $100 off the first year above and beyond the 2 year rebates.

So really the walmart thing is for new unreferred customers.

Also is not true about any other type of dealer, they CAN add a referral number to the account, its just these AAA and walmart which already include the $100 to $200 extra bonus already that cant do it.

Directv really cant payout $500 extra on every account, be happy with the 2 year promo, WHAT A GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow, then you want another $200......get a clue!

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Yeah, I believe it is a Walmart contractor problem.

My local dealer can and does get the referral credit done if you sign up through him. But you don't get that extra that the Walmart guys are offering.

·
Mentor
86 Posts
I signed up 13 months ago and had no idea what I was getting into in terms of how you have to work/understand the system. In this case, the system worked me, but in a good way, unless I'm missing something.

I used the AAA referral thing, calling the specified number. I told them I wanted to do the friend referral (dumb now but I didn't get it then) and they said they couldn't do that, and that I was already in the system at that point for the AAA discount so couldn't back out.

I whined, he took pity, and eventually told me he had done the magic and my friend referral was good.

Ended up, I got both :) $20 off a month instead of $10.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
mdavej said:

And if they start making exceptions for one day late someone will post about it on the Internet and then anther person will call and say you did it for one day late guy, I'm only two days late and so on.

They have to draw the line with no exceptions.
You snooze you lose.
You don't read the fine print you lose.
You don't research you lose.

I work in a small retail store and I've had irate customers because we have a seven day return policy posted on the wall over the register and I have to follow it. Technically I don't have to follow it if I don't mind taking the money out my own pocket (Not going to happen). The worst one was a lady wanted to return something a year later since she didn't need it anymore. Books software, batteries, = no return. We have since due to abuses, added some other things that could be bought for a one time use and returned.

If it were DirecTVs mistake they'd most likely fix it, It wasn't their mistake.

·
1 Posts
"Maybe the OP should follow the right policy instead of crying on here. If I want a rebate for some product,I have to follow the process. Tough luck, but the OP only has themselves, and maybe their sister-in-law to blame."

I hate it when people are like "a policy's a policy, just get over it." Maybe the "policy" is unfair or not correct. Or maybe the "policy" rules get bent for certain people, and not others. Policies are not laws.

I signed up for D* through a local dealer, and called D* before the install, and they had absolutely no problem adding the referral credits. A referral should be a referral, regardless of its source or the method of sign up. It's just another way for the company to get out of giving discounts every time. It's just like overdraft fees for banks. They change their crediting/debiting "policies" so as to ensure more overdrafts. Not because ODs cost them money, but because the fees MAKE them money.

·
Godfather
484 Posts
rogerntami said:
"Maybe the OP should follow the right policy instead of crying on here. If I want a rebate for some product,I have to follow the process. Tough luck, but the OP only has themselves, and maybe their sister-in-law to blame."

I hate it when people are like "a policy's a policy, just get over it." Maybe the "policy" is unfair or not correct. Or maybe the "policy" rules get bent for certain people, and not others. Policies are not laws.

I signed up for D* through a local dealer, and called D* before the install, and they had absolutely no problem adding the referral credits. A referral should be a referral, regardless of its source or the method of sign up. It's just another way for the company to get out of giving discounts every time. It's just like overdraft fees for banks. They change their crediting/debiting "policies" so as to ensure more overdrafts. Not because ODs cost them money, but because the fees MAKE them money.
but, officer, the speed limit over there on that street is 65....i know it was 30 on this street, but all those people over there are doing 65 so i should be able to do it since i'm on a road also.

:(

·
Icon
843 Posts
rogerntami said:

Your comment has nothing to do with this thread, you called BEFORE your system was activated......anyone can add a referral at this time..... even dealers, just not walmart and sams club guys......

·
Mentor
47 Posts
I am a new customer and ordered online with a refer a friend. I then realized I needed 2 HD receivers instead of the 1 I had ordered.

I then had to call and cancel that order and then reorder it with the correct number of receivers. I did this online with a CSR. I asked if he did the refer a friend and he said yes we will do it. He had to ask me twice for my friends account number because the first time he said he screwed up his phone number or something.

Anyway, to my question. I received my bill for the first month and it was $10 too much(my refer to friend). I called CSR and she said it takes 6-8 weeks and should be on the next bill. Is this correct? If not I will have to call the refer a friend department, she gave me the number if I had any questions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.