DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere (perhaps Tricks and Tips) I read that to completely reformat the HR20 hard drive you can press and hold Record on the HR20 front panel and press left arrow. (Please verify that this is the correct precedure.) Note: This reformat will cause the loss of all drive content including recorded shows in Playlist, ToDos, Favorites, Searches, etc. -- use cautiously. (changed 1/7 to change front panel "Select" to "Record" per H&T)

1 - Will this front panel procedure accomplish the same as a Reset Everything via the Setup Menus? Any differences?

2 - My main question: Reformat is often recommended as a solution for extreme problems with the HR20. Clearly it can help, but has anyone had MORE problems after a Reformat than they had before. I've had some recent black screen problems (like this morning) and am considering doing a Reformat, but I've had almost no other problems and doing an RBR or Menu Reset when needed (maybe once a week) is to me only an irritant, not a POS issue. If a Reformat might clear up the black screen, I'd do it, but I'm more concerned about creating problems that I don't have now.

A piece of advice -- from my perspective Reformat is a last resort, pulling my hair out attempt at a solution. I don't want to lose my settings and recordings and have to start all over configuring this machine. At one point I called D* about a black PPV recording and the FIRST thing I was told was to reformat the drive. I refused and got into a big issue with the CSR which required management intervention to resolve (I had to call back the next day). In the end, they walked me through a procedure to record PPV that worked. No reformat was required and that black recording problem has not recurred. Separately, I have had the black screen issue twice which RBR resolved (all channels and all DVR inputs black, remote works, menus work, but no image). Don't let a CSR or anyone else tell you to reformat unless you have major problems that make this attempt worth the subsequent recovery efforts. RBR only sets you back while the Guide content reloads, Reformat will cost a lot of effort.

· DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Yes, it sucks that a "reformat" is even an option suggested by Tech Support, let alone the first thing they tell you to do.

I can tell you from my experience this week: Reformatting solved (at least for the time being) the problem I was having with paused TV not restarting, and live TV not responding to play/pause/instant replay/etc. But it did not clear up the "unplayable recordings" problem, I had an unplayable recording on only the 5th show I tried to record, and have had two more this morning (I reformatted yesterday).

It's a partial, maybe temporary solution. But only a software update will solve the serious issues, and nobody is making any promises on that.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
mrshermanoaks said:
Yes, it sucks that a "reformat" is even an option suggested by Tech Support, let alone the first thing they tell you to do.
Turns out this may be one really huge reason to use an eSATA drive. When Tech Support suggested I reformat, I naturally viewed that as a last resort. However, since I had installed an eSATA drive on the unit in question, I thought it would be worthwhile to unplug the eSATA drive, restart the unit, and perform the reformat on the internal drive. That way I would at least find out if the reformat would fix the problem before I reformatted my "production" eSATA drive.

Well... not only did it fix the problem, but when I plugged in my eSATA drive and restarted the system, the problem stayed fixed. So I was able to fix the problem by performing a reformat without losing my settings and recordings!

That was worth the price of the extra drive all by itself.

It does raise the question in my mind as to whether another "fix" procedure might be to simply unplug the system, unplug the eSATA drive, restart the system and let it reboot, followed by reversing the procedure.

You'll probably want to know which problem it was that was fixed by this procedure. Sadly, I can't remember - it was last week sometime and I've wracked my brain but just can't remember. As Dan Quayle said, "what a waste it is to lose one's mind or not to have a mind." :D

Rick

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
richlife said:
1 - Will this front panel procedure accomplish the same as a Reset Everything via the Setup Menus? Any differences?
No the reset everything will clear more of the unit than "just" the drive.
You will have the current software, but you will have to go through the setup again and enter your zip code, etc.
This [IMO] is the cleanest way to "flush out" your box. Is it the "cure all", nobody knows [yet].

· Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
veryoldschool said:
No the reset everything will clear more of the unit than "just" the drive.
You will have the current software, but you will have to go through the setup again and enter your zip code, etc.
This [IMO] is the cleanest way to "flush out" your box. Is it the "cure all", nobody knows [yet].
I'm not understanding. If I reformat via front panel, I had assumed that would do what you say Reset Everything does and I have to redo Setup. If that's not true, where is the Setup info stored that it would be preserved? Is there writable memory on board that saves this? (Since no reply yet, when I say redo Setup, I include all my personal configuration -- zip, Favorites, resolution, etc. etc.)

In fact, would like to see a table for what Select - Left does versus Setup - Reset Everything. (dream on, I suppose)

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
I have also found that the complete reset with format to make my HR20 much more stable. I did this after the Fa software release and it helped. When I got the 10b software release my HR20 got a lot more unstable. I reformated and reloaded 10b and it was a lot better.

Most of the problem other people have I do not have. I still have the unwatchable bug, and some sound problems now and then, but nothing like what it reported by a lot of people. I think everyone should reformat their HR20 when they get a upgrade. I think the installers should reformat and make sure you have the latest version of the software before he leaves.

Next upgrade I will do a reformat as soon as it is out. Upgrades on old windows computers never worked that great. A reformat and load a full version of the software made for a much more stable computer. So far for me it seems about the same for the HR20.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
richlife said:
I'm not understanding. If I reformat via front panel, I had assumed that would do what you say Reset Everything does and I have to redo Setup. If that's not true, where is the Setup info stored that it would be preserved? Is there writable memory on board that saves this? (Since no reply yet, when I say redo Setup, I include all my personal configuration -- zip, Favorites, resolution, etc. etc.)
In fact, would like to see a table for what Select - Left does versus Setup - Reset Everything. (dream on, I suppose)
Sorry for the late reply. I've been having "fun" with native on/off for too long.
The data is stored [basically] in two places: 1) the hard drive & 2) memory chips on the board(s). If you reformat the drive, the memory ICs don't get cleared. If you "reset everything" the ICs that can be are cleared also. The software won't be cleared, but all of your setup info will [i.e. zip code] & after the reset it will start the setup guide [again] "like it was a new box". This doesn't happen with a reformat.

· Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
veryoldschool said:
Sorry for the late reply. I've been having "fun" with native on/off for too long.
The data is stored [basically] in two places: 1) the hard drive & 2) memory chips on the board(s). If you reformat the drive, the memory ICs don't get cleared. If you "reset everything" the ICs that can be are cleared also. The software won't be cleared, but all of your setup info will [i.e. zip code] & after the reset it will start the setup guide [again] "like it was a new box". This doesn't happen with a reformat.
Thanks much, VeryOld (doncha love how people just come up with short "nicknames"?). That's exactly the info I wanted most.

· Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bret4 said:
Next upgrade I will do a reformat as soon as it is out. Upgrades on old windows computers never worked that great. A reformat and load a full version of the software made for a much more stable computer. So far for me it seems about the same for the HR20.
I think this is probably good advice and will likely follow it in the future (or at least if I start developing problems). As my system is now, I'm really only having a once in while "non"-recording and an infrequent startup "black screen" (trying to remember to tune to a local HD channel before putting in standby to see if that helps bypass this issue). So with this info, I don't see a good reason to reformat or reset everything at this point -- better the minor problems than playing with fire.

· Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reaver said:
What is the difference between this reformat and the one you perform by holding down RECORD and the DOWN ARROW button?
I found the H&T source for my original post -- it should have said hold Record and Left Arrow. I don't know about Record and Down Arrow, but I guess it might do the same thing. Has anyone tested these separately as Reaver asks?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
richlife said:
I found the H&T source for my original post -- it should have said hold Record and Left Arrow. I don't know about Record and Down Arrow, but I guess it might do the same thing. Has anyone tested these separately as Reaver asks?
Record & down is the reformat. record & left is a misnomer [which I may have started by "remembering" instead of reading my notes].
VOS

· Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
veryoldschool said:
Record & down is the reformat. record & left is a misnomer [which I may have started by "remembering" instead of reading my notes].
VOS
Thanks, I passed your post on to Craig (milominderbinder2) in H&T.

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
veryoldschool said:
VOS
That's interesting, I'll have to try the Record and Down arrow next time I want to do a reformat. Never new you could do it that way.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
bret4 said:
That's interesting, I'll have to try the Record and Down arrow next time I want to do a reformat. Never new you could do it that way.
This was "the way" from D* [& I think the manual]. You mean you've used the left arrow & it worked?:confused:

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
veryoldschool said:
This was "the way" from D* [& I think the manual]. You mean you've used the left arrow & it worked?:confused:
No, I did a full reset from the reset menu with Reset Everything. I also did the 02468 reset. I never even heard of using the remote hitting the record and any arrow button before now. That's what I should have said.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
bret4 said:
No, I did a full reset from the reset menu with Reset Everything. I also did the 02468 reset. I never even heard of using the remote hitting the record and any arrow button before now. That's what I should have said.
Oops! This is a front panel record/down arrow at the Welcome to DirecTV screen after a red button reboot. Nothing with the remote. D* tier 2 & I have gone over this & both agreed that the front panel reformat would be for when you can't get into the setup menu to do a "reset everything". The "everything" clears more than "just" the drive as with a reformat.

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Oops! This is a front panel record/down arrow at the Welcome to DirecTV screen after a red button reboot. Nothing with the remote. D* tier 2 & I have gone over this & both agreed that the front panel reformat would be for when you can't get into the setup menu to do a "reset everything". The "everything" clears more than "just" the drive as with a reformat.
That's cool, now I get it. I don't ware my glasses all the time and can't see those buttons on the front pannel without them. Didn't even think about the buttons on the front pannel.:lol:

· Cool Member
17 Posts
I did a front panel reboot, and my problem with stuttering continues, so I'm having DirecTV send me out a new one. I wonder what the odds are of it working okay. The one I have in my bedroom works perfectly, and has for months.

*knocks on wood*

I'm also hoping the one they send me is that new slinky black model. :D

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Reaver said:
I did a front panel reboot, and my problem with stuttering continues, so I'm having DirecTV send me out a new one. I wonder what the odds are of it working okay. The one I have in my bedroom works perfectly, and has for months.

*knocks on wood*

I'm also hoping the one they send me is that new slinky black model. :D
You might try the new software release tonight. It can't hurt.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.