DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Icon
3,520 Posts
thanks for the post, but usually if i ever have any problems i jsut call retention and they hook me up. this year in a sense i'm geting NFLST SUPERFAN for free cause i have 2 $10 credits on my bill every month. i chose the 4 pay option for the NFLST SF, so i only pay like $4 a month for superfan.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
dervari said:
I did this the second blackout weekend. $5 off for 6 months. Better than nothing. :)
Sure is. I just sent an email, too much hassle to call.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
What is the plan for this problem anyway? Yesterday I was in front of the HDTV and a floor away from the pc when talking on the phone with a buddy about the weather for today. I said hey, I can get the weather on D* Interactive. Well, no, I couldn't, because like the HD channels the Interactive stuff is turned off on Sundays. Not a major issue because I just had to walk upstairs to the pc, but still. I expected it to be there and it wasn't. Will the new sats take care of this or do we have to wait for MPEG4 to be rolled out completely across the country first?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I have two issues with this article:

1) Because of it, people who where ACTUALLY!!!! effected by the droping of the channel, may eventual NOT be able to get the credit.

Why! There are going to be a LARGE amount of people, that just want a credit (Aka something for free), that where not effected by the temporary channel drop. And eventaully DirecTV is going to stop giving the credit.

2) This is WEEK 6 that this has been going on... and in the article, it was conviently excluded on WHY it when to HDNet one week, and Universal another... AKA, so that the NASCAR Events could be shown.

Also that was excluded from the article that each of those carriers AGREED to 8 hour blackout.

My Take, I realy wish DirecTV would have just credited $0.02 (rounded) for each day the content was actually "missed"

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Is there a reason why DirecTv has to drop an HD channel to provide the bandwidth for NFLST? Why can't they just reduce a whole bunch of PPV SD channels to get the bandwidth. Afterall, the same PPVs are on multiple channels, just reduce this number for Sunday. Or is this an SD/HD thing?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jdspencer said:
Is there a reason why DirecTv has to drop an HD channel to provide the bandwidth for NFLST? Why can't they just reduce a whole bunch of PPV SD channels to get the bandwidth. Afterall, the same PPVs are on multiple channels, just reduce this number for Sunday. Or is this an SD/HD thing?
They already do drop a bulk of the PPV.
They also drop the MIX channels (Except for the Sunday Ticket one), and the active content.

They also increase the compression on some of the other SD networks.
And halt software upgrade pushes during the Sunday Ticket period.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I Merged the two threads together, that where on this topic.

Earl

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Wow, I had heard they were using a bunch of their bandwidth for HD NFLST. I didn't realize they are maxing it out THAT much!! Selfishly I'm happy because I get to watch my Cowboys in HD every Sunday, but it sucks that so much other stuff has to suffer and get cut back. No wonder they are pushing MPEG4 so hard.

·
AllStar
76 Posts
Mike Huss said:
Wow, I had heard they were using a bunch of their bandwidth for HD NFLST. I didn't realize they are maxing it out THAT much!! Selfishly I'm happy because I get to watch my Cowboys in HD every Sunday, but it sucks that so much other stuff has to suffer and get cut back. No wonder they are pushing MPEG4 so hard.
I agree. . . it's all about watching the Dallas Cowboys for me here in Miami. Especially after the weekly performances of the Dolphins. :grin:

By the way Mike, nice avatar. :)

·
Godfather/Supporter
854 Posts
Honestly it just seems like the usual lineup of people who think they are so special, better than everyone else and should get paid for it.

·
Icon
832 Posts
One of the main reasons I've stuck with D* over the years is the NFL ST. I follow a couple of teams that certainly aren't local and the only reliable way for me to see their games is D*. Quite frankly I couldn't honestly call D* and complain about the loss of some channel I have no intension on watching while NFL ST is on. Might feel differently if my wife was looking to watch "WHATEVER" TV and it was pulled in favor of NFL ST but that hasn't happened so far.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I would have never noticed the missing channels without reading it here. I pay the $9.99 for ESPN/ESPN2. I can count on one hand the number of times I have watched those other HD channels. I think $9.99 is too much, but that's just the way it is. I think DTV should include these free on the Premier package. I guess then everyone would want $50 credits.

Maybe they could eliminate the 100 PPV channels, the 20 shopping channels, the 20 religious channels (church is over by 12 right), and the other dozen or so DTV advertising channels. I could do without these every day.

874 Posts
I didn't even know this was happening until I read the article. Doesn't bother me though as I'm glued to the NFL channels every week. Especially if my Chargers are on.

One thing I did notice is that while D* will black out a game on a standard definition channel if a local station is carrying it, the HD channel isn't blacked out.

·
Icon
545 Posts
So let's see: HD pkg is $9.99 per month!
for that we get what 7 HD chnls?
so that works out to be aprox $1.42 a mnth per chnl?
lets call it .5 a day for each chnl!

4 days a mnth! I think subs to the HD pkg deserve a .20 cents a mnth rebate during football season! That sounds reasonable!:D

I can see people getting credits for legitimate things, but this is rediculous! TNTHD is mostly uprezed crap anyway!!!

·
Icon
692 Posts
I called the 1st time they pulled tnt-hd and complained. I told them I was cancelling and going with another DBS provider being they also had more HD channels, no contracts etc. They offered me credits and hbo/showtime free for 6 months so I could have those 2 HD channels. I stayed with them and now in early DEC I'll have locals in HD as well. I can't get them OTA being too far from the broadcast towers.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.