DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish is sending me a refurbished ViP622 to replace an egregiously misbehaving original 622.

Besides duplicating the existing physical connections to the original 622, what steps need be taken to correctly activate the replacement unit?

The manual provided with the original 622 assumes that a Dish technician has already properly initialized the set. No technician is being provided with the replacement 622!

Thanks, Keith

·
Godfather
316 Posts
I just went through this. I was told to call them when the new unit arrived. So I called them after connecting it up and performing a check switch. The csr stayed on the line with me the whole time. The whole process took around 30min. from the time I unboxed it. Oh, almost forgot you may need to give them the old S and R #'s as well as the ones off the new box. So have them near by.

·
Legend
114 Posts
If you used an EHD with your prior 622 make sure that the home key # is the same in the counters menu. If not when you try and use the EHD it may think you haven't used before and will ask to reformat the drive. A call to Dish to resend would fix that.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fredp said:
If you used an EHD with your prior 622 make sure that the home key # is the same in the counters menu. If not when you try and use the EHD it may think you haven't used before and will ask to reformat the drive. A call to Dish to resend would fix that.
Hi FredP:

I do have EHD connected. However, when I go to Diagnostics|Counters I do not find anything listed as "Home Key." There are 7 "Common Counters" listed and there is a down-pointing arrow that suggests there are more. But I'm unable to use the Up|Down buttons (remote or front panel) to access others in the list!

Any advice?

Keith

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
nKeith said:
Hi FredP:

I do have EHD connected. However, when I go to Diagnostics|Counters I do not find anything listed as "Home Key." There are 7 "Common Counters" listed and there is a down-pointing arrow that suggests there are more. But I'm unable to use the Up|Down buttons (remote or front panel) to access others in the list!

Any advice?

Keith
Use these keys.

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fredp said:
I'm unable to locate "Home Key," but can find "Household Key seq num." Is this the same thing?

Keith

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
You don't really even need to worry about the numbers. After you have the new receiver activated, just plug in your EHD. If the receiver does not like it, it will ask you to format it. DON'T do that of course. Just call Dish back and ask them to send a "hit" to your receiver to fix the EHD. It should be working a few minutes later.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
As long as the receiver is "clean" you should have no problems getting it activated on your account. Just be careful where you buy it. You can ask for the R and S numbers from the receiver before you purchase and call Dish to verify it is clean. However some people have done this and wind up getting a receiver with different R/S numbers that is not clean. Lots of ways to steal your money on these things.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
What does "clean" mean?
If I buy one new from a reputable place (like DishDepot or the Satellite Shop or a Dish authorized reseller) would this protect me?

Dish still is insistent that a technician is required,
so do you still think I can do this?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
By clean I mean there is no money owed Dish for the receiver and it is not on an active account nor on lease from Dish. If you buy new from a dealer you are in good shape but many people buy off eBay or such and wind up with problems.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
OK, thanks again.
If there is anyone who could let me know details about the 722 installation/activation process, I would really be grateful.
Perhaps there is just some thread here someone could point me to...

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
Activation is the same as any other receiver. You just call Dish with the R & S numbers to get it activated on your account. I think Dish want to do the install to make sure you get all the HD content you should be. They may need to install a new dish to pick up additional sats, depending on your previous set up and your location.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
rgsdbstalk said:
If I just go out and buy a 722 receiver, can I swap it for my old 510,
assuming I use dish coax separator ...
More info needed (menu-6-1-1, report the Check Switch summary results), but probably not.

In order to use the Separator (you're on the right track), you also have to have a DishPro Plus switch. I'm guessing that with a 510 you have a Dish 500 with either a legacy Twin or a DP Twin. Both of those require a run to each receiver.

The other thing is that most of the national HD channels and many HD locals come from 61.5° and 129° so you'll need to replace the dish with a Dish 1000.2/1000.4. If you already have a DPP Twin you can add a wing dish.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
So is this the sequence as follows to install a 722 myself?
First, connect the receiver to the dish;
Second, call Dish to activate it;
Third, do the Check-Dish, etc.;
Fourth, call Dish to deactivate old D510 when the new one works.

Thanks again.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
Sounds reasonable. You can swap your second and third steps so you know everything is working before you call Dish. And before you get off the phone you should be seeing your new receiver working so you could deactivate the old receiver on the same call.

Also, you should be able to receive channel 100 even before the receiver is activated so you will know the receiver works.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Thanks again for your help, that's great to know about the channel-100 verification.

If I decide I want my 2nd 722K near my 1st 722K,
can I just split the signal going from the dish in to my first 722K (before the separator, of course), to send to the separator for the 2nd 722K? Can I use an ordinary RatShack 2-way splitter?
Or should I just use the Dish coax coming in to my existing 510D to be safe?
Thx.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.