DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Mentor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and there's finally some snow outside. But it's heavy and wet and blocking the dish signal. The 722 shows page 015, Complete Signal Loss, and says in the meantime I can watch recordings.

I watched one recording and now I can't watch another, nor can I view channels over the air. Each time I hit Play on a recording, message 015 comes up. OTA gives me another dialog with an OK button and hangs the dish, hitting Enter does nothing on that panel.

Is it just hit or miss that we can watch recordings with no signal? I powered off and on and was able to get a few seconds of satellite before it went out again, and the recordings are working now. But I think with these buggy receivers, I'll soon be stuck again.

910 Posts
You can watch recordings when your signal goes out. If your receiver freezes, unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and plug back in to have the receiver reboot. If you are able to safely reach your dish, you could brush off the snow to see if your signal will return. Thanks.

BqWUDUDj said:
I woke up this morning and there's finally some snow outside. But it's heavy and wet and blocking the dish signal. The 722 shows page 015, Complete Signal Loss, and says in the meantime I can watch recordings.

I watched one recording and now I can't watch another, nor can I view channels over the air. Each time I hit Play on a recording, message 015 comes up. OTA gives me another dialog with an OK button and hangs the dish, hitting Enter does nothing on that panel.

Is it just hit or miss that we can watch recordings with no signal? I powered off and on and was able to get a few seconds of satellite before it went out again, and the recordings are working now. But I think with these buggy receivers, I'll soon be stuck again.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
My 1000.4 WA dish is mounted under an overhang and low enough for me to reach should snow collect. So far the overhang has protected the dish from snow accumulation. I observe my neighbors dishes covered in snow while mine has none. Some day the wind will blow from a different direction and then I may need to brush off the dish.

· Legend
183 Posts
A great resin why the installer is doing a favor if he does not install the dish on the peak where you cannot reach it. Keep it lower so you can reach it with a long piece of plastic pipe and brush the snow off.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
garys said:
To get to your ota channels, you may have to press menu then program guide. you may not be able to use the channel numbers to work.
Been there, done that, it works! Just don't forget you are limited to the OTA stations and hit the up/down arrows or you will have to repeat the menu access trick.

I wish that a future software update will make this situation more user friendly.;)

· Mentor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Ray C, but, as I said, I was not able to watch the recordings. The receiver had not frozen but whenever I hit the Play button from the list of recordings, I got back to menu 015.

The menu button also did not work and that's what froze the receiver. I don't often watch OTA and so I wasn't sure of the channel #s. It would accept numeric keypad entry of channels such as 005.

I think with the 722, it's hit or miss on if you can view recordings or not.

I've got some plastic pipe in the garage that I could use to brush snow, but with ten feet of pipe wagging around with me in the cold, wet snow; I'm just as likely to brush a window as the dish. My solution is to put a tennis ball in a plastic bag and tie that to a pull-line. I lob that to the dish and it shakes the snow away. The pull-line lets me return the ball back to where I'm standing for a second try. Bonus points if you can get the line to land on the top of the dish and cut through the snow.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
BqWUDUDj said:
Thanks, Ray C, but, as I said, I was not able to watch the recordings. The receiver had not frozen but whenever I hit the Play button from the list of recordings, I got back to menu 015.

The menu button also did not work and that's what froze the receiver. I don't often watch OTA and so I wasn't sure of the channel #s. It would accept numeric keypad entry of channels such as 005.

I think with the 722, it's hit or miss on if you can view recordings or not.

I've got some plastic pipe in the garage that I could use to brush snow, but with ten feet of pipe wagging around with me in the cold, wet snow; I'm just as likely to brush a window as the dish. My solution is to put a tennis ball in a plastic bag and tie that to a pull-line. I lob that to the dish and it shakes the snow away. The pull-line lets me return the ball back to where I'm standing for a second try. Bonus points if you can get the line to land on the top of the dish and cut through the snow.
For OTA to work you need an antenna connected and scan in those channels to your DVR. Then use the above menu trick to get to the OTA station. Once you are tuned into the OTA channel you should be able to watch DVR recordings.

It's a quirk of the software that gives you the 015 error when you are trying to watch recordings. The OTA trick is the only way I know to avoid the 015 error.

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
My dish is 16 ft on a pole part way up my driveway along some trees. Would you like to clean my dish off while getting 6 in of snow? Mine is a real pain just to get to it.

· Mentor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Michael P said:
For OTA to work you need an antenna connected and scan in those channels to your DVR. Then use the above menu trick to get to the OTA station. Once you are tuned into the OTA channel you should be able to watch DVR recordings.

It's a quirk of the software that gives you the 015 error when you are trying to watch recordings. The OTA trick is the only way I know to avoid the 015 error.
I'll try getting OTA and then going to the recordings to avoid the 015 bug. But, the OTA is also not reliable. Switching to OTA hung my receiver. I have an antenna, channels scanned in, I even record a few PBS programs OTA. It works fine normally but the receiver is not reliable when there's no satellite signal. You can't always view OTA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.