DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Godfather
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my one 200-hour Weaknees TiVo unit with 2 HR20s driving one TV since:

1) I am used to being able to effectively record 4 network programs that occur in same time slot (2 east coast SD network feeds and 2 west coast SD network feeds). [I know that I will not be allowed to get the HD east and west coast feeds as I do now the SD ones. I'll only get HD locals.]

2) I am used to having 200 hours of record time, so having just 100 sounds too small already. (I mainly record network shows, and, once I go from SD to HD, I think I'll have trouble watching SD again.)

Here are my 2 questions:

1) How do I tell the remote which of my two adjacent HR20 I'm talking to? [Since HR20s can run RF, there must be a way to do this; otherwise the HR20 would start switching units in other rooms.]

2) Are there any gotcha's I need to think about? (I know that I'll have to have 2 more lines run in and that'll I need an HD TV with 2 HDMI feeds)?

Thanks

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
1) Follow the instructions in the Remote Setup, to change one of the receivers to AV1/AV2

I run 2 HR20's in my main room, works just fine.

RF though, you will have to use two remotes, as the RC series remotes can only talk to one RF device at a time.

·
Godfather
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
1) Follow the instructions in the Remote Setup, to change one of the receivers to AV1/AV2

I run 2 HR20's in my main room, works just fine.

RF though, you will have to use two remotes, as the RC series remotes can only talk to one RF device at a time.
But could I get one of the programmable remotes and program it to talk (via RF) to both HR20s? Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea or would not work?

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Steve Rhodes said:
1) How do I tell the remote which of my two adjacent HR20 I'm talking to? [Since HR20s can run RF, there must be a way to do this; otherwise the HR20 would start switching units in other rooms.]

Thanks
I posted this in one of my threads after I figured it out....with alot of help. ;)

Figured it out......here is the How-To for others.

WHY: I have a Home Theater room with electronics rack that has all my settops, DVD player, HTPC, etc. These units drive my PJ in my Home Theater but are also linked into every TV in the house thru a crosspoint switch. Each room has IR repeaters that feed into a collector (Xentech) and spiders out to each IR window of each electronic unit in the rack. So, when someone hit s remote key anywhere in the house they control the unit downstairs....the other ignore since they don't recognize the IR codes.

ISSUE: Well I upgraded my HR10-250 and Sony HD300 to the DirecTV HR20 (HD+DVR) and H20 (HD). Well, problem.....both of these units appear to only have one documented IR code set....00001. So, when trying to control one the other reacts too. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the above setup, I'm sure some folks even have TVs close to each other....Den & Kitchen....where this can happen.

SOLUTION: Well, I can tell you after many, many calls to DirecTV support it did not come from them...it came from Edmund. Here are the Newbie steps.

HR20 First:
1) Make sure RC24 remote slider bar is on DirecTV logo
2) In the HR20 go to Menu> Settings> Setup> Remote> IR/RF
3) Select IR if not already and proceed with the hold [MUTE]+[SELECT], then 961, then [PgDn] button selection. This will set Receiver to IR
4) Go ahead on remote and hold [MUTE]+[SELECT] again, then type 00001. This puts 00001 as the code set for this remote....DirecTV slider position.

H20 Next:
1) Slider on RC24 remote is on DirectTV logo....power on H20.
2) In the HR20 go to Menu> Settings> Setup> Remote> Receiver Mode. You will see either DIRECTV or AV1/AV2, click on whichever to reveal both at the same time. Press AV1/AV2. At this point the remote will not work so you'll need to go to the H20 unit front panel and use the arrow buttons to select [DONE] on the screen. This has now set this H20 Receiver to understand the code sets from AV1/AV2 slider position.
3) Go ahead on remote put the slider on AV1 position. Now go ahead and hold [MUTE]+[SELECT] again, then type 00002. This puts 00002 as the code set for this remote....AV1 slider position.

OK....done. Now when the RC24 remote slider is on DirecTV logo is controls HR20, when on AV1 it controls H20.

So, for me having a Home Theater and wanting to integrate the functions into a Philips Pronto although I do not know the discrete IR code sets I can perform learn functions with the RC24 remote to my Pronto for both slider positions

·
Godfather
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thekochs said:
I posted this in one of my threads after I figured it out....with alot of help. ;)

OK....done. Now when the RC24 remote slider is on DirecTV logo is controls HR20, when on AV1 it controls H20.
Would this technique work also with 2 HR20s?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Steve Rhodes said:
Would this technique work also with 2 HR20s?
It will work for ANY 2 DirecTV branded receivers:

D10, D11, R15, H20, HR20, Samsung FlipTop, Humax LCD

I don't think the RC series of remotes can communicate to TWO HR20's via both being RF

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
redbirdruss said:
I have tried this 3 times with no luck. Anyone else having problems?
Try what? You aren't the OP, so we have no idea what you trying do?

1. One remote, both RF, can't be done.
2. One remote RF & IR, yes that can be done.
3. One remote, with two set IR, yes that can be done too.

·
Remote Master
1,820 Posts
redbirdruss said:
1 remote 2 IR.

I went through the above step by step 3 times and cannot get it to work.
Now both receivers are set to IR, but they respond to the same remote at the same time, right? Program AV1 device with code 00002, slide back to dtv device and see this thread:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-sat/thread.cgi?2813,1#2

Of course cover one receiver up, so it won't see the above remote commands.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
:)
thekochs said:

WHY: I have a Home Theater room with electronics rack that has all my settops, DVD player, HTPC, etc. These units drive my PJ in my Home Theater but are also linked into every TV in the house thru a crosspoint switch. Each room has IR repeaters that feed into a collector (Xentech) and spiders out to each IR window of each electronic unit in the rack. So, when someone hit s remote key anywhere in the house they control the unit downstairs....the other ignore since they don't recognize the IR codes.

ISSUE: Well I upgraded my HR10-250 and Sony HD300 to the DirecTV HR20 (HD+DVR) and H20 (HD). Well, problem.....both of these units appear to only have one documented IR code set....00001. So, when trying to control one the other reacts too. I'm sure I'm not the only one with the above setup, I'm sure some folks even have TVs close to each other....Den & Kitchen....where this can happen.

SOLUTION: Well, I can tell you after many, many calls to DirecTV support it did not come from them...it came from Edmund. Here are the Newbie steps.

HR20 First:
1) Make sure RC24 remote slider bar is on DirecTV logo
2) In the HR20 go to Menu> Settings> Setup> Remote> IR/RF
3) Select IR if not already and proceed with the hold [MUTE]+[SELECT], then 961, then [PgDn] button selection. This will set Receiver to IR
4) Go ahead on remote and hold [MUTE]+[SELECT] again, then type 00001. This puts 00001 as the code set for this remote....DirecTV slider position.

H20 Next:
1) Slider on RC24 remote is on DirectTV logo....power on H20.
2) In the HR20 go to Menu> Settings> Setup> Remote> Receiver Mode. You will see either DIRECTV or AV1/AV2, click on whichever to reveal both at the same time. Press AV1/AV2. At this point the remote will not work so you'll need to go to the H20 unit front panel and use the arrow buttons to select [DONE] on the screen. This has now set this H20 Receiver to understand the code sets from AV1/AV2 slider position.
3) Go ahead on remote put the slider on AV1 position. Now go ahead and hold [MUTE]+[SELECT] again, then type 00002. This puts 00002 as the code set for this remote....AV1 slider position.

So, for me having a Home Theater and wanting to integrate the functions into a Philips Pronto although I do not know the discrete IR code sets I can perform learn functions with the RC24 remote to my Pronto for both slider positions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.